The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #251
Flatpat

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard View Post
Dang!! Thanks Anthony!! Killed two birds with one stone there! I have no clue why I was thinking it was only one belt for everything. I guess I was thinking it was like the old serpentine setups.

It has been apart too long. Thanks again, thats good news.

If it wasn't my wife's "Bday weekend" I probably would be firing it for the first time sitting in the 87 frame.. Unfortunately it will have to wait...

Also guys, just a big accomplishment for me non truck related but after 10+ years I quit smoking. I used an e-cig for two weeks to get away from cigarettes and this has been my first week off the e-cig and 0 nicotine intake. It hasn't been easy.
Keep it up, I haven't smoked in 23 months and don't miss it. It was pretty difficult but the Army Doc told me not using nicotine has a 100% success rate for not using nicotine, haha. I've followed that just refused to use nicotine in any form, I found that a sugar free gum helps.

I can't remember are you planning on running AC? If so are you notching the frame our changing brackets around?
Flatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #252
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatpat View Post
Keep it up, I haven't smoked in 23 months and don't miss it. It was pretty difficult but the Army Doc told me not using nicotine has a 100% success rate for not using nicotine, haha. I've followed that just refused to use nicotine in any form, I found that a sugar free gum helps.

I can't remember are you planning on running AC? If so are you notching the frame our changing brackets around?
Awesome for being 23 months without!! I guess I cheated to start to quit. I bought the e-cig stuff. However, on monday after using the e-cig and only the e-cig for two weeks, I just wasn't craving it like I would a normal cig. So I was like lets see how long I can go without. That turned into me quitting nicotine all together! Woop Woop!

I plan to run AC eventually. I really didn't want to notch the frame so my plan is to get the 4.3 compressor bracket and modify it to fit the LS engine. I have seen a couple people do it. Seems like it is pretty easy to do and easy to get ac hoses to work with it?

Unfotunately, I couldn't fit the 01 under dash ac box/unit under the 87 dash without some heavy modifying. So I have to find someway to get the 87 ac/heat controller to integrate into the 01 wiring.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #253
Flatpat

Ah okay, if you haven't seen it yet here is a write up on going that route.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510656
Old 10-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #254
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatpat View Post
Ah okay, if you haven't seen it yet here is a write up on going that route.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510656
Nice Thanks. A/C will probably be one of the last things I tackle. Since mostly I never use A/C but if my wife or kid ever rides they will probably need it so I have to do it eventually.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #255
NastyBuzzard

Should be wired enough to start it.. Just lacking plumbing fuel, one nasty broken exhaust bolt left, and d.s. TBSS manifold needs to be bolted up. Here is a short little vid.

Cut the mounting tabs off of the 01 steering column and took the mounting bracket off the 87 steering column and I am temporarily using the 87 mounting bracket to hold the 01 steering column up. Only issue is the 01 shifting cable/linkage bracketry is having interference with the 87 brake pedal. Gotta have more time to investigate. Here is a pic of bracket I am talking about.

Some pic updates:

Also saw this on facebook.. I may give it a shot with a spare hood, looks like a nnbs (gmt800) 2500 hd style hood.

Hopefully next weekend I will find some time to run fuel and whatnot to fire it up.. Who knows.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #256
NastyBuzzard

Put new u joints in the drive shaft and cleaned and painted it.

For those of you wondering how I am running the fuel setup. Here is the beginning of it. This is pretty much how the supply line is going to run. Its a combo of 87 tbi lines and the 01 line w/ AN hose to the pump.

Close up to the pump w/ supply an line.

Here is connections at the fuel filter. The 87 tbi filter and the 01 filter are basically exactly the same. Even the threads are the same.

Here is how I connect the donor supply line from 01 to the tbi line.

More to come when I get some time to get outside.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #257
Hankster

Can't wait to see it all together.

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #258
NastyBuzzard

You and me both! Doing some remodeling in the house now. Had to remove carpet where I'm putting a wood stove. Ended up just taking up all the carpet. Now I gotta do hardwood floors and build a hearth. Fun fun.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #259
treborjm

Fellow Square Body Subscribed...

I've got a '84 short bed... Thinking of putting my body onto newer frame because of A LOT of the typical frame cracks. Was thinking GMT400, but am willing to look at anything that would work. Although you ended up going a different route... I'd be interested in any research or dimensions that you came across.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Treb
treborjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #260
NorCalAnthony

Your fuel lines turned out really nice. Quick question though, is that the stock TBI rubber hose going from the hard line to the fuel filter or new hose that just got a little dirty? If it is the old rubber line I would definitely swap that out for the higher PSI rated fuel injection hose before you get everything put back together. I'd hate for that little piece to give out on you while you're out on the road...

It's funny what you said about on the floors at your house, I spent my weekend gutting old carpet and prepping some of the floors for hardwood at my house too. It wouldn't have been all that bad if the carpets weren't trashed by someone else's un-house broken dogs
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #261
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborjm View Post
Fellow Square Body Subscribed...

I've got a '84 short bed... Thinking of putting my body onto newer frame because of A LOT of the typical frame cracks. Was thinking GMT400, but am willing to look at anything that would work. Although you ended up going a different route... I'd be interested in any research or dimensions that you came across.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Treb
Treb,

I found someone, on facebook actually, who has taken an 85 shortbed 4x4 body and swapped it on a 99-06 4x4 frame. It turned out amazing. It will work. It takes some modification though. The person I know who did it, created new body mounts and welded them to the GMT800 frame, he also had to incorporate like a 3" body lift b/c of frame height differences.

When I asked him how complicated it was he said any one with some time, extra $ and fab skills could do it. He retained all the LS engine/trans setup and even the GMT800 fuel tank and all lined up where he needed it to. He recently swapped in a 6.0 and 4L80E and the truck is bad ass!

NorCal,

Yup, that is the stock tbi hose, about 4" worth still in the hardline. From what I have researched and all that hose will be fine b/c of how it is on there. I know people who have done the swap, LS and 96-99 Vortec and left it there with no issues. However, I may get froggy and swap in some higher PSI line.

Yeah it is funny how just a simple project turns into something wild. I was just going to cut out a square in the carpet and build a hearth but the wife and I agreed the carpet was crap anyways.

Pulled it all up and the linoleum underneath is from the late 70's and isn't perfect by any means. Now gotta find time for both of us to go pick what floors to put in and I am sure that will be a couple day project.

I miss working on my truck.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #262
NastyBuzzard

Made up the return line...

Then I worked all night and then tried to start it... Here is a little video. What ya think?

Apparently I am still missing something. I did realize at about midnight that I didn't have any of the 02 sensors plugged in so that coulda been it.. I will investigate when I get more time in the daylight.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #263
NastyBuzzard

Progress made. Fired her up for the first time in a few months. Just in a different truck.

Only had two leaks. One was I didnt have return line plugged all the way on the pump assy. Other is I forgot I never hooked up power steering pump.

How does everyone do their exhaust?? I would like to just run down pipe/y pipe back into what I originally had. Flow master 1 in 2 out.

You can kind of see my setup here.

I still have the setup from the 01 donor as well.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #264
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

I just had the exhaust shop mate the new and old.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #265
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
I just had the exhaust shop mate the new and old.
What manifolds were you using though? With the TBSS manifolds I cant even attach the down pipes/cats to the manifolds b/c they are too short and hitting the frame/leafspring mount. The passenger side I can almost get bolted all the way on but it lacks about 1/4".

Trying to think of a way to exten the down pipe and then y it back in to my old setup.

I wish I had an exhaust shop close by but unfortunately living out in the country I dont. Closest one is like 25+ miles away. I don't really like running open manifolds, it makes it more difficult to hear a problem or a misfire.

I am glad that she fires right up though!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #266
NastyBuzzard

Also I lost the screw from my old sbc that goes in the back of power steering pump so now no way to hook up power steering hose.. Anywhere I can find one?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #267
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

I used the stock 5.3 manifolds. 5.3 cats cut off thedown pipes. On tthe driver side I had to do a pie cut on the down pipe to clear the frame. After that they aimed almost just like the factory 350 pipes did so the exhaust shop was able to easily put in pieces to connect the new withtthe old.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #268
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
I used the stock 5.3 manifolds. 5.3 cats cut off thedown pipes. On tthe driver side I had to do a pie cut on the down pipe to clear the frame. After that they aimed almost just like the factory 350 pipes did so the exhaust shop was able to easily put in pieces to connect the new withtthe old.
Sounds easy enough. Unfortunately I used Trailblazer SS style manifolds. I will try and get some scrap pipe to extend it and make something work until I can get time to go to my buddies shop and weld up a good exhaust setup.

I thought about trying true duals on the truck w/ an h pipe but I doubt it will be worth it.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #269
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

You should have an easier time with the ss manifolds I would think. I would imagine the cats are causing you the most grief? You could cut them off and if you have to have them, weld them in further down stream?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #270
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
You should have an easier time with the ss manifolds I would think. I would imagine the cats are causing you the most grief? You could cut them off and if you have to have them, weld them in further down stream?
I don't have to have them... I can't think of any benefit to having them either. Other than it will just be something else on the list of stuff I need to delete from pcm, such as EGR, rear o2s, torque management and so on.

But they aren't necessarily stopping me its the length of the pipe before it bends to go the rear or go into a Y, its too short so before I can get exhaust bolted together it is hitting the frame/spring mount. So I need to extend the down pipe. Just no welder! Argh...
Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #271
NastyBuzzard

Any ideas on hooking up the 01 column linkage to the 87 gear box besides just cutting them and splicing together?

The 87 end that goes to gear box is splined but the 01 isnt. It is close to fitting but don't want to damage it too much.

Also need to figure out how to attach the 01 throttle cable to 87 pedals... Got a few things still to sort out that I can't remember how others have done exactly.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #272
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Probably have to cut and weld the steering shaft. On the throttle cable, that's easy money. It just hooks up like factory. Just route the 01 cable through the firewall and hook it up to the peddle. I did have to bend my peddle a little to get full wot tho.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #273
Flatpat

Quote:
Probably have to cut and weld the steering shaft. On the throttle cable, that's easy money. It just hooks up like factory. Just route the 01 cable through the firewall and hook it up to the peddle. I did have to bend my peddle a little to get full wot tho.
Same here on the throttle cable, needed to be bent just a little.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #274
NastyBuzzard

You guys were right about throttle cable. That was easy. Haven't tested for WOT yet though.

Still haven't decided what to do about steering linkage.

However, I did hook up trans cable, temporarily b/c it is broke and I need a new one. I can move the truck around now, just can't steer yet.

Since it can move under its own power I backed it out of the car port for the first time in a good while.

Then got to drive it right back under. Was a little difficult b/c no steering. It's nice to have it all the way under the car port again...

Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #275
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

It would seem that if you cannibalized bother shafts you could slide one into the other some how.