The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Dleslie212

Finished Pro Flo 4 install

I finally finished my Pro Flo 4 install last week and just wanted to share a few pics and info.

1977 K10 350

Last year, I completely went through my rear diff housing. I removed it completely, had it sandblasted, I painted it, painted the leaf springs. New bushings (nightmare, BTW - removing the old leaf spring bushings was the biggest pain in the ass ever). New leaf spring rear mounts. New seals, ring and pinion and a new Eaton TruTrac. Anyway, as soon as I finished the rear end, I took my truck out to the nearest trail to test it out. The first decline I went down, the truck died at the bottom of a bowl. It took me awhile to get it started back up, only for it to die again trying to get back out. It seems the Edelbrock 1405 carb I had on there didn’t like steep angles.

After some research, and the recommendation of another poster here (I can’t remember who it was), I decided on installing an Edelbrock Pro Flo system. I wanted ease of starting mostly. My truck is not a daily driver, and sits in my driveway in the Phoenix heat sometimes for a week or two at a time, if not more. Getting it to start in the summertime after sitting for so long, and all thenfuel had evaporated from the bowls sucked. I would kill the battery, and then have to charge it and try again. An hour long process sometimes. I had read about installing an electric pump to help with this, but I was also tired of the carb not staying tuned and always having to fiddle with it. Add in that it the carb wasn’t great for off-roading, which is the main reason I bought the truck to begin with, and going EFI was the obvious choice. After a couple of months of buttering up the wife, I snagged a Pro Flo 4 kit for my birthday at the very beginning of the year. It took a lot of dropping hints and convincing, as I had just spent $2000 on rebuilding the rear end.

Here are a few albums of pics I had taken during the install process. These were taken with the intent to post on the Edelbrock forum, not as a completed installation, so things are a little unfinished in the pics but I can take more if requested

https://imgur.com/gallery/Doayr4Q
https://imgur.com/gallery/psWmjYs

The installation was ALOT more work than I initially anticipated, and cost ALOT more than I had planned on. The Pro Flo 4 kit was $2000, and another $1500.00 for everything else I needed - fuel pump, fuel lines, new spark plugs, wires. Even dumb things, like wanting new spark plug wire looms, water neck, radiator hoses. There were a few things I wanted to replace, like water pump and alternator, that I ended up just reusing.

Anyway, I took the truck out for it’s first real test, back to the same bowl that defeated me before. It climbed right in and right out. The truck starts up beautifully, no matter how long it sits. It idles nice and smooth at stoplights. It doesn’t feel like it’s going to constantly die anymore. The biggest difference has been throttle response. So far, I’m extremely happy with it.

Next project I think will be a spartan locker in the front
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Finished Pro Flo 4 install

NICE! Congratulations.

I have been running the PF4 in my 85 K20 for about a year now. I lOVE it. I'm in Yuma so I get what you're saying.

Out of curiosity, what fuel system are you using? For now I'm using the remote sump but it has heatsoak issues in the summertime. I'll be switching to baffled tanks and in-tank pumps in the near future.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Dleslie212

Re: Finished Pro Flo 4 install

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
NICE! Congratulations.

I have been running the PF4 in my 85 K20 for about a year now. I lOVE it. I'm in Yuma so I get what you're saying.

Out of curiosity, what fuel system are you using? For now I'm using the remote sump but it has heatsoak issues in the summertime. I'll be switching to baffled tanks and in-tank pumps in the near future.
I’m in Phoenix now, but grew up and spent the first 30 years of my life in Yuma! I know it well. I miss hitting **** creek. I’m actually thinking of driving down for the dunes over thanksgiving.

My truck has the dual tanks, and last year I replaced both senders and the fuel selector valve with one of the new style, six wire types. The truck had a return line originally, and the new senders I got were the three port style so I could put the return line back into use. I ended up getting a 60 psi electric pump and mounting it inside the top passenger side frame rail, then using AN -6 pre-made fuel lines, one from the pump to a 60 PSI regulator, then back from regulator to the return line. I don’t think the pics I posted had any of the fuel lines in them, I’ll try to post a few more later today

I had considered using the sump system as well, but the heat soak issues I had read about scared me off it. How has that been working for you?

Edit - have you looked into the in-tank pumps at all? I did very very briefly, but I’m curious what you’re planning because I may want to do that as well

Last edited by Dleslie212; 03-03-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote