The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
mick53

My 4" drop axle

Pete and Jakes sent me some pictures of my 4" drop axle they had Super Bell make for me. My spindles are being altered and I'll send them to them. Then they can finish it.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: My 4" drop axle

4" drop is a lot. hope you don't drag the axle on the pavement. What size wheels will you use?
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
4" drop is a lot. hope you don't drag the axle on the pavement. What size wheels will you use?
have to run at least 17" wheels for my brakes. I plan on a taller tire. I like to fill up the wheel wells.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

I hate to bring up a troubling question but I always thought that chroming a dropped axle induces hydrogen embrittlement? If so, obviously a potentially fatal flaw if it ever fractured.

If I were the OP I'd ask the question of Pete & Jake's, "How was this addressed/prevented?"

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
mr48chev

Cute but no thanks. I don't want any welded axle on anything I drive. Plus is it a 4 inch drop over a stock axle or just 4 inches from straight?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:36 AM   #6
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I hate to bring up a troubling question but I always thought that chroming a dropped axle induces hydrogen embrittlement? If so, obviously a potentially fatal flaw if it ever fractured.

If I were the OP I'd ask the question of Pete & Jake's, "How was this addressed/prevented?"
Oh boy, the internet metallurgists chime in again. How many P&J and Superbell chrome axles are in use for how many decades and how many failures have there been that can actually be definitively traced to chroming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Cute but no thanks. I don't want any welded axle on anything I drive. Plus is it a 4 inch drop over a stock axle or just 4 inches from straight?
Again - how many are in use from the most reputable axle manufacturer in the world over how many miles and how many have failed?

You guys believe in chemtrails too? Maybe the grassy knoll Kennedy assassination theory? Get serious.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

I'm no expert on this so I hire experts. This is not a Speedway off the shelf axle. It cost over a thousand dollars. I have been assured by Jerry at Pete and Jakes and Super Bell that it is "Wheelie proof". I am having custom spindles made for it. I feel better about this axle than a stock one that has been stretched. This was engineered for this purpose. I feel at some point you have to have faith that they know what they are doing. Thank you for your time.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Pete and Jakes sent me some pictures of my 4" drop axle they had Super Bell make for me. My spindles are being altered and I'll send them to them. Then they can finish it.
It just doesn't look like it's dropped 4" over stock. I think it may be 4" over the stock Ford axle for which it was used. That is a transverse spring dropped axle like from a 34 Ford, with spring perches welded on it to work on the truck. But those just don't look like they are 4" over the stock truck. Here is a 3" dropped similar axle made with forged ends on a piece of tubing.

I know Pete and Jakes has been around 40+ years, they have made more axles than probably anyone, so I have to believe they know what they are doing and it will be a fine axle. But I just have to question about the drop amount, it doesn't look right to me. On the last photo you posted it looks like from the top of the spring mount if a straight edge were ran over to the king pin mount it looks like it would only be a few inches between the straight edge and the bottom of the axle where the king pin goes. On the photo I posted which is only a three inch drop (over stock) that distance looks further, three inches or so at least.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
mr48chev

Brian is correct, that is just their Ford dropped tube axle that they welded perches for leaf springs on and sent to the chrome shop. The only thing they did "custom" was to weld on those pieces of steel to set the parallel springs on but they left the Ford spring perch eyes rather than scratch build you a custom axle minus the ford pieces. That will cost some show points. At the cost of their shop time you probably didn't pay that much to have the pads welded on as the same chrome axle without the pads is 955.35 list in their catalog.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-26-2019 at 11:15 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It just doesn't look like it's dropped 4" over stock. I think it may be 4" over the stock Ford axle for which it was used. That is a transverse spring dropped axle like from a 34 Ford, with spring perches welded on it to work on the truck. But those just don't look like they are 4" over the stock truck. Here is a 3" dropped similar axle made with forged ends on a piece of tubing.

I know Pete and Jakes has been around 40+ years, they have made more axles than probably anyone, so I have to believe they know what they are doing and it will be a fine axle. But I just have to question about the drop amount, it doesn't look right to me. On the last photo you posted it looks like from the top of the spring mount if a straight edge were ran over to the king pin mount it looks like it would only be a few inches between the straight edge and the bottom of the axle where the king pin goes. On the photo I posted which is only a three inch drop (over stock) that distance looks further, three inches or so at least.

Brian
I think that's what it is with a custom width. They are ford spindles I'm having altered to take my 12.88" Wilwood brakes. It wouldn't break my heart if it was less drop. I figure what ever it is I'll do the back to match. Supposedly it is a higher tensile steel. I think the ford axle and steering components are prettier. and something different.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
xabichin67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
I'm considering doing a dropped axle on my 53 vs IFS. Who makes the axle you posted, it looks like a nice piece.

Thanks
xabichin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #12
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabichin67 View Post
I'm considering doing a dropped axle on my 53 vs IFS. Who makes the axle you posted, it looks like a nice piece.

Thanks
Speedway sells it. But honestly, have the stock one dropped by Sids, I am very happy with their service and had all the steering modified by them too. I even had them install the spindles so I am ready to fly.

https://droppedaxles.com/

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabichin67 View Post

Thanks
You will want to talk to Jerry at "Pete and Jakes". I sent them an original axle off a 53 1/2 ton I had laying around so they could get all the angles like a stock axle. They are great to work with. They sent me Ford spindles to have altered. I have Wilwood 12.88" six piston Nickle plated caliper drilled and slotted 5" 4 3/4" disk brakes. They don't make these for Ford spindle. I bought Heidts 2" drop spindles for a 57 Bel Air that have the proper spindle pin profile and the pin is pressed in. My head engineer who also owns an industrial fab company is going to do his voodoo and put the Heidts pin in the Ford spindle. I will then send them back to P&G and they can finish the front end. I will then have to fab a caliper bracket. Thanks to Jerry at P&J and Josh at Wilwood it has went smoothly. It's the journey. Thank you for your time.