The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Zippi

*Replacement Turn Signal Lever*

I have a 1984 Chevy steering column in my 49 truck and I'm wanting to replace the turn signal lever with one that does not have the wiper, cruise control, etc. on the lever. Do they make a replacement that is just a rod like the tilt lever is in the pic. The ones I've seen online have a different end where it connects inside the column. I found a billet set of 3 as in the pic but the end looks different. Anyone have any knowledge on how it connects inside the column or what would work. I should have paid closer attention when I replaced the turn signal switch.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zippi; 04-09-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: *Replacement Turn Signal Lever*

In 84, the wiper controls were integral with the turn signal lever, with cruise control being an option.. The best you can do is find a lever that eliminates the CC switch. The wiper control is there for the duration. I don't remember the exact year (probably 1984) when GM moved the headlight dimmer switch and the wiper controls to the column and integrated them with the cruise controls.. Sure makes for a busy turn signal lever..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
In 84, the wiper controls were integral with the turn signal lever, with cruise control being an option.. The best you can do is find a lever that eliminates the CC switch. The wiper control is there for the duration. I don't remember the exact year (probably 1984) when GM moved the headlight dimmer switch and the wiper controls to the column and integrated them with the cruise controls.. Sure makes for a busy turn signal lever..
RustyPile,

Thanks for the info. Did some research and 84 was the year it all went to the column. My column has the dimmer switch at the bottom of the column which is controlled by a rod and all the goodies on the signal lever. I have a couple emails out to vendors that sell aftermarket billet turn signal lever kits that come with the tilt & signal lever and the hazard button. Hoping they have a kit for my column.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
Pontiac1976

I have not seen one for the GM 84 up style column. But for the 83 down column.
they do have a few out there. There is re-placement signal lever like factory. you could get. (LMC, Classic Parts, & a few more) I think Eastwood sells really nice looks like all the real thing, chrome paint that you could paint the black plastic make it match the theme. good look on your search
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
RustyPile,

Thanks for the info. Did some research and 84 was the year it all went to the column. My column has the dimmer switch at the bottom of the column which is controlled by a rod and all the goodies on the signal lever. I have a couple emails out to vendors that sell aftermarket billet turn signal lever kits that come with the tilt & signal lever and the hazard button. Hoping they have a kit for my column.
In your case, no tools or disassembly is required to replace the lever. The CC switch is built into the lever, while the wiper switch is inside the column.. The lever just plugs into the pivot and will come out with a tug.. The cruise control switch wiring harness is separate from the turn signal harness and the wiper harness.. The harness consists of 4 small gauge wires arranged in a ribbon.. If the harness is still intact, you should be able to pull it up through the column if you want to salvage the switch/lever and harness.. Otherwise, just cut the harness at the switch and pull the harness out from the bottom..
Old 04-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: *Replacement Turn Signal Lever*

The only thing I know you could do is take your switch out and buy a stock metal, not billet and weld the end of yours to the switch you buy to work and not have the wiper's and such on it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The only thing I know you could do is take your switch out and buy a stock metal, not billet and weld the end of yours to the switch you buy to work and not have the wiper's and such on it.
Andy,
Not a bad idea. I'll keep that in mind. Don't have a welder but I guess I could find someone.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

It is fairly easy to replace the column dimmer switch with a floor mount version. As mentioned above, the 84 dimmer is at the base of the column. The connector kept the same pattern as the floor dimmer but as the wires are too short, you will have to splice and extend. I did this on a CUCV as the column dimmer switch was shot and I wanted the dimmer location/function to match my 75.

This doesn't solve the lever question but does move one function out of the mix.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Stormin08

look closely, this is my 89...replaced very easily. i added a hidden switch to control the wipers.
Attached Images

Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
look closely, this is my 89...replaced very easily. i added a hidden switch to control the wipers.
Looks like a billet lever. Is it the pop in kind or bolt on? If it's a pop in kind do you have a link to where you got it? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: *Replacement Turn Signal Lever*

Quote:
Looks like a billet lever. Is it the pop in kind or bolt on? If it's a pop in kind do you have a link to where you got it? Thanks.
You could pull your lever out and buy the billet set and take it and cut the end off of it and make it work I bet with a dremel tool and some time grinding it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
Stormin08

i dont recall where i got them, and i have since sold the truck.

i dont recall it taking much effort to install
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
Pontiac1976

Quote:
I have a 1984 Chevy steering column in my 49 truck and I'm wanting to replace the turn signal lever with one that does not have the wiper, cruise control, etc. on the lever. Do they make a replacement that is just a rod like the tilt lever is in the pic. The ones I've seen online have a different end where it connects inside the column. I found a billet set of 3 as in the pic but the end looks different. Anyone have any knowledge on how it connects inside the column or what would work. I should have paid closer attention when I replaced the turn signal switch.
Quote:
Note: the bottom pic is for the 73-83 style column will not work.

I see you have these options on you signal lever - cruise control, wipers.
As said you could try weld the tip on your new alloy stock but it will stick out about 1-1/4" more then it would.

This will make you lose the option of cruise control.
(1)option: If you do not care about the cruise control you could get a all black factory OEM signal lever 84-87 with (Mist OFF L0 Hl) markings this will fit you can pain with some of the alum paints or some of the chrome like paints or combo of the candy chrome paints. and it will fit in more like you want.(this will look like your now but will not have the button on the end or the switch horn sticking up for the resume of the cruise control.)

(2) option: You can change your column to 73-83 style with tilt or with out tilt. This means you have to change your dash face bezel to 73-83 to the stye your looking for to get the dash mount wiper switch. then you have re-wire the wire switch to the dash switch. https://bowtieguy.proboards.com/thre...ce-bezels-fits this will help show you the break downs.
This is pic shows wiper motor break down.
https://bowtieguy.proboards.com/thre...-washer-repair

I hope this May help you.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac1976 View Post
Note: the bottom pic is for the 73-83 style column will not work.

I see you have these options on you signal lever - cruise control, wipers.
As said you could try weld the tip on your new alloy stock but it will stick out about 1-1/4" more then it would.

This will make you lose the option of cruise control.
(1)option: If you do not care about the cruise control you could get a all black factory OEM signal lever 84-87 with (Mist OFF L0 Hl) markings this will fit you can pain with some of the alum paints or some of the chrome like paints or combo of the candy chrome paints. and it will fit in more like you want.(this will look like your now but will not have the button on the end or the switch horn sticking up for the resume of the cruise control.)

(2) option: You can change your column to 73-83 style with tilt or with out tilt. This means you have to change your dash face bezel to 73-83 to the stye your looking for to get the dash mount wiper switch. then you have re-wire the wire switch to the dash switch. https://bowtieguy.proboards.com/thre...ce-bezels-fits this will help show you the break downs.
This is pic shows wiper motor break down.
https://bowtieguy.proboards.com/thre...-washer-repair

I hope this May help you.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at videos online and saw something that caught my eye. I took a screen shot of this fellows earlier steering column and turn signal lever and how it attaches to the turn signal switch. The switch I have has the same area where I could use a screw on turn signal lever. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking the older style lever should work on my switch. I do have 4 wires coming off my turn signal lever but I'm hoping that is all for the options on the switch and the turn signal is operated off the turn signal switch itself.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #15
RustyPile

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was looking at videos online and saw something that caught my eye. I took a screen shot of this fellows earlier steering column and turn signal lever and how it attaches to the turn signal switch. The switch I have has the same area where I could use a screw on turn signal lever. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking the older style lever should work on my switch. I do have 4 wires coming off my turn signal lever but I'm hoping that is all for the options on the switch and the turn signal is operated off the turn signal switch itself.
An older style lever may or may not attach to your present turn signal switch.. However, the fly in your ointment is the upper housing and the extended area that encloses the wiper switch and pivot.. You'll have to hog out quite an opening for clearance so the lever can have enough movement.. Also, you'll have to remove the wiper switch and it's pivot..

With all due respect, you're going to an awful lot of trouble just to get rid of a lever..
Old 04-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #16
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
An older style lever may or may not attach to your present turn signal switch.. However, the fly in your ointment is the upper housing and the extended area that encloses the wiper switch and pivot.. You'll have to hog out quite an opening for clearance so the lever can have enough movement.. Also, you'll have to remove the wiper switch and it's pivot..

With all due respect, you're going to an awful lot of trouble just to get rid of a lever..
I appreciate your help and concern but tweaked what I can on my ole classic pickup is enjoyable to me. Just trying to make it cleaner looking. I'll see if I can dig into this next week and see what I can work out as I'm still working on my door panels.