The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
Hatzman

Question American Auto Wire questions

Morning folks,

I am getting ready to purchase AAW part # 510089. Before doing so, I wanted to speak directly with them and find out what quality their ignition switch, light switch, etc.. are. American made? Cheap Chinese crap or what?

Well, I have been trying to call them for two weeks and no answering machine and no answer. I'm hoping it's because of this COVID-19 lock-down and not that they are going under or anything like that.

Can anyone answer my question? I noticed many good reviews about the wiring harness itself but I am not finding much info on the components. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, 190 bucks for their crimping tool? Has anyone found a tool that works just as well without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848

Last edited by Hatzman; 04-07-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
sprint_9

Re: American Auto Wire questions

I switched most of the switches out to AC Delco, the included ones didnt have a name that I saw, but when comparing didnt look too bad either. I had trouble with the light switch due to my own fault and when I tore both of them apart they both looked to be of equal quality.

I used a combination of tools to crimp, but my two main ones were.

-Metri-Pack and Weather-Pack T-18 Crimper
-Open Barrel T-11 Crimper

You can search google for them but they are roughly $20-$35. The T-11 I used is here. The T-18 I used is out of stock but there are a bunch of them.

You might get away with just the T-11 style but I did find the T-18 to come in handy on the 56 series ends from time to time. The T-18 has two seal crimps that worked good crimping the wire insulation crimp depending on the wire size. I converted some stuff to Weather or Metri-Pack, so both were a must.

You will want to solder everything anyhow for the best connection. These cheaper crimpers get things looking nice, but is by no means a finished long term product without the solder. I used this soldering iron and for the price was super happy with it. It gets nice and hot.

Couple pictures of the results, one just crimped before solder, and another Metri-Pack fully completed.
Attached Images

Last edited by sprint_9; 04-07-2020 at 08:45 PM.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
tim_mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatzman View Post

Also, 190 bucks for their crimping tool? Has anyone found a tool that works just as well without breaking the bank?

Thanks!
Not the correct tool, but I managed with my D-sub pin crimp tool. I made solid crimps and soldered all of the connections. The trick is to have an iron that heats up quickly. I used a Weller 9400PKS:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weller-Elec...Kit/1000395569
Attached Images

Last edited by tim_mc; 04-07-2020 at 06:29 PM.
tim_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
NorCalC20LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatzman View Post
Morning folks,

I am getting ready to purchase AAW part # 510089. Before doing so, I wanted to speak directly with them and find out what quality their ignition switch, light switch, etc.. are. American made? Cheap Chinese crap or what?

Well, I have been trying to call them for two weeks and no answering machine and no answer. I'm hoping it's because of this COVID-19 lock-down and not that they are going under or anything like that.

Can anyone answer my question? I noticed many good reviews about the wiring harness itself but I am not finding much info on the components. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm in the middle of putting in the 510089 Classic Update kit now. They must be closed due to the Coronavirus deal since I spoke to them a couple weeks ago and bought/rented the two crimping tools. Tried calling yesterday with a tech question and same as you got no answer. The crimpers are $85 each plus shipping then when you send them back within 30 days plus a grace period, 1 or 2 weeks I think, you only end up paying $25 for each tool. Obviously, your out the shipping charges though.

On a side note, the crimps look fine to me, and I don't even own a soldering iron, so I hope they hold without solder.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
flashed

I cant help with your question but MCB Matt , a vendor here has the best prices on these wiring kits . I just bought mine from him .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #6
NorCalC20LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I cant help with your question but MCB Matt , a vendor here has the best prices on these wiring kits . I just bought mine from him .
Same here, MCB Matt was very competitive.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:48 AM   #7
REDROCKER652002

My son and I used the AAW Classic update on his 69. I used their switches and they worked out fine. There customer service is excellent as well. I rented the crimp tool and it worked out fine. I had to call them a few times for issues that were more me than them. I needed to keep the crimp tool a bit longer, called them, no problem. All in all, I would recommend them for anybody who is a novice at wiring and needs a fairly simple setup. And for what it is worth, we took every wire out of the truck and started from there. RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #8
mygmctruck1

I have to agree with all the comments , I was missing a small part and they sent it out no questions ask. There customer service , great . There switches are also good stuff.
The one thing I did notice was there dimmer switch connection fits there dimmer switch . I had a brand news eklin from napa and it wouldn’t fit it. So I just used AAW switch .
Like I stated before unless your color blind and can’t read, this harness is the cats meow !
I bought mine from Matt to , great pricing.
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
99_Sierra

I used their classic update kit on my 1970 Nova. I thought everything in the kit was quality parts.

I could not bring myself to spend all that money on their crimping tools. I just used a cheap set of craftsman crimpers and soldered and heat shrinked every connection. I took my time and made the nicest looking and most durable crimp I could on each connection. I believe I did not need to solder, but it was good insurance and the heat shrink really made it look nice and professional.
99_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
landarts
landarts

I have done three AAW classic update kits and bought this set of crimpers when I bought the first wiring kit. Here is the link if interested.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
Hatzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Thank you for the referral! I am ordering it through MCB Matt as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
I have done three AAW classic update kits and bought this set of crimpers when I bought the first wiring kit. Here is the link if interested.
Thank you! Ordered it today!

Thank you to everyone who responded. Made my decision easy. AAW it is!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618848
Hatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #12
my kids toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
Landart,
part # 18922 is what you used and they were not too thick to be able to crimp both crimps without any problems ? I would guess because you keep using it is this correct ?
my kids toy is offline   Reply With Quote