The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #1
un4gvn!

Tow Hooks

Is it true that there are crooks out there reproducing the tow hooks for our trucks? They found out what they are worth to us and now they want to profit from it. I read that the cheap knock offs aren't as strong as the original GM hooks. My question is, how are we to know if we are buying the real thing?
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Tow Hooks

Post a pic if in doubt. They aren’t too hard to spot.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:57 PM   #3
52napco

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
Is it true that there are crooks out there reproducing the tow hooks for our trucks? They found out what they are worth to us and now they want to profit from it. I read that the cheap knock offs aren't as strong as the original GM hooks. My question is, how are we to know if we are buying the real thing?
So are the folks doing fenders,hoods dash pads etc crooks also...it's supply and demand
Problem is when people misrepresent the repops..like selling a fender as NOS.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:50 PM   #4
countr

Good conversation, like to see where this goes.

Thanks Russ
countr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
jocko

I think re-pop hooks are a special case. Just like repop wheels, they are a safety-related item. The difference is that wheels have to meet specific DOT standards to be able to be sold - repop hook sales are the wild wild west. If it was possible to have confidence that knockoff tow hooks had the same strength as the originals, I don't think this would be the controversial topic that it seems to be today (agreed, as long as they were not falsely advertised as originals - and priced like them). But there are indeed some knockoffs available that clearly advertise they are for display purposes only, so at least the ORIGINAL buyer knows they are fake - the problem is that the original mfgr does not also permanently mark them as 'display only' parts - so the next guy that picks them up at a rummage sale in 20 years won't have a clue.

Personally, I wish the knockoffs didn't exist, period. Demand signal should be no excuse for a safety-related item being produced for looks only. Someday, somewhere - someone is going to resell one and a buyer won't know that a hook isn't original or is for display purposes only, even if there is no PN on it - and someone will get injured - eventually. This is not a buyer beware scenario - it is a manufacturer responsibility from a safety perspective to ensure a display-only hook can never be mistaken as a real one - but of course buyers that buy them for looks only usually want them to be indistinguishable... As for someone making them in their garage, I personally could care less what printed proof of strength testing is provided, sorry, but it's kinda meaningless compared to a known, original hook, from a trusted mfgr, like GM (that clearly did sufficient engineering and/or research before offering them). That's just my personal opinion, I know there are different opinions out there - and I get it, there is clearly a market for several different approaches.
Off my soapbox, sorry

For the OP, there's a loooong thread on this subj already with lots of opinions - recommend do a search and you'll find tons of reading.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:15 AM   #6
52napco

I seriously doubt that you could break one of the repos...think of all the cheap generic tow hooks on a million jeeps(aka the little chrome ones with the tab to hold the logging chain on)..we run a towing company here and I promise that we are rougher on cheap CHINESE
"J" hooks and chains etc. than anyone will ever be on these repo extreme bend hooks.
That claim to be forged and if that's the case you can rest assured you won't hear any instances of them failing...
The reality is that anyone spending the $400 to buy them is not going to the mud hole this weekend to pull their redneck buddies out and drink beer.. Rest assured they'll be one a nice truck for that factory look.
Just my 02
Old 08-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #7
un4gvn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
So are the folks doing fenders,hoods dash pads etc crooks also...it's supply and demand
Problem is when people misrepresent the repops..like selling a fender as NOS.
The guys who have a NOS part and some how get the sticker off and put it on a cheap Chinese junk and ask for NOS price, yes he is a crook. I've seen it at swap meets with fenders. I don't think it's fare to ask for the same money the original hooks go for.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #8
jocko

sticker??
Old 08-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #9
un4gvn!

If you ever seen NOS parts, mostly large parts would have a small sticker from the corporation on it or it would come in a corporate box (GM, Ford, Chrysler).
Old 08-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #10
jocko

Quote:
If you ever seen NOS parts, mostly large parts would have a small sticker from the corporation on it or it would come in a corporate box (GM, Ford, Chrysler).
sorry, i thought we were talkin about tow hooks
Old 08-04-2022, 06:57 PM   #11
52napco

Quote:
The guys who have a NOS part and some how get the sticker off and put it on a cheap Chinese junk and ask for NOS price, yes he is a crook. I've seen it at swap meets with fenders. I don't think it's fare to ask for the same money the original hooks go for.
Repo extremes are about $350
Old 08-05-2022, 08:01 AM   #12
palallin

There would be no problem if no one paid the ridiculous amounts being asked for original hooks. As long as there are people willing to throw their money away like that, there will be others who are willing to help them do it in whatever way they can.

If I ever see a set of original hooks for $100 or less, i will buy them. Otherwise, they aren't worth it.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #13
bcfishon

There cast not forged,so should be able to distinguish a difference
bcfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #14
davischevy

Capitalist- Someone that reproduces tow hooks.

Crook- Someone that misrepresents repo's as original.

Buyer-Should do his due diligence. A quick post of a picture of the hooks on here will get the answer.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote