The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2024, 11:09 AM   #1
Ironhorse

New Phone

Recently had to replace my tried and true cell phone with the mandatory upgrades one endures now days. My old phone was a Kyocera Duraforce Pro which I had had for many a year. Myself and technology both have a love/hate relationship kicking and screaming all the way so consequently I don't pursue the latest and greatest new trinket on the market. The speaker just flat quit on my old phone, no sound from it at all. Checked into getting the speaker replaced which was pricey in itself with no more than a 90 warranty. Nope, it's time.

Got a newer version being the Kyocera Duraforce Ultra, 5G with most likely way more bells and whistles than I will ever use. Phone calls, texting, camera/pictures notepad, occasional Google search and I'm good to go. I just hate having to learn all the little differences that each new version of phones have.

Of course, no owner/operator manual or booklet with it. For the price of phones now days would it hurt to include a printed booklet? Can't possibly cut into profits that much.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
Micmac

Re: New Phone

Ironhorse , either google or YouTube are your friends in this situation, that is of course there are no teenagers handy!
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:20 PM   #3
Sicklajoie
The Niner

User's manual
https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/Veriz...g_eng_20201109
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
Getter-Done

I am with you on this, I like a paper copy also.

The last I phone I got did not come with a Charger?
They said it because you probably allready have one.

Here is a link to the manual below which you probably already found.

Along the same type of subject,
Everything and everyone is trying to get away from the paper trail besides me.

At work these 2 things recently happened.

I have to get online now to get my W 2 at this thing/place they send our W 2 forms.

I said, (I want a paper copy like I have got all the years I have ever been employed).

The answer was (You can go there and print you one if you want it or you can send it directly to your tax person).

I said (WTH)

2ND thing was just yesterday.

We are No Longer issuing Insurance cards.

You can download the app on your Phone.

Here the link below.
Hope this helps.

Link: https://kyoceramobile.com/wp-content...r-Guide-en.pdf
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:13 PM   #5
Ironhorse

Sicklajoie and Getter-Done, thanks for posting that link, I'm sure I will spend some time looking thru that PDF file. Would be nice if the cell phone manufacturers would include a printed copy with each phone tho.

Getter-Done, ran into a similar situation with the paper or hard copy needs when I was still working before I retired. Working for the Boeing A/C Co. in Wichita on the flight line, part of my job duties besides running cranes and moving aircraft was the maintenance and re-certifications and record keeping of our 17 different aircraft tow bars, 6 compressed nitrogen carts, 6 compressed air carts and 2 Liquid Oxygen carts. All had 6 month rotating due dates through out the year. Some one further up the ladder than myself decided we should have ALL that info in the computer since we could access it at any time. That worked out well until we were due in a B-52 for routine maintenance and needed to know the status of the tow bar certification. And of course, the computers were down and my Supervisor could not say for certain in a manager's meeting what the needed tow bar status was. His reply was...I'll check with Gary since he still keeps paper records on ALL the equipment. Computers are great until one can not access the info for whatever reason at the time it is needed. I did come out of the meeting with my Supervisor with an "Atta Boy". Of course we all know one "As...****" wipes out all your past "Atta Boys" in a big hurry.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 04-14-2024, 08:51 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Is this still a flip phone? I had one of those like you had before this phone I have now. I'd love to get another. I lost mine. had it sitting on my back bumper as a central location while doing work outside. Had to run into town real quick before the hardware store closed and you can figure out the rest.

Yeah yeah, sure sure, the manual is online. That doesn't answer the question "Can't they even give a printed owners manual for this product that sets you back hundreds of dollars with more functions than a car? I hate being shoehorned into anything, and definitely have a grudge against being shoehorned into an online-only world. That **** isn't perfect or the end-all for all other methods. But they sure are trying to make it that way. Simplicity is best and that doesn't mean pushing a button on a complicated device that is totally dependent on infrastructure. Everything can not be replaced with this crap and what it's doing is degenerating humanity.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:49 AM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Pretty soon we'll have chips put in our heads when we're little and the dictionary and encyclopedias, too. Then, we'll have to shut down and reboot every night and spend half the next day learning the new operating system. Then, when we get old and decrepit, the chip explodes. OK, I read too much science fiction.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:54 AM   #8
Ironhorse

Tim, the new replacement phone is a so called "smart phone" which is likely much smarter than I am. The replaced phone was also a smart phone but from several generations back down the line. I'm getting accustomed to the use of it but again it still has more bells and whistles than I need or probably will use.

The technology thing of today is constantly getting more and more complicated to "improve" any and all devices but that said each new innovation comes at a cost not only in $$ but to our dependence on these devices.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 04-14-2024, 11:57 AM   #9
Ironhorse

Steeveedee, sounds like your writing the script for a new Terminator movie.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 04-14-2024, 12:15 PM   #10
rgunlock

These days, even if they gave you a printed manual the type would be too small to read it!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Not sure what your new phone is so this might not be a thing for you. I have an Iphone.
When you open the browser (Safari) down at the bottom it has a couple of icons, one of them looks like an open book. If you touch it any bookmarks for websites you have saved are there. If you scroll to the bottom the Iphone user guide is there. Open it up and answers most questions you would have.

Now if you dont have an Iphone my guess is that most phones have the user guide built in to the phone. Just have to find it =)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:58 PM   #12
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I have an Iphone.
When you open the browser (Safari) down at the bottom it has a couple of icons, one of them looks like an open book. If you touch it any bookmarks for websites you have saved are there. If you scroll to the bottom the Iphone user guide is there. Open it up and answers most questions you would have.

=)
Wow

I will have to try to find this and try it out.
Thanks

I have been on the I phone side of things for a While.
Because of my Wife and Nephews.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:23 AM   #13
Boog
laying low

I can usually look up new gadget operating info on the laptop if needed. Bonus is larger print than would be in a tiny little booklet anyway.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote