The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
It seems that if you have a low spot that is about 1/8 deep by 12 in diameter that just filling it would be fine. If it was a quarter or 3/8 deep it seems that would be more of a concern. My concern is if you pop it back up and get everything smooth, is there a chance that you could bump it and it would pop back down. So I would finish it in whatever its most stable position is. There're definitely guys on here that know more than me about this though.

However, I will register an opinion on the drip rails. I had my first Square in the 90s and drove it for a couple years after pulling the drip rails and never noticed the difference. I'm sure that there is a difference since I agree GM thought it was important to put them on. But I do live in Seattle, and it was a daily driver, and rumor has it that it rains here. I think I got used to opening the door letting some drips fall on my arm and then hopping out. FWIW, I'm pulling the drip rails on one of the Squares I have now too.

Nice to see your progress. Thanks for posting.
So I tried pulling as much of the "dent" out as I could but it was difficult to use the puller since the roof is so flimsy. It was more just pulling up tiny little spots instead of sections. So I decided to leave it be. The deepest part of the dent is just less than 1/16" and that is only a 2"x2" section. The rest of it is only around .03"-.05" deep(using a feeler gauge). I have basically the entire roof evened out at this point. I need to go over 1 or two spots again with filler to get it ready for some polyester surfacer and then high build primer. I believe with those two last steps the roof will be perfect.

Once the roof is done with normal filler, I can move onto a few more sections. (specifically the back of the cab and the cab seam I welded up. I already went over that welded seam with some fiberglass filler).

Thanks for any input guys.
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote