The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
rustymarco

56 step side on 07 trailblazer chassis

hi everybody im new here and here is my actual project,im a truck guy and my last truck before this was a 1946 p/u on 55 belair chassis 3 years ago in my country Uruguay before i come to canada. after that i work here in my first project 81 trans am with 455,and now im happy to work in a truck again.so i found this truck and i decide to build a daily driver that means change everything except the body,after some search for a donor power train i found a 07 trailblazer and then i start 1 month ago with the puzzle
Attached Images

rustymarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
ricott

Re: 56 step side on 07 trailblazer chassis

First, Welcome! Looks like you have a good start to your project. Is the Envoy a V8? If so, you really are off to a good start. Check out my 1955 build on a Trailblazer frame (first link below). I started with an Inline 6 frame, so I have had to piece the V8 parts together. My truck is approximately 8 inches off the ground with full suspension travel. I used the full floorpan from the trailblazer (I plan to use the trailblazer carpet, seats, gas tank, exhaust, and anything else I can think of). You will love these engines, they make a lot of power and get relatively good gas mileage. Please post up your work, It helps us all.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
rustymarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
First, Welcome! Looks like you have a good start to your project. Is the Envoy a V8? If so, you really are off to a good start. Check out my 1955 build on a Trailblazer frame (first link below). I started with an Inline 6 frame, so I have had to piece the V8 parts together. My truck is approximately 8 inches off the ground with full suspension travel. I used the full floorpan from the trailblazer (I plan to use the trailblazer carpet, seats, gas tank, exhaust, and anything else I can think of). You will love these engines, they make a lot of power and get relatively good gas mileage. Please post up your work, It helps us all.

Ricky
hi rick after i start with the idea i search in the web for some information and i see your project and i following it haha,is not a v8 is a 4.2 6 inline but im not looking for a race truck,and the 6 cil enough power 290 hp at 6000 rpm (yes at 6000 rpm!!) and the most important 277 of torque ,the 5.7 v8 have 300hp so is not a big difference. and i like to make this 6 cil like the original 6 inline from 1956 but i go to play with that after i finish with the body
Old 12-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
rustymarco

the challenge in all this was do all this by my self without the proper shop and tools, all the tools that i have is a little red tool box (you can see it in some pics after) and a 1t rusty engine hoist
so i start with all this without know how i go to do,so the first challenge for me was remove the complete trailblazer from the chassis,after some days thinking and thinking nothing come to my head so what i do is just start taking out bolts,after that take out the weight(interior,fenders,doors) and all the connections.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
rustymarco

i take to many measures wheelbase , body mounts and every point starting from the center of the front wheels because that is the reference for everything
because the most important is keep the front wheels centered in the wheel fender space, every can be changed except that
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
rustymarco

at that point i still without know how i go to take out the body but im keep going,after i lift the front of the body with the hoist an a idea come to my head build a support with wood and that is what i do, when i finish with that i just take out the hoist and lift the back,done! i just push the chassis out and clean the driveway of all that crap
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
rustymarco

the trailblazer is perfect for work look complicated but is not, im only use 7 tools for do all this from the first time 7mm,8mm,10mm,13mm and 18mm sockets and keys, flat and phillips screwdriver
Old 12-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Kim57

Welcome.
Looks like a real neat project.
Kim
Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
rustymarco

before i send the tb body for scrap i take out all the necessary and some more just in case,the most important piece is part of the floor with the tranny and transfer shape that make me save a lot of work and time building a new floor in the 56 cab and keep the original mount for the tb seats ,handbrake and shifter. of course i save all the wires,power windows and complete dash.
after i have the tranny shape i put the 56 cab on the tb chassis to see what happens (i put the fenders hood and front to but forgot take pics before take all out) everything ok but my idea is drop the body to around 5 or 6 inch from the floor but the front wheels touch the fenders when turn and that rims are like 0 offset so no room to put others rims by the way no easy to find rims 6x5 and no way to put adapters of course, for now my solution is put small tires than thats but that after i finish with the body
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
rustymarco

i know all this look very flintstone but it work for me ,surprise me how much i have to cut in the front and the fact that i have to use a electric fan and delete the ac i believe ,i have to drop the rear a little bit to level but i need to put the bed for the weight
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
rustymarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Welcome.
Kim
thanks!!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
rustymarco

here some pics of the tb dash on the 56 dash just watching possibilitys but i dont like to much the idea .the only positive is that i can use all the tb component in the dash ,but i find the way to keep the stock 56 dash and all the electronic measurements , i know are the dakota 56 electronic gauges in ebay but i have a very easy way and cheap and for my better look .so the dash and gauges go to be the original 56 for sure.
this is all for now ppl
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Russell Ashley

Nice work. Looks like you have a good start on it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
rustymarco

Quote:
Welcome.
Kim
thanks i take a look your work very clean i like the way you done that, i wish i can have all the equipment for that but this is more like building a car alone in a island with a stone and some coconuts hahaha
Old 12-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
rustymarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Nice work. Looks like you have a good start on it.
thanks!
Old 12-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
Kim57

You're doing a great job with the limited equipment you have.
Kim
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
Marty68

neat.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
dsraven

wow, you got a lot done since I checked in last time. too bad you didn't snap a few pics with the front end on showing the tire problem. I am doing the same thing with a all wheel drive xuv but so far am still working on the cab bodywork to get it so I can put it onto a frame. no floor right now so that is a little difficult, ha ha. keep the pics coming, you are doing great. are you dealing with snow and cold like we are in Calgary right now?
dennis
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice project, looking forward to watching it come along!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #20
rustymarco

So here we back with some news after all the vacation and stuff, i take a little brake off everything including working phone internet wifi etc. and dreaming with come back to my country but im still here keep going... ok so i done with some welding work on the floor cab, cleanup and paint underneath ,welding the cab mounts and giving some cleanup to the chassis and paint
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 AM   #21
rustymarco

i cut around 1" of the rubber in the rear mounts, i take out the rear springs and put the chassis in the level where i like to leave the truck with all the weigh of the bed etc. and put the cab in level with the ground .after i have to play with the springs for keep that high. here is a pic of the wheel space that i talk about before ,no to much room but i think if i change the front tires go to be ok ,but the bad thing is the truck cant be lower than that ,believe me i try everything and no i dont wanna play with the fenders but we see what happens with some low profile tires
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #22
rustymarco

here i cut the front of the chassis the less that i can ,not leave me to much room for radiator and a electric fan but i like challenges,definitely no room for A/C radiator so no a/c in this truck
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #23
Kim57

You're making some good progress.
Looks good.
Kim
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
ricott

Welcome back after the holidays. Your truck is really looking good. I'm having the same problem on the front of my Trailblazer frame swap - only worse since I lowered it more!

Here is my overall look - pretty low - and I have been thinking about raising it up to more like yours.

Your radiator sure looks tight, but if you can make the Inline 6 setup work it will be a great setup. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #25
rustymarco

Quote:
You're making some good progress.
Looks good.
Kim
thanks Kim ,yes is taking some shape hehe