The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
350TacoZilla

Re: 1963 GMC C30 panel truck

Hey thats got a nice sheen to it for marine vinyl! I like it paired with the G fabric, originally I liked the G or A fabric samples you had paired with the D vinyl, good call on the thread matching the seat belts to give contrast to the fabric\vinyl.

I know its not a big priority at this point but what are plans on steering wheel? I'm also going to be using a dodge column and had thought about trying to use a later model GMC wheel with it rather than the normal parts store grant wheel I have used in like 5 other trucks lol.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
AJCK87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Hey thats got a nice sheen to it for marine vinyl! I like it paired with the G fabric, originally I liked the G or A fabric samples you had paired with the D vinyl, good call on the thread matching the seat belts to give contrast to the fabric\vinyl.

I know its not a big priority at this point but what are plans on steering wheel? I'm also going to be using a dodge column and had thought about trying to use a later model GMC wheel with it rather than the normal parts store grant wheel I have used in like 5 other trucks lol.
Hey 350! Thanks I’m happy and moving on with the fabric choices, I have them all ready to go, even though I really would prefer one of the SMS vinyls, just can’t justify the extra expense o well. I have decided to add headrests the the 2nd and 3rd rows as well. Just want the extra bit of neck protection for my passengers.

For the wheel, I would really like to get the stock GMC wheel on there. Just like the style best plus it all cleaned, repaired and ready to go. Project for the future. The Dodge wheel will do for now. If it doesn’t work with the Dodge column, i figure I will go with a nice tilt column later on.

Well Vancouver Island got a bunch of snow.... which has slowed down progreess a bit hahaha. But I have been back on it this last weekend. I have been getting the seat belts installed the brackets figured for the top of the back rest. Also picked up the foam for the 3rd row. Yesterday I started sandblasting the seat spring frame. I will have to get the frames blasted and painted, foam shaped and more on the brackets figured. Then the seats should be ready for fabric and vinyl.
Attached Images

AJCK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
AJCK87

Still have some figuring to do on the top brackets. Don’t want anything to bulky, trying to make it very strong and low profile so you don’t feel it with your shoulder through the back rest foam. I will have to fabricate the head rest mounts as well.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
AJCK87

Little more progress on the 3rd row. Brackets are done for the seat belts then spent some time sand blasting the seat and spring frames. The spring frame is now in Por-15 and now I’m just waiting for the new seat springs to get here. The head rests came in with the guides so I started the layout and fab for the brackets for those. This will definitely make these seats a bit more comfortable not to mention safer hahaha. Need to make and install another set of brackets for the next head rest then onto shaping some foam.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
AJCK87

Will be recovering the head rests
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
AJCK87

And the guides and brackets
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
AJCK87

Little bit more work done today. But I will be taking a couple of weeks off here to really power through and get this rig rolling!

My springs came in! Got them all cut to length, went with a 2” rise in the spring arch. Just painted them with a little POR-15, then I can install them in the frame
Attached Images