The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
GMJimmy

Upper & Lower Control arm shafts

I've been a mechanic for more than 40 years and in all that time I've never had the opportunity to work on the style of upper and lower control arm shafts and bushings found on the 67 to 72 C10 trucks. My new to me truck needs some attention there and I've found that one of the bushings that should rotate with the arm when it moves up and down stays still with the shaft. I haven't taken all this completely apart yet and was wondering if the threads in the A arm where the bushing screws in may be stripped? My lower A arms have had the bump stop and steering stop brackets removed by the previous owner so I'm thinking of replacing both of them with aftermarket arms if it's stripped. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
David67

Re: Upper & Lower Control arm shafts

The shaft is threaded on both ends. The bushing has both internal and external threads. Can the bushing be tightened any more into the control arm?

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David67 View Post
The shaft is threaded on both ends. The bushing has both internal and external threads. Can the bushing be tightened any more into the control arm?
Good point thanks! I did try to move it and it does seem to move but didn't try to move it too much. I'll give that a try. Won't be able to try until Thursday though.
Thanks
Jim
Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
GMJimmy

Well it would appear that who ever had this front end apart at one time turned the bushing in all the way on the shaft threads and didn't bottom out the threads in the control arm. This fixed the bushing tight on the shaft and allowed the bushing to rotate in the control arm instead of on the shaft wearing the threads out of the control arm. I could fix it by readjusting the bushings then weld the bushing to the control arm but I probably couldn't sleep knowing that it isn't right even though I know it will work. Both control arms have had the bump stops and steering stops removed so I think new repro control arms are in my future. Has anyone used the repro control arms and are they any good or am I going to be looking for some nice used ones?
Thanks
Jim
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
David67

I agree with not welding them. If the bushings are original, they may need to be replaced. You can get a new shaft with seals and bearings for about $30. I do not have experience with the repro ones but they're pricey. I would look for an original. Which side do you need?

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

IG: david_r67
David67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David67 View Post
I agree with not welding them. If the bushings are original, they may need to be replaced. You can get a new shaft with seals and bearings for about $30. I do not have experience with the repro ones but they're pricey. I would look for an original. Which side do you need?
Well because the left A arm needs to be replaced and they both have the stops and bumpers removed I don't really think I should replace one unless I cut the stop and bumper off the replacement too so I'm gonna replace both with either good used ones or repro's.
Thanks