The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
dtkarst

Having a starting problem

Been tinkering on my 63 c10 the past few days while waiting on stuff for the 61 4x4. I'm having issues with it not wanting to start with the key. It will run and drive but in order for it to run I have to turn the key over to acc then take a screwdriver or pry bar and touch the two points on the starter then I fired right up. Also while it is running, I can turn the key like I would to start it and it'll grind the starter. It's got a new ignition, now I'm just at a loss for the reasoning as to why I can't start it with the key. Help a guy out
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
andyh1956

Re: Having a starting problem

Remove the wire & check the voltage coming to the "S" term at the starter solenoid. If none then check to see if the two wires are reversed on the R & S terms at the solenoid.

Last edited by andyh1956; 09-18-2016 at 11:31 PM.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:09 AM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Make sure the Yellow wire is on the Left terminal and the Purple on the Right.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
dtkarst

Here's how it is wired
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

They must have changed it....on my 64's and 66 Yellow is the ignition power wire that goes from the solenoid to the key switch to the coil. Purple is the cranking wire. Looks Green in this case is your ignition power wire.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
dtkarst

So do I need to check the green wire for voltage? The only way it'll start is with the key turned so it acts like it's sending power to the starter but won't turn it over. But like I said before, it'll engage the starter and grind when it's running
Old 09-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

I think what TJ Chevy is saying is - When you "take a screwdriver or pry bar and touch the two points on the starter then I fired right up" you are bypassing the ignition switch start position. Cause the ignition switch is in the run position. Oh I just read ACC Position.
So you need to check if your getting power to the starter (in your case the green wire) when you turn the key to the start position. You'll need help.
Cause if your getting power to the ignition switch and not getting power to the starter . . .
Sounds like a ignition switch issue. Maybe the way it's wired?

"Also while it is running, I can turn the key like I would to start it and it'll grind the starter. " Heck my 2009 2500 LTZ Silverado does that.
When it's running and you turn the key to the start position you should get grinding. Don't do that.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
bpmcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I think what TJ Chevy is saying is - When you "take a screwdriver or pry bar and touch the two points on the starter then I fired right up" you are bypassing the ignition switch start position. Cause the ignition switch is in the run position. Oh I just read ACC Position.
So you need to check if your getting power to the starter (in your case the green wire) when you turn the key to the start position. You'll need help.
Cause if your getting power to the ignition switch and not getting power to the starter . . .
Sounds like a ignition switch issue. Maybe the way it's wired?

"Also while it is running, I can turn the key like I would to start it and it'll grind the starter. " Heck my 2009 2500 LTZ Silverado does that.
When it's running and you turn the key to the start position you should get grinding. Don't do that.
Rock,

The interesting thing about his grinding is -- if his ignition switch is miswired, which is what we're presuming, he should NOT get grinding.

I'm guessing maybe a bad ground at the ignition switch, causing the current to be insufficient when the alternator's not running and boosting the voltage.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post
Rock,

The interesting thing about his grinding is -- if his ignition switch is miswired, which is what we're presuming, he should NOT get grinding.

I'm guessing maybe a bad ground at the ignition switch, causing the current to be insufficient when the alternator's not running and boosting the voltage.

B
Good point. That's why we like this forum.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
jayoldschool

That adobe finish on the engine is interesting.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
That adobe finish on the engine is interesting.
I wanna say It's all the rage in Arizona. But I don't want to offend anyone there