The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
NorthernMatthew

1972 Blazer top/window seal issues

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I can gain some insight from the experts on this fine forum. Last fall I had the hard top refurbished including NOS window to top weatherstrip seals and non NOS rubber to seal the top to the truck. The window weatherstrip was glued in and that glue gave way after a few months (pulled from the corner). They have since been re-glued and are holding but there is a slight gap from the seal to window at the corner on both driver and passenger doors. Also I'm getting some air coming in when driving from the driver's left top corner where the top meets the window header. Recently I learned that there are little T clips that are used to affix the seals to the top. I am guessing that these T clips position (center) the seal correctly and without them it's possible for the seal to migrate from it's correct position. Does anyone have knowledge regarding using these clips on a double wall top, how many are needed and do you think these missing clips are the root of these two issues?
NorthernMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Jesse B.

Re: 1972 Blazer top/window seal issues

I'll share my personal experience/advice and I suspect most folks here will each have their own. I too have a double wall top and I bought new non-NOS door window to top seals because actual new NOS stuff is not available to me. I tried using the t-clips, I tried using weatherstrip glue, and I tried using super glue. None of it worked long-term and the seal quality sucked. I could barely get the driver's door to close and there were still gaps, and it was tough to roll the window down and roll the window up. I only tried one brand of seal, so maybe other brands fit better but I ended up ripping them off and repainting the window sill. I then went to the hardware store and bought a couple different shapes of regular stick-on door/window seals and tried those. All of them fit better than the repop seals. I settled with using a white D-shaped seal (because my top is white) and it seals fine, the doors close, the windows roll up and down, and the seal color matches the top, so you barely see it. It is not a perfect seal (if you directly spray a stream of water from a hose at it, it will leak), but it is close enough.
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
jaros44sr

In my opinion, this is the weak point on blazer/jimmies, if there is one. the best glue is 3m weatherstrip glue used correctly! "T" clips are for single wall tops and 1/2 tops, I believe. Just don't drive in the rain, and you won't get wet, lol

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
notsolo

Hey Jesse, could you post a couple photos of your white weather strip mod....Same problem here, double wall top seal is fair, looks aweful....leaks a bit...
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
NorthernMatthew

Hello everyone, any input is appreciated.
NorthernMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
notsolo

Hey, Matthew. Can't be sure my double wall top had the correct T clips....more like sharp on both end clips that rips the weather strip. Good bit of strain on the clips, weather strip adhesive will help but mine still got ripped because the rubber is thin.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
Jesse B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Hey Jesse, could you post a couple photos of your white weather strip mod....Same problem here, double wall top seal is fair, looks aweful....leaks a bit...
Sure, here are some pics. One is with the window down, one is with the window up, one is a profile of the seal. It isn't a "D" like I wrote above, it is more of a triangle. I got it at the local Ace hardware. As I wrote above, it works well and looks nice, and I think think nicer than a factory black one against a white top. I do not notice any air or water leakage when I am driving the truck, although I did add about an extra inch or so at the very top corner where the top meets the door/window to get a good seal at that spot. It would not cost you much to just try it and see if it works for you as well.

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_1699.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_1700.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_1701.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  46.7 KB
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
notsolo

Thanks for posting that, looks Great, a lot better white and better than what my gum..D up mess looks like.