The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
cornerstone

Texas C10 Nationals

The Texas C10 Nationals are this weekend, and as usual it's hot and humid. I spent a few hours walking around checking out all the trucks entered into the competition, the autocross track timed events, vendors and the large number of bearded old fat dudes and dudettes rolling around on electric scooters. I would fit in that category... only I wasn't smart enough to reserve one in advance. I noticed there were many more square bodies than the previous years. I also picked up a new blue dash pad from Southwest Classics. I guess I'll sell the gray one I bought when my plan was to go with red and white colors so if interested I'll post it up for sale in the proper thread soon.

That red and white 68 Chevy truck looked like an honest original fun daily driver, assuming it had air conditioning.

The blue 72 step side won the shiniest truck award in my opinion. So clean it must be a trailer queen.

The ratty long bed has to be one of the coolest sleepers in the world to drive. I love the finishes they chose under the hood..

And lastly a near perfect restoration with mild and tasteful upgrades any one of us would love to own.

I have a few more pics I can post later.

*I see I posted this is the "projects and builds" section by accident. I intended to post it to the general 67-72 message board, my apologies.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 05-12-2023 at 06:34 PM.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:14 PM   #2
D.B

Re: Texas C10 Nationals

Hey, I was out there today as well. I actually got in line at 5:30am and was number 2. Crazy I know but I had a great time. Parked on back fence between turn one and the tunnel. I had my 72 Blue/White C20, sets like a 4wd but it is not. Was hanging with my friends who had a purple 67 short bed step side lowered with a blown small block, a red 64 short step side and another that had his 68 50th anniversary gold/white fleetside long bed.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:24 PM   #3
cornerstone

Hey there D.B! I think you actually said hello to me as I was approaching to take a picture of your truck. You've got a beautiful classic man.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:47 PM   #4
D.B

Brian, you just made my day. I met and talked to so many people it is hard to remember everyone. Do you go to any of the car shows in the DFW area. If so maybe we can meet up and talk truck. Thanks for the pics and I have enjoyed reading your build. That will be an awesome truck when you get it done.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:44 PM   #5
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B View Post
Brian, you just made my day. I met and talked to so many people it is hard to remember everyone. Do you go to any of the car shows in the DFW area. If so maybe we can meet up and talk truck. Thanks for the pics and I have enjoyed reading your build. That will be an awesome truck when you get it done.
Excellent! Thanks for the compliment! No, I don't go to many car shows which doesn't make much sense come to think of it. I suppose I could take my '68 C50 dump truck... it's in incredible condition for being so original. I guess I've been waiting on getting the 72 C10 up to snuff before I hit the shows. You can guarantee when it's back on the road we'll meet up... I'll be looking to go to as many as I can. Do you think people would be interested in seeing a dump truck at the shows you're familiar with?

Old 05-13-2023, 11:12 PM   #6
cornerstone

Here were several black beauties that were photo worthy.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2023, 11:16 PM   #7
cornerstone

A couple more of the black variety.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2023, 10:18 AM   #8
D.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Excellent! Thanks for the compliment! No, I don't go to many car shows which doesn't make much sense come to think of it. I suppose I could take my '68 C50 dump truck... it's in incredible condition for being so original. I guess I've been waiting on getting the 72 C10 up to snuff before I hit the shows. You can guarantee when it's back on the road we'll meet up... I'll be looking to go to as many as I can. Do you think people would be interested in seeing a dump truck at the shows you're familiar with?
There is only one show that I can think of and it is the CCC club show that is put on the third Saturday of each month. It is at Birdville Stadium on Precinct Line Road north of 820. When I go, there is always something different showing up. But one thing I have never seen at one is a large truck like your C50. I bet it would draw attention and for sure when a class award.

I think I come out in your area some. I am helping a friend build a drag car and he lives off of Midway/Jacksboro Hwy area. I have been doing this on Saturdays for the last 18 months, only time we have to work on it. We finally got it done enough to send it over to paint and body. We built it from a bare shell, it will be an 87 Dodge Daytona and resemble the late 80's Prostock fashion. Every part on it is fabricated.
The one I race is a 2000 S10 Xtreme standard cab. I made thread up on it. I built it back in 2013. It is fun to drive.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
davischevy

Thanks for posting. We didn't get to go this year. My grandson wanted to go but too many other commitments.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:26 PM   #10

Looks like a good show for sure. Thank you for posting. You wouldn’t happen to have a few more of the black 68 with that cowl hood by chance ?
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:59 PM   #11
awbanks

Thanks for sharing the photos! I love looking at what other's have done for inspiration for my own project

1971 C20 Longhorn
awbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:48 PM   #12
cornerstone

Quote:
There is only one show that I can think of and it is the CCC club show that is put on the third Saturday of each month. It is at Birdville Stadium on Precinct Line Road north of 820. When I go, there is always something different showing up. But one thing I have never seen at one is a large truck like your C50. I bet it would draw attention and for sure when a class award.

I think I come out in your area some. I am helping a friend build a drag car and he lives off of Midway/Jacksboro Hwy area. I have been doing this on Saturdays for the last 18 months, only time we have to work on it. We finally got it done enough to send it over to paint and body. We built it from a bare shell, it will be an 87 Dodge Daytona and resemble the late 80's Prostock fashion. Every part on it is fabricated.
The one I race is a 2000 S10 Xtreme standard cab. I made thread up on it. I built it back in 2013. It is fun to drive.

Thanks! I'll plan on going out to the show next Saturday evening. I looked into the CCC club as well and it seems like something that I'd like to possibly join, I'll know more after the show.

I had a boss back in 1987 who bought a Dodge Daytona turbo brand new. It was cool back then and I bet his will look awesome as a drag car. Yeah, you pass my exit every time you go out to his place. You should stop by my place and give me pointers on my build sometime, I always have questions. Seems like all the tracks have closed up in the DFW area, but I don't keep up with it so much anymore. Where do you race at? I'll check out your thread if I can find it.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:25 AM   #13
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Thanks for posting. We didn't get to go this year. My grandson wanted to go but too many other commitments.
I was looking out for you Larry, and Eric (Chevyland) as well as other builds I've followed along with... 1971Stepside, TAC10, and Akleypas but unfortunately didn't see any of you this year. Maybe next year. I did get to meet Jason VaNatta of VaNatta Fabrication though, and got to see his incredible red truck. He had crowds around his wild custom truck every time I walked by it. I was hoping to meet his brother Mitch as well, he's the owner of Swaptime. (The company who built my gen 5 LT harness) He plans to be at Texas Motor Speedway for LS Fest next week, so I may try to get back out there for that event as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by cornerstone; 05-15-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 12:28 AM   #14
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3767 View Post
Looks like a good show for sure. Thank you for posting. You wouldn’t happen to have a few more of the black 68 with that cowl hood by chance ?
You bet...This is the only other one I took, I wish I thought to take a few of his red interior but failed to do so.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2023, 12:54 AM   #15
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbanks View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos! I love looking at what other's have done for inspiration for my own project
Glad to do it. Yeah, I'm addicted as well. Best looking trucks ever made IMO. Let me give you some more inspiration...
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2023, 12:56 AM   #16
cornerstone

Continued...
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2023, 06:25 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Thanks for all the great pictures. And thanks for keeping it all 67-72s for this forum

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:56 AM   #18
D.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Thanks! I'll plan on going out to the show next Saturday evening. I looked into the CCC club as well and it seems like something that I'd like to possibly join, I'll know more after the show.

I had a boss back in 1987 who bought a Dodge Daytona turbo brand new. It was cool back then and I bet his will look awesome as a drag car. Yeah, you pass my exit every time you go out to his place. You should stop by my place and give me pointers on my build sometime, I always have questions. Seems like all the tracks have closed up in the DFW area, but I don't keep up with it so much anymore. Where do you race at? I'll check out your thread if I can find it.
I race with TMCCC which is a bracket racing club. Your right that some tracks have closed but not all. This year we have 12 races and they are at Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Tx, Xtreme Raceway Park in Ferris, Tx, Redline Raceway in Caddo Mills, Tx and Ardmore Dragway in Ardmore, Ok. I wish I knew how to link my S10 thread to this post but I have no idea how. I will send you PM so we can trade numbers.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:41 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
I race with TMCCC which is a bracket racing club. Your right that some tracks have closed but not all. This year we have 12 races and they are at Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Tx, Xtreme Raceway Park in Ferris, Tx, Redline Raceway in Caddo Mills, Tx and Ardmore Dragway in Ardmore, Ok. I wish I knew how to link my S10 thread to this post but I have no idea how. I will send you PM so we can trade numbers.
It looked like Redline was closed the last 2 times I was out that way (Fri/Sat evenings). I thought maybe they shut it down as the billboard between the track & highway was stripped of the location/track ID. It only has a phone # regarding the sale of the 5acre site. That's a bummer because it's the closest track to me. Xtreme is the next closest & has been my more frequent go-to (spectator) lately.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 11:41 AM   #20
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Thanks for all the great pictures. And thanks for keeping it all 67-72s for this forum
I agree on the first point, and I really really agree on the second point!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #21

Thanks for the pick Brian. She is straight looking at the gaps and the cowl hood is really close. Looks like weld racing wheels. May be 20x8 I’m guessing. Whomever did the body work did a nice job.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:47 PM   #22
D.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It looked like Redline was closed the last 2 times I was out that way (Fri/Sat evenings). I thought maybe they shut it down as the billboard between the track & highway was stripped of the location/track ID. It only has a phone # regarding the sale of the 5acre site. That's a bummer because it's the closest track to me. Xtreme is the next closest & has been my more frequent go-to (spectator) lately.
Redline is still open. They are going to be open seven days a week soon. I have had two Sunday races there recently plus a Saturday test day. FYI - Regan has been schooling me on my delay box settings. He gets on to me for not getting more test time in.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:00 AM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Redline is still open. They are going to be open seven days a week soon. I have had two Sunday races there recently plus a Saturday test day. FYI - Regan has been schooling me on my delay box settings. He gets on to me for not getting more test time in.
I wish they'd post a schedule online vs only on Facebook.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:32 AM   #24
cornerstone

I was just fartin' around on YouTube and found a newly released video of the Texas C10 Nationals that lasts an hour and 40 minutes. It shows way more trucks than I photographed, so if interested check it out! The title is "TEXAS TRUCK SHOW! C10 NATIONALS AT THE TWXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY" put out by Cars with JDUB.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:53 AM   #25
cornerstone

Quote:
Brian, you just made my day.
Hey D.B, I saw your truck in the video at the 1:17:48 marker FYI