The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
1956cameo

Questions about my blazer

I need help figuring some things out. First of some info. I have A 72 4WD blazer. It is not in the greatest shape but it is all original and very complete.

My first question is this: The blazer does not have the CST trim option, however when I was looking at it today I noticed something peculiar. On the passenger side door it had circular cracks in the paint right where the cst badge should go (assuming that badge has bolts going thru the door to hold it in place and is not simply glued on). Did they drill all doors to have cst emblem and then fill in the ones that werent cst. Or is this something else. I dont think the door has been replaced because the door manufacture stickers show it for my truck.

Second question: My front bucket seats apear to be original but if they are they have obviously been re covered. They bolt down and latch to the floor boards properly and the pass. side flips forward and down connecting to the bottom latches properly. Also the top of the seat bottoms are level with the top of the center console. However the back plastic panel part is slightly curved back toward the bottom of the seat. Is this correct; did they all do this. Or has someone done a good job of putting in non factory seats. The rear seat I know is correct because it hasnt been re covered, but the front ones I am not 100% sure about.

Sorry no pics I dont know how to put them on the forum from my digital camera. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: Questions about my blazer

First question, I'd assume that the truck has had the door replaced at some point in time and that is why it has the circular marks from the emblem. The vehicle may have been in an accident early in it's life. The doors were only drilled for the emblems if they go them. Do you have side trim or can you see similar marks from trim mounting holes?

Second, I'm not exactly sure what you are describing . The seat backs are basically flat on both utility and standard buckets. The utility buckets have metal backs and the standards have plastic. Here's some pics of seat backs I have on my computer. They're not very good, but maybe they'll help.
Attached Images

Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

I agree with bouncy on the likelyhood of the door being replaced at some time. If it never had the emblem it would never have been drilled. Is there ANY evidence of this on the driver door or only the passenger?

I have no clue on the seat question.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
1956cameo

Thanks for the input. I will take a closer look at the door tommorow to see if it also has lower body trim holes that have also been sealed off. I will also check to see if the drivers side door has the cst holes drilled in it.

As for the seat question. I know I am not conveying my question very well. In the pictures that bouncy truck posted, at the bottom of the pic where the seat gets cut off from the pic. At that point my seat backs curve a slight bit. Instead of bieng a straight piece from the top of the seat to the bottom. That is what I was wondering about; if that was normal or if it would seem that because of that the seats arent original.

I will take pics this weekend of all the things I am talking about and will try to post them onto the thread.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
Thanks for the input. I will take a closer look at the door tommorow to see if it also has lower body trim holes that have also been sealed off. I will also check to see if the drivers side door has the cst holes drilled in it.

As for the seat question. I know I am not conveying my question very well. In the pictures that bouncy truck posted, at the bottom of the pic where the seat gets cut off from the pic. At that point my seat backs curve a slight bit. Instead of bieng a straight piece from the top of the seat to the bottom. That is what I was wondering about; if that was normal or if it would seem that because of that the seats arent original.

I will take pics this weekend of all the things I am talking about and will try to post them onto the thread.
If you can't figure out how to post them, send me a PM and I'll send you my email address. I can scale them to the correct size if necessary and post in this thread.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
1956cameo

Thanks bouncytruck. I will do that! However it most likely wont be until sunday.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
Thanks bouncytruck. I will do that! However it most likely wont be until sunday.
I'll be here all week...
Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
1956cameo

Well I didnt get to post pics to get my questions answered. I bought a 72 suburban in Austin on saturday; and on the way home my dads 96 suburban broke down. So I didnt get home until noon sunday and that was with about 3 hours of sleep. I will post pics hopefully on friday when I also try to post pics of my new 72 suburban.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

congrats on the 'burb.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
1956cameo

These are the seats in question from my second question on this thread. They have obviously been re-covered but just want peace of mind that they are in fact the originals. Tell me what you guys think. Are they original 1972 blazer seats or from a newer blazer. See how the pass side leans back a little further?

Picture of the latching mechanisms on the passenger side.

The part that really has me concerned as to whether or not they are original. In all of the pics that I have seen of blazer seats the back plastic part appears flat. As you can see mine curves (on passenger side only), however the drivers side back plastic panel is straight. Maybe this is just the work of some one doing a bad job re-upholstering the seat?

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 10-17-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #11
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

That's a tough one. My first thought was those were not factory seats, but the tilt hardware looks correct and the pattern on the seat back, but not the curve. They appear to be taller on the sides than factory, but that could be someone's custom addition when they recovered them (based on the extra lip that wraps around to the back in the second picture. I think the seat back frame on the passenger side is just bent causing that curve.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
drunkbus

It looks like the previous owner had a very large friend. It looks like an original seat just bent to sh-t.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
1956cameo

Thanks for the replies. Everytime I am convinced one way or another I notice something that makes me change my mind. It is very possible that the pass. seat is very bent. The guy I bought it from used the blazer for offroading. I could see someone of larger size bouncing in that seat on a rough trail and putting a permanent mark into it.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

When I first got my blazer it had seats from a 73+ blazer in it but they were bolted to the original mounting hardware. The seats were weakened and when a large friend of mine was helping me bleed the brakes, his back put too much pressure on the old seats when holding the pedal. He bent the seats all to hell.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
BLUE THUNDER

Seats look factory. Even before I read the comments I thought to myself, someone bent the $hit out of the passenger side seat. If you're considering stock seats a trip to the salvage yard is in your future. Otherwise, 2000 or newer front and third row seats are the way to go. BTW, nice rig. Later, Mario.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
1956cameo

Thanks for the replies. So its kind of a good news bad news situation. They are most likely original; but some big old Nebraskan boy (where truck is from) bent it entirely out of shape.