The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #76
PHAT TONY

Re: Rocker box pictures

My envy may be showing; 'round here there's no such thing as "parts" or "parts trucks" for an old blazer.
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #77
glimmertwin01

too F'in funny 69-72 appears to have one of our "survivors" up here in the salty Northeast Great lakes area.... LOL
tomato tomatoe.... its all good I need to reinstall the torsion boxes on the AZ blazer since the state (original owner) removed them to install saddle tanks....
Up here very few blazers had these boxes as they collected all the salt and rotted out in about 3 yrs but then the trucks only lasted about 5 yrs up here the 73/ 75 K5s were even worse ROT boxes... hmmm maybe thats where the term ROT box originated.... lmfao...
all BS aside as a structural engineer I would tent to believe they are TORSION boxes since that is what the flexing stress is on the TUB.... a BOX is much stronger than some flap of tin.... think of an old GM A body ragtop... the convertible frames were fully boxed to keep the tub rigid or it would fold up like a Rustang....or any other crusy unibody crap...
OK i always referred to the small covers over the hub n lug nuts as hub caps and the wheel covers like the infamous wire wheel covers wheel covers
Up here we call it soda or pop...me I prefer Coke....LOL
74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Life is what you make it Live each day like it was your last
Old GM Trucks never go out of style
glimmertwin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #78
glimmertwin01

anyone wanna have a toke off the crack pipe ???LOL
74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Old 04-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #79
JimmyFloyd

haha. wow.

Yeah, I have been looking for a blazer for the last 6-7 years, ever since I saw one online freshman year when looking for a newer blazer. But looking in both Rochester and Binghamton yielded me nothing, save for a couple rusted buckets of bolts.

This one I have, while not ideal, is in better condition than most I have found, so I was very excited about that.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #80
glimmertwin01

have you found one? i have a pretty solid one here that I got cheap... was considering cutting it up or converting it for plow duty
74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #81
glimmertwin01

here is the 70 a survivor
Attached Images

74 K/5
74 K20 Custom Deluxe
86 K10 Shorty
92 K2500 Burb
95 K2500 GMC

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #82
Beetle

Ok just read through this whole thing and I think my head is gonna explode... Confused as all get out, where does the torsion box go in relationship to the inner and outer rocker? the inner is under the truck or inside the outer, newbie trying to understand all this. Thanks for the help.
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #83
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Ok just read through this whole thing and I think my head is gonna explode... Confused as all get out, where does the torsion box go in relationship to the inner and outer rocker? the inner is under the truck or inside the outer, newbie trying to understand all this. Thanks for the help.
Try duct tape wrapped around the forehead...torsion box is the heavier metal (thicker gauge) element that will keep the body from flexing or sagging when the hardtop is removed. Rocker box or rocker panel is nothing more then a cosmetic piece of sheetmetal to make the front and rear fenders flow into the door area...not much strength there, but some!

Rocker panel is under the door, torsion box is under your feet as you sit in the drivers seat
You may have opened up a can of worms again

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 06-23-2009 at 12:34 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #84
Kas68c10

wow, glad i saw those pics! feel much better about my rust now! gonna steer clear of the terminology issue and call it rust, a term we can ALL agree on.....
1968 SWB Stepside, 250,pwr disc brake and tilt pwr steering, 5 spd tranny, HEI,Accel coil,K&N filter,Seat from a later truck with built in seatbelts, front and rear sway bars, moved gas tank to under the bed, headman hedders, new chrome bumpers,one wire alternator,Weber k550cub carburator...WORK IN PROGRESS, Freeland MI , Just bought a 72 Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
Kas68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #85
gpat@earthlink.net

Dose anyone know where to get the rear cab floor section for a 72 Blazer. I need the section that has the hole for the seat bolts to go threw. I have been told p/u floor don't work. Help
gpat@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #86
JDSurge

Hey VT, I am getting ready to start repairing my 1972 Blazer, it has both inner and outer rocker panels rusted and about 8" of floor board rusted out on each side. I've looked thru YouTube for instructions but could only find Trucks, no Blazers. I would love to see your pictures from start to finish before I start mine. I'm not even sure what patch panels to purchase.
Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #87
JimmyFloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSurge View Post
Hey VT, I am getting ready to start repairing my 1972 Blazer, it has both inner and outer rocker panels rusted and about 8" of floor board rusted out on each side. I've looked thru YouTube for instructions but could only find Trucks, no Blazers. I would love to see your pictures from start to finish before I start mine. I'm not even sure what patch panels to purchase.
Any help would be appreciated.
That portion of the blazer should be the same as the trucks, with the exception of the torsion boxes that cover the bottom side and add support when the top is off.

I would brace that area is you decide to remove the torsion box to access the underside. If you are not going to, take this time to clean the rust inside the box and coat it with something like POR15 or some other rust proof coating. You could remove the back access panek of the torsion box too for access, but it will be tight working space and your bolts may be rusty/tough to remove.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #88
JDSurge

Thanks Jimmy. I wish someone on here has some pics to share so I could see what I'm getting into. Lots of Trucks on Youtube but no Blazers. I think I know what patch panels to order now.
JD
Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #89
JimmyFloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSurge View Post
Thanks Jimmy. I wish someone on here has some pics to share so I could see what I'm getting into. Lots of Trucks on Youtube but no Blazers. I think I know what patch panels to order now.
JD
The blazers will be very similar to the trucks in the areas you have cut out.

They use the same inner and outer rockers, and the same floor sections. The rear of the front floor might be a little different since it meets the bed set up, but not 100% on that. It's close if they do differ and the truck panel can be used for the majority of it.

The firewall forward will be the same also.

The bed sides are the same as shortbed side except for the gas filler opening and the front edge where it connects to the door pillar.

Obviously the top of the windshield is different, but the sides and bottom should be the same.

There may be minor differences in the dash with the speaker opening.

The underside will have the addition of the Torsion Boxes, and some slightly different cross braces under the floor (not 100% there are though)

The bed floor should be the same.

The tailgate and rear will have extra sealing strips added, but otherwise the same as the trucks.

Hope that helps. LCM catalog is good just to see if they offer different part number for truck vs blazer.