The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: e3 LevelPro + Big Red x4 ≈ 77 Air Square

In preparation for mounting the system display, I determined I would need a mount to fit the location I had chosen. The previous systems display was mounted in the ashtray, and after considering my options I went the same way again.

To do this I wanted a mounting bracket made to give the install a finished look. I contacted my friend Roger Lynskey at RPL Customs (972-567-3958) to make a housing for me.

I sent a spare ashtray assembly to him and he went to work. Roger and mutual friend Keith (n2billet) collaborated to come up with a mounting system that would require minimal modifications to the ashtray assembly. With the exception of a minor notch to clear the display connector this is a bolt in unit.

After considering several options it was decided to mill a housing from billet stock. Once the measurements were done and all the angles were calculated, the mill was put to work. Roger gave the piece a nice brushed finish and shipped it to me.

The brushed finish looked great, but it didn't match the interior. To allow the piece to tie in with the existing gauges, I first polished the surface. An outline was masked off, and the rest was painted satin black. This look will emulate the chrome bezels on the factory gauges.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Once the bezel was painted and mounted I realized how badly the ashtray door looked. It had been taken in and out a few times for trial fitment and I failed to protect the painted surface. I sanded and primered the door, then mocked it all up one last time before adding a fresh coat of paint.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #28
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

My attempt to paint the door turned in to a disaster, so I decided to take this to a buddy that is a professional. My friend Mark Traina stripped the door clean and sprayed the gloss black finish. Now it matches the dash again.

The ashtray assembly has to go through several twists and turns to be mounted in place. Once it had cured for several days I taped the front side to protect it from the install process. I gently worked it back in place, and secured it with the factory mounting screws.

Of course I couldn't resist adding power to it to ensure it worked properly before calling it done. Unfortunately the light from the display makes it very hard to take a clear picture.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

With the display mounted in its new home, I needed to finish the ECU install. The board I had used for mock up worked well as my template for the finished piece. A fresh piece of MDF was cut to fit in the recess under the seat.

I wanted to leave the excess wire as I am considering converting to bucket seats with a console. To prevent having to splice each harness, I coiled all of the wires and secured them with cable ties and clips. Its tedious work, but should save several hours in the future.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #30
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I wanted to have a top to protect the wiring and ECU, but leave the sides open. I cut some small riser pieces and gave it all a couple of coats of black paint.

Heat should not be an issue, but I decided to cut an opening in the lid of the box as well to expose the ECE. I felt this would eliminate my concerns of the seat bottom trapping hot air. I plan to add perforated metal to the sides and top at a later time.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #31
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

To discuss this article go here- LINK