The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
whateverpratt

Suspension update for the '63

The front suspension on my '63 c10 (the yellow rust bucket) is in poor repair. Age and neglect (mostly neglect, sorry old friend) have taken their toll. Both upper control arms had worn through their bushings enough to allow the bushings to escape. The tie rod ends had more play in them than I've ever seen; however, the ball joints were actually in good shape.

This blessed site had given me some ideas about swapping suspension components, and somehow I came to the conclusion that a complete front suspension swap would be a good idea. An acquaintance I made through selling old engines on CL helped me locate a free 1985 C30. I picked it up and parted it out to pay or the trip. All that's left of it is the front suspension. Unfortunately, there was lots of welding done to the frame near the crossmember, so it was actually rather difficult to pull it off of the old 1 ton frame.

You might be wondering why I went for one ton suspension. I really appreciate a stiff stiff front suspension, and I wanted options for stiffer spring rates. I prefer utility and strength over comfort when it comes to my truck.

My good old 3.73 posi 12 bolt had served be well and surpassed my expectations considering what I had put it through (hauling 3,000+ pounds in the bed of the truck, sorry about that); however, I have quite an affinity for the old corporate axles (some say Eaton). I have a few H072's laying around, and I plan to swap out the 12 bolt for an H072 sporting a 4.10 third member.

The only real project complication is that I moved from Texas to Florida for work, and the truck is at my brother's place in Texas. That being said, we spent nearly a week in Texas at the end of March, and I was able to do some wrenching.
whateverpratt is offline   Reply With Quote