The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Raymond

Ok... Lets start at the beginning... I am going to give you the long history of this truck...

July 1966 My Dad went to Branine Chevrolet in Mulvane, Ks and spoke to his friend Don Branine (owner) to order a 1966 Chevy Pickup to put his slide in camper in... When he got there he was informed that he could no longer order a 66 that the 1967's were being ordered and it had a complete change in styling... They didn't have any pictures of the new model but had the order specs... Well dad looked over the specs and decided that he would go ahead and order a 1967 C-20 Custom Camper... At the time, dad ordered a Light Blue (code 507) and White (code 521) two tone Truck... Well time went by and the order got kicked back for some reason so Dad and Don set down to figure out why it was kicked out... I don't know the answer to why it was but anyway they reordered the truck... Well somehow Don screwed up the order and didn't get the Two tone ordered....

The beginning of November 1966, Dad got a call ( not on his cell phone... LOL) and was told that the truck came in but there was a problem and it was solid white not two tone... Dad being the calm control person he was (NOT!!!!) he calmly (NOT!!!) told him he would be over... Dad and I got in his 62 Chevy pickup and headed for the dealership...

When we got there, the truck was setting out in front ready to go in to be setup for delivery... Dad got out, walked over to the truck and turned around and looked at me and said "Damn that is a ugly truck"... I know now that at the time he said that from it just not being exactly what he wanted... But there was a C-10 sitting there in the lt. blue/white two tone and dad said that maybe the white would be better but went in to "renegotiate" the deal... After much discussion Dad and Don came to a mutual agreement...

Dad got his truck and hauled his camper all over the USA with the first few years towing a boat then later on towing a 5th wheel camper...

Fast Forward to 12/4/04... Dad passed away and I inherited the 67 Pickup... This is what he said would happen the day he bought it and he kept it all those years just for that reason... He owned other pickups during those years and basically retired the 67 from service and just used it for play and to haul stuff in from time to time...

When my mother passed 3/8/11 my sisters and I were cleaning out my parents house and I was loading up the rest of my inheritance (all of dads tools, equipment and basically all of the garage stuff)... We had the truck sitting in my parents garage on Sunday night and decided to leave it there that night because we were worn out and we would go back over Monday after work and get the truck that was loaded to the hilt ( looked like the Beverly Hillbillies) and take it home and unload it...

Well the next morning I get a phone call from my sister asking if I had came and got the truck... I told her nope, she then informed me it was gone... Some assholes broke into my parents garage approximately 20:00 Sunday evening and stole the truck and all the contents... Man I was devastated...

Two nights later Around 22:30 I get a phone call from the Wichita, Ks police department saying they had found the truck but it had been stripped and would I like to meet them or just have it towed somewhere... My wife and I went to where the truck was located, they were dusting it and making their report ( that is all the fricking police department did on this stolen truck and I believe that was only for show not for actual attempting to solve the crime)... Two weeks later I called the Police department and asked if they had any leads and was told at that point it hadn't even been assigned to a detective... Anyway we won't get into what I think of the Police department...

Anyway, we tow what's left of the truck to the house and stick it in the garage... Man guys I have to tell you I was just destroyed I couldn't even look at the truck for like a month...

My wife and I for months tossed around to try and decide what to do with this truck, do I just send it to the crusher or do I want to "restore" it back to its original glory... After alot of cussing and discussing we decided that there is a good history here with this truck and this was to be passed on to my oldest son (we will see if I EVER let that happen)... So I started collecting parts to build it back as the C-20 Pickup that it was...

I have to tell you guys my heart really could never wrap itself around the restoration... I was going through the motions of getting stuff for the truck (lots of help on parts from Mike (cash3481) and Randy (teeitup) but there was just no excitement in the restoration...

One night sitting out on the patio having a scotch, my wife looked at me and said why don't you just build the truck you always wanted which is a C-10 Short Fleetside... So after alot discussion, away we went which brings us to today...

I sold /gave away all of the longbed stuff that I had collected Went to Kansas City to Classic Parts of America and spent about 5K and bought a New Fleetside bed, cab Floors, and alot of other stuff... Then with the help of some friends (specifically Mike "cash3481") we are underway...

In the following post are pics of where we came from (starting when Dad owned it) to now...

Thanks for reading... Dan

DONATIONS WELCOMED...

Last edited by Elliot949; 11-20-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Re: I think it is time to actually start my build thread for "Class Act"

Here is the Spid for the Truck:

This is what the truck looked like right before I got it...

Here it is the spring after I got it

This is what it looked like after it was recovered from being stolen:

Here is the Chassis:

And as it sits loosely together getting ready to go to the body shop for a floor install:

On the trailer heading To Chris Carlson's Hot Rods to get the floor installed plus some other things:

Last edited by Elliot949; 02-01-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
70LonghornCST

Looking good! I can't wait to see as she comes together.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
flashed

Good looking truck ,I want some side steps like it used to have .Cant wait to see the finished truck.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

never will it have running boards again... I took them off because I thought the were hideous... LOL
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Looking good now though.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Petes c10

Man what a story! It's turning out nice , I'm doin a c10 now too.
Petes c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Here are a couple of items I have gotten for the truck so far...

Here is a new Chrome Brake Booster:

Here are some of the original Front Fender Custom Camper emblems I got from a fellow Board member:

Then I spent the big Bucks and sent the to Advance Plating in Tennessee and had the re-chromed I still need to do the paint detailing:

Here are some polished billet Aluminum visor clips that I also got from a board member:

I scored these perfect NOS Headlight Bezels from a board member these are AWESOME!!!!:

I just made a deal for this setup for the 327... I am just a old school hotrodder and think the 3 deuce setup is exactly what this truck needs:

More to come later... Thanks for looking... Dan
Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Here are some pics of it back in the day...

Truck and Boat from about 1967

Truck and Camper from about 1970

Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Low Elco

Spent many hours in the exact same truck going back and forth from Valley Center to Cheney, Marion, and El Dorado in the 80's. Great story, sorry for what happened, glad it's proceeding! Them boys at Chaotic know what they're doing!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
slowcpe

Nice truck and cool story. Looks like its going to be a sweet ride when you are finished.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Spent many hours in the exact same truck going back and forth from Valley Center to Cheney, Marion, and El Dorado in the 80's. Great story, sorry for what happened, glad it's proceeding! Them boys at Chaotic know what they're doing!
So you were in this truck???... do I know you?...
Old 01-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

I am hoping that the body gets to the Media Blaster early next week......
Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
mcbassin
Still Learning

Cool story. Sorry some jerk stole your truck. I would be so pissed!
Looks like you're off and going on the new game plan. I'm in....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

I just found out From ksbrktracer that My new Tail Light shipped today... I am major league stoked about this... My Polished Fesler Tail Lights...
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Work Started today at Chris Carlson's Hot Rods...
Attached Images

Last edited by Elliot949; 02-01-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
So you were in this truck???... do I know you?...
Probably not, unless you have people along 53rd st. N. between Meridian and Arkansas.

My dad had that truck's twin for years. White 67 3/4 ton CST Camper special. 327, T400, AC, split rims. Usually had cab-high racks in it for hauling firewood. We also had the big slide-in camper. Towed a 66 16' Mark Twain with it. It was a great truck. Sold it to a guy in West Wichita in '86, after we moved to KC and didn't have the room to keep it.

Glad to see you're making good progress! Hopefully I'll see you at The Chill!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Probably not, unless you have people along 53rd st. N. between Meridian and Arkansas.

My dad had that truck's twin for years. White 67 3/4 ton CST Camper special. 327, T400, AC, split rims. Usually had cab-high racks in it for hauling firewood. We also had the big slide-in camper. Towed a 66 16' Mark Twain with it. It was a great truck. Sold it to a guy in West Wichita in '86, after we moved to KC and didn't have the room to keep it.

Glad to see you're making good progress! Hopefully I'll see you at The Chill!
Wow... I would love to locate your old Truck... I would like to have the twin to mine... It really does sound like your past with these trucks were identical to mine...
Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Another board member showed a steering wheel that he liked.. I thought it was pretty cool also so I started searching and came up with this wheel that has that old school vibe to it... I like it alot...
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
Rodzzilla

Cool. Is it a full wrap or half wrap?
Rodzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

These are plastic like the original style wheels... they do have a option for the soft wheel but I haven't studied up on that because I am just going with the original plastic wheel... one of the things I like about this wheel is it is 100% made in the USA...
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #22
gdavis

Good luck there man. It sounds like you have a good supply of parts. Now to start the good work.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #23
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Good luck there man. It sounds like you have a good supply of parts. Now to start the good work.
Yep... Floor, cab corners, and Rocker Panels are being installed this week...

I still need the front and rear suspension, Brakes, Trailing arms... then will start doing the finish work on the chassis to make it smooth as a baby's butt and then shoot it bright silver and polish it...
Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #24
nuke1

Sry to hear about your dads truck, that would kill me, they sure didnt leave alot of it there, anyways I am glad to see that you are still using some portion of the truck and gonna make it your own, I am sure your dad would be proud of you!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

My Dad was a Hot Rodder at heart and I am sure that if he would have had the extra money back in the day he would have built a truck similar to what I am doing... Of course back then I doubt that he would have lowered it that just isn't what they did back then but it would have been cool...