The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
crittman

Need help what should i do??????

So I have recently purchased a 1969 Chevy (SWB Step Side) as a restoration project. This has been my dream truck for over 15 years and I finally have one. Here is my dilemma. The truck is all original matching numbers with an inline 6, 3 speed on column. NO RUST ANYWHERE, it actually has original rockers, and cab corners. The truck was actually donated to a automotive program and they sanded on it and painted primer, took the engine, tranny, and rear end in and out. It is in amazingly great shape but needs a true off frame restoration. With that being said I have the question of go all Original, or Make it my own. I like the idea of the truck being all original with the exception of a/c and some highway gears. You just dont see that many that are "restored original" I know its only original once but I want to see what you thought?
crittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Need help what should i do??????

Mine was too original to goof with so I restored it to factory. I still want one to build & mod someday. You'll figure it out and make a decision. How about a pic or two while you ponder?

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
crittman

I will def post pics by the weekend. I am out of town on business but will be back friday
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

First, welcome to the board.

Second, sounds like a cool truck!

Now...on to the question at hand...

If it were a Cheyenne super bb swb truck I'd restore it to factory spec.....or a highlander or CST with some nice options....

If you're planning to add a/c and highway gears and since it's not in original paint...I'd build the truck the way you want it. If you are concerned with value and making it look like an original, pick a truck you'd like to duplicate. Maybe add a V8 and make it look factory, put in a factory auto column (tilt is a great addition) and go with the style paint you like for 69-70 (solid color or a two tone)

A truck restored with a v8 and some nice options would be worth more than a truck restored with an inline 6 and three speed put back...

You can still make it look like a restored original...even down to having a correct SPID sheet made for the glovebox to match the options you add.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Welcome from Texas
I agree with VA72C10 make the truck the way you want it to be!

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
crittman

Thanks guys this def helps
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
sharpmark

hey mate -mine was reasonably original when bought and i happily drove it as such until a few things started too annoy me-mainly the rotton deck and the worn harmonic balancer on the 250 i6 that threatened too fly off one day.
it was originally a 292i6 so swapping back to that if i could find one was always on the cards to happen oneday.
circumstances dictated that when i did the deck i ended up doing total revamp including swapping in a 305 while the 292 i found is being rebuilt.
upshot is mine is basically restored with a few subtle changes that improve it ie pwrsteering,fuel tank at rear and lowered abit.
you can go really overboard on custom or restoration as some have done on here or just a basic tidy up-whatever - but the main thing is to not OVERCOMMIT and to make sure you have FUN doing it
1934 oldsmobile sedan-350/350/12 bolt posi
1930 model a pickup-350/350/jag ind
1928 model a roadster-283/350/9"
sharpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
crittman

Talking Re: Need help what should i do??????

Thanks Sharpmark. The overcommit is def good advise. And i am def going to have fun doing it
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Mac Arnold

The great thing about these trucks, is there are so many vendors and companies that sell original or aftermarket parts. So whichever way you decide to go you will definately not have any trouble finding parts. Be careful though as I have found out in just the last month after buying my 69 SWB FLT those $$$$ add up very quickly! LOL
Mac Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
70cst

First crittman ... from Ohio and to the forum.

When its all said and done...you got to do what makes you happy. Either decision that you make will be the right decision. Good Luck

Oh yes...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
CC69Rat

Bag it !

Kidding .. make it your own! What is worth more to you ? Original or your own real 'dream truck' ?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
trev1

Welcome!!!!!

First of all it's your truck. Do with it what you want. I have a 69 BB AC truck that I put a 350 4 sp into it. But I did use the factory med olive green paint. You cant go wrong with these trucks.. They are easy to work on and have are tough as nails.

We need pics!!!

Heres mine. Still a work in progress.
Attached Images

trev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
jocko

Did you pay an arm and a leg for it? Would you get an arm and a leg for it if you sold it (in line with the "is it a SWB BB cheyenne super", etc...)?

I say do what you like - i.e. if that is to modify it, then by all means go for it. I HAD this problem once - and ended up selling a 65 Impala SS with 396 because of it. It WAS all original and I couldn't hot rod it, it was that nice. So sold it for some profit, used that profit toward my 66 C10. Now it was darn original too, and some might shoot me for modifying it (a little) but I bought it to work on it, and didn't think twice about the T5 trans swap, and will go from there (although I did feel a little guilty when chopping a hole in my floor).

That sharpmark is, well, sharp... I find I am often of the same philosophy - because part of me doesn't want to get to an irreversible condition. Don't get me wrong, I love the lowered trucks and some of the major mods folks tend to do on here - showcases incredible workmanship. But for ME, I like to keep my mods subtle, unnoticeable if possible, and when I do a mod, I do take extra effort to make it reversible IF possible.

For example - when doing my T5 swap, I had to cut a hole in the floor. No worries. But I also grabbed an extra steering column at a swap meet for peanuts so I can mod the collar off of it and swap it to make it look like a floor shift column... while still retaining all the old parts just in case I sell it and someone is a nut/bolt restorer.

Another question to ask yourself is, "self, do I see myself selling this truck in the future?"
If yes, then it might behoove you to retain some originality or at least a path to it - there is no arguing the fact that ALL buyers like to buy an original (whether to restore or to bag & hot rod) but a slightly (or not so slightly) smaller segment of that group of buyers would be a buyer for a bagged, frame-draggin, hot rod.

So, just some things to consider. Although I bought my 66 to hot rod, I still seem to find myself not wanting to go too far. Not because I am worried about resale, but because I want to do just the mods I want to do to it. If you want a bagged hot rod, then by all means that is what you should build.

The ONLY advice I have that is worth a darn is this: pick a fork in the road and run down it, and don't look back. It's real easy to ruin a project with regret and too much wondering "what coulda been".... (Kinda like being married, or so I've learned...) (the hard way )
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
HeavyD

Well you are asking for opinions, so I will give mine. I have owned a few 6/3-tree trucks and after my last 70 GMC I swore I would never own another ever again. Just was no fun to drive..I say swap the stuff out.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
hugger6933

I say [and do ]build what is best for the one that owns it and is spending the money on it. It is not like it is a super rare or stupid high or low option to make it worth a lot of money back as new. You don't have any attachment to this truck other than it is what you wanted, meaning it was not a fathers/grandfather or moms uncle or the like. The truck would be more fun and if you ever plan to sell the next owner would be happier with a 350/350 combo as well. Also a 350/350 [or the like ]will be worth more money to you and the next one down the line. But then again it is yours do what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Any thoughts of a 454/400 combo that has not been brought up ,I am taking two of my project trucks that are v8 autos and changing to454/400's and one is a 327 3spd that probably end up a 350/ t5 5sp just to break up the monotiny. Good luck
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote