The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
WB72
Before and After

Window regulators.

Is there any point to removing and rebuilding the window regulators out of a 72? Repop ones are like $30 per side. Are they good quality?

Mine are just plain hard to roll both up and down. Before I disassemble, I would like to know if they are worth saving and repair, or order new ones before I disassemble so they can be reinstalled that day.

If I rebuild, what should I expect to do for smooth operation? What parts should I have on hand?

I'm sure they have not been serviced in 45 years.

Thanks in advance.
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
sockalaminski

Re: Window regulators.

From my personal experiences with aftermarket products, it really depends on the quality, engineering and material selection of the manufacturer. For example, my son has a '72 C10 and purchased replacement regulators, (the $30 ones), and within 3 months, both sides had she window crank shaft sheer off at the beginning of the splines. They were made of mild steel. This would not have happened if the shafts were made of the correct material as the OEM units were. He found a set of regulators produced by another company that were produced in the US. They were not exactly like the OEM units but performed flawlessly for the past six years. They were also $170 apiece.

We see this problem with a lot of different repops like hood hinges. The factory hood hinge steel is very rigid and strong and lasted 4+ decades but the aftermarket ones just a couple years and tend to be weak and flemsy although they are made of the same gauge of steel. This is because they are using the wrong alloy of sheet steel. The correct alloy would work harden during the stamping process and produce a much stronger part. It all comes down to the almighty buck.

There are some good repop companies out there but you never know what you are going to get until it arrives at the door.

I've found it's best to either rebuild the OEM stuff as long as it is still in good shape, IE, not rusty to the point of damage and or bent. Rivets can be drilled out, bronze bushings can be replaced and good rollers can be sourced. It will probably cost more between time and parts to rebuild the old stuff, but at least it'll last.
sockalaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
big mike71

Mine were really hard to roll up and down. I sprayed WD40 on the moving parts and silicone on the tracks and they work fine now
Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
outfield

I pulled my driver side regulator out this last Monday following instructions I found on the forum. I oiled up the regulator, (used motor oil), greased the tracks (used lithium grease) the rollers roll in, and it works flawlessly now. Plus, now I know how to pull the wing window out when its time to replace all the winch felt and moldings.
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote