The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #51
NC_John

Re: 1970 C10 LWB "Blu"

I got the machine shop to go over everything for me- the block, heads and crank.

They magnafluxed everything and made sure it was good to go. The block got hot-tanked, bored 030 over, new cam bearings got put in and I had them install the freeze plugs. The crank got checked out and just needed a polish to make good as new. The heads got the works. Decked, new hardened valve seats, new guides and valves. They installed my comp cam valvetrain parts and checked the springs against the lift of the new cam I was putting in.

I got my stuff back and it looked fantastic- like brand new.... Pretty cool for 43 yr old parts...

I got a bunch of performance parts from summit and jegs and some basic parts (bearings, rings, new 030 over pistons) from the machine shop. My garage looks like a UPS truck exploded. (which answers the question - what does a pair of head gaskets cost? about $1,500 in machine work and other parts!)

On Friday I gave the block a final soapy hot water wash with dawn dishwashing detergent and a hot water pressure washer at work. I cleaned, cleaned and cleaned it again.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #52
Hardesty454

Nice update! Keep em coming.

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #53
71cheynne402

Looks awesome!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #54
NC_John

Yesterday I took advantage of some terrific December weather (70 degree temps) and gave the block a coat of paint. Chevy Orange VHT. If its as durable as it looks good, I should be all set.

I put the paint on so thick I even had to wetsand some runs out of the timing cover and oil pan (my OCD was kicking in). I also did a lot of the other parts- fan, water pump, balancer, bellhousing, etc... Everything on the engine is going to be chevy orange or hot-rod black. Should look really good and really true to stock.

So the garage is still a huge mess but at least its a more painted/clean mess.

I bought a bunch of sheetmetal too. Rad support, inner fenders....rockers, cab corners, some other small patch panels for the front fenders. With the front end already off, now might be the time to get the brunt of the rust repair done too.

This is way more than I wanted to do this fast but the truck should look (sound, and run) pretty good this spring.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
Nice update! Keep em coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cheynne402 View Post
Looks awesome!!!
Thanks guys.

I'm seriously considering getting it on a trailer and taking it to a frame shop to get the frame 100% straight before it goes back together. Then to the body shop to get the bodywork done. All of the bodywork I need done is below the lower molding so I'll be able to keep 90% of the original paint and should be able to fake patina the new close enough to match.

I'm going to get the engine buttoned back up, make some room in the garage and sort out the remaining details.... like what transmission I am going to put back in. The old three-speed Saginaw might not last too long behind the new engine (should be 350+ hp based on the parts I am putting in).

Maybe paint the front section of the frame? Disc brakes up front.....

ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #56
hookedonchevys

HA,its good to see I'm not the only one that starts one little project that turns into a huge one!Nice truck keep up the good work!
hookedonchevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #57
gread

There are some great ideas on this thread. I'm just starting on a project of my own. You will be my first subscription, keep up the good work!
gread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #58
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by gread View Post
There are some great ideas on this thread. I'm just starting on a project of my own. You will be my first subscription, keep up the good work!
thanks- I need to do an update- this may be the bump I need. Engine is about back together...

Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #59
Chuck the Truck

Nice build!!!!!
I just bought a 1970 GMC 1500 w/ 3 spd for my daughter as a project truck. She will be driving it in a year, so she should know the in's and out's of Her truck by that time.
She was inspired by "Farm Truck" from Street outlaws. I stumbled onto your thread here and love that you are doing exactly what needs to be done to her's.
Please continue to update, and I hope that I may bother you from time to time with some questions.
thanks
Chuck the Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #60
NC_John

Update time.....

Engine is pretty much together from oil pan to valve covers. Everything is painted and the intake is powder coated to match.

The transmission has been gone through (great shape throughout now with new seals and gaskets). I'm going to put the Saginaw back in for this year and transplant a nascar 5-spd unit next year.

I took the (original) rad to get cleaned and checked out and its toast. I'm waiting for the price to have it recored.

My bodyman came over last week and is working on a price to do my rockers, cab corners, patch the front fenders..... Hopefully I'll be flatbedding it over that way soon to let him have his way with it.

Progress is slow but going well.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #61
NC_John

Things are going to happen quick now....

I am on the schedule at my buddy's body/resto shop. He has a $2 million (yes, MILLION) dollar Shelby Cobra in there right now waiting to get picked up and hauled back up to NJ.

This car has got a really early SN and some serious documented racing pedigree giving it the crazy value....

When this one gets picked up, a $65K Austin Healy is coming in......

Then Blu!

They're doing the outer rockers, cab corners, bottom of the kick panels, one cab support and my front fenders. David was a little perplexed why I wanted him to leave all the blue paint alone and only blow in white below the lower molding where he'll be doing all the work. He was ready to do a frame-off for me. Maybe later.... I want to run the patina'd paint for a while.

The Austin Healy should be done by Mid-Feb so I have to rush like crazy to get mine ready to go as soon as he's ready.

This weekend I am painting the frame with a coating David recommended (he uses it on all the cobras and GT-40's that roll through his place).

http://www.tat-co.com/products/speci...ip-guard-4313/

Then the engine is going in sometime next week. It's pretty much ready to go. The transmission is done and I just picked up my clutch kit yesterday. My CPP motor mounts just came in. I'm going to bolt it up but not plumb or wire it (won't have time with all the other prep). (I don't know why the pic is upside down....)

I'm going to have to bring him my new rad support on Monday- he'll be in the booth spraying black and has a satin that he says looks great underhood.

I need the rad support painted so I can get the front clip back on (he wants it on when I bring it to the shop). The engine is going in prior to the body shop for one very good reason.... David is going to do the alignment on all my panels so I'd rather put the engine in now while its easy and let him do his magic on my sheetmetal. He is going to save me hours and hours (if not days) and he'll do a way better job than I could ever dream of.

I'm bringing him the truck without the bed and with the bench seat and gas tank removed. (I'll do some work to the bed later). I'm wondering now if I should c-notch it before I put the bed back on.... Hmmmm.....

I scored a set of mid-60's poverty caps that are on their way from the seller in Canada. Those with a set of freshly painted but low-key steelies should look fantastic.

My rad is being recored by a local old-school shop. They are using my original tanks and putting in a new 3-row brass/copper core that'll be better than anything aftermarket I can get. It'll be a perfect fit and I'll still have the original tanks and factory tags on it.

When the truck gets back from the shop (end of feb, beginning of march), I can finish the engine and engine bay and knock out all the rest of the stuff on the punch list to have it ready to go.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #62
darkhorse970

Nice build! Those '67 hubcaps will look great on the steelies!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #63
NC_John

I got the front clip finished last weekend- cleaned, wirewheeled and painted with John Deere paint (the semi-gloss black has a perfect finish). I am stoked at how clean the frame is after a little bit of cleaning. It kills me not to be able to completely tear it down, media blast it and finish it properly but I'll do that in a few years. I bolted my new CPP motor mounts on.

Yesterday I gutted the cab (seat, carpet and gas tank) to get it ready for the body shop. I got my cab mount bolts loosened up and did the gas pedal conversion for the cable throttle. I did some detail and cleanup work on the firewall and then really got to work....

The engine finally, after several long months, got off the stand and assembled with the flywheel, new clutch set and freshly gone-over transmission.

And then- a buddy and I got it planted back in the truck. It went pretty good- we didn't bump scratch or damage anything. We had to really fight to get all the motor mounts lined up (especially the rear mounts), but we got it done without having to use a lot of "persuasion".

I am a pretty happy guy. I can start tinkering around now bolting on the accessories and other stuff. I'm getting my newly painted repop rad support back and then can bolt the front end back together around the new powerplant. I'll be about ready to fire it up when it comes back from the bodyshop.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #64
NC_John

A ton of stuff has gotten done since the fall and a ton of money has been spent...

Truck got to the body shop and got new outer rockers, cab corners, the front fenders and rear cab supports were patched. No paintwork was done above the lower molding line.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #65
rusty76

Any updates on this truck? I enjoyed reading it so far and just hoped there would be a few updates.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #66
NC_John

Thanks for asking. I'm not much of an attention whore but nobody seemed to be interested so I didn't bother updating.

Yeah, its been back apart and out the road a little while. Definitely not finished and still a seemingly endless work in progress. This is at the Goodguys Southeast Nationals a couple weeks ago.

Under the hood...

The exhaust...

How it sounds (just back from the exhaust shop):

http://vid780.photobucket.com/albums...psjvn5tacz.mp4

The interior (so far, a good ways to go still):

And a bunch of shiny stuff underneath:

I just picked up a 4L60E to swap out the Saginaw three-on-the-tree (which doesn't get along with the new engine). Need to get a torque converter, electronic controller, crossmember, steering column etc. Going to go posi in the rear with 3.73 gears... Figuring out my plan for the front end.... More drop, front and rear, disc brakes, rack and peanut steering. The usual nonsense that is keeping me poor.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #67
mvesr

Looking good. Keep us posted on progress.

Mika
mvesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #68
kyuss

That is coming along really nicely. Great looking rig.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #69
sprint_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
I got a bunch of performance parts from summit and jegs and some basic parts (bearings, rings, new 030 over pistons) from the machine shop. My garage looks like a UPS truck exploded. (which answers the question - what does a pair of head gaskets cost? about $1,500 in machine work and other parts!)

Sounds like something my dad would say about the head gaskets and what the outcome would be.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #70
67chevy1series

Trucks looking good! I like the stance! I really like the idea of keeping the patina but then redoing all things mechanical
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #71
KSWes

Looks awesome!

My Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=513002
KSWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #72
Hugh Mongus

Nice write-up. I enjoy reading it.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #73
mitchell72

Love the attention to detail. This is an awesome thread. Much of what i have in mind.
mitchell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #74
flashed

I must have missed where you installed the rear end set up ,what are your trailing arms connected to ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #75
steelhorse

Looks great. Keep us posted on any updates.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote