The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Jeffh

'60 Windshield Gasket

Alright who makes the best 60 windshield rubber? Meaning fits the best which I would assume would make the installation easier. I have heard Steele was the best but at a little over $130 with shipping I am dragging my feet a little...
Jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
rcnutt

Re: '60 Windshield Gasket

Steele rubber.....spendy but the best
rcnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
forestb

I got one from Steele rubber and the installation guy tried to install it with the trim and he said he was never going to try to install one with the trim again. I don't know if it was because of the gasket or if the trim made it really difficult. I have found that the rubber is not vary pliable. I have heard a lot of good thing about Precision. I got there door weather stripping and I liked it much more than Steele rubber.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I recently re-installed my front windshield in my '63 with a Precision Replacement Parts seal with the stainless trim. I may have received a bad Steele seal, but I had to give up on it. The Precision seal was a perfect fit and didn't pull away from the lower radius of the A-pillar. Plus, it was nearly $40 less expensive.
Attached Images

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
jayoldschool

After many positive reviews here, I used Precision for my 65 with trim, and buddy's 63 no trim. Both fit fine and work with no issues.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
I recently re-installed my front windshield in my '63 with a Precision Replacement Parts seal with the stainless trim. I may have received a bad Steele seal, but I had to give up on it. The Precision seal was a perfect fit and didn't pull away from the lower radius of the A-pillar. Plus, it was nearly $40 less expensive.
Sounds like we had the same problem except I was too lazy to try it again and still have the stainless pulling away.

Did you install it yourself or have someone else install it?
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

I installed it myself. It makes it a lot easier to have a couple of friends help. The second time, I just had one buddy available, but the Precision seal was a better fit and easier to install, so it all went smoothly.

In my case, I set the stainless trim in the seal, and installed the seal around the glass and held the assembly in place with masking tape. I let the windshield sit upright for a couple of weeks in my shop office to allow the seal to relax and conform better to the shape of the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
Sounds like we had the same problem except I was too lazy to try it again and still have the stainless pulling away.

Did you install it yourself or have someone else install it?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
sirJim

Quote:
I had just the the other way around. Was like the presision seal was just a bit thicker and wouldent seat in alle the way . They all are just a bit different.

62 burb in the making.
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
doobiebro

Quote:
yup I had the same outcome around the lower radius with Steele seals. Where did you order your Precision seals at, what vendor? Thanks.
66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirJim View Post
I had just the the other way around. Was like the presision seal was just a bit thicker and wouldent seat in alle the way . They all are just a bit different.
It should be a bit thicker than the old one you're replacing since they shrink and dry over time. Mine was quite a bit thicker than the one I had cut out, but using foaming dish soap, glass cleaner, and a buddy to press on the windshield from the outside while I worked the seal lip over the seam with the cord and gasket tool, it went a lot easier than the first time with the Steele seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobiebro View Post
yup I had the same outcome around the lower radius with Steele seals. Where did you order your Precision seals at, what vendor? Thanks.
I got the windshield seal and the other door, vent, and rear glass seals, channels, etc. directly from Precision. But, if one of their distributors/vendors is running a sale, that would be a great option.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #11
jayoldschool

So... one positive for Steele, and everyone else that has had success has used Precision. RCnutt, did you use Steele?
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #12
62c30

On my 62 the Steele gasket would not work but I got one from cjponyparts that worked good.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 AM   #13
rcnutt

Used Steele on my 62 C10 and my 64 Biscayne ,worked well for both. The gasket on my 64 C10 was in there when I got it and it’s pliable but short on the bottom corners....going to replace it but not sure what brand it is.
rcnutt is offline   Reply With Quote