The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Coneboy

Lift kit help?

I just picked up a 4" lift kit for my 1980 GMC Jimmy. The rear is springs only- no blocks. My question is: When adding this type of lift to these trucks, has everyone ended up with the same shims? Or is it on a case-by-case scenario? If you've got the same set up, what degree shims are you using? THANKS!!!
Coneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Lift kit help?

Seems like all the lift blocks have the same taper built into them, but honestly they are going to have different effect on K5 vs K10 short bed vs K10 long bed. I'd start with whatever you have and see if you have a problem.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Coneboy

Thanks Bruiser, I was just curious if there was a trend toward a certain degree shim. Thought I might be able to narrow down which shim to purchase and get lucky the first time. Guess I'll just have to go the long route. Thanks again
Coneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Ski-me

I'd recomend Steel Shims that bolt to the spring pack. Not the aluminum ones. Aluminum tends to get brittle and can break apart...not good. And the aluminum ones I've seen don't bolt to spring pack (pro-comp comes to mind). Just be aware.

Also, with a 4" lift, you may end up with driveline vibration issues. Really depends on truck. But more likely, than not. As a short term fix, you could drop your t-case with a t-case drop kit. Don't use the small, think washer stack you may currently have that is on top of the t-case cross member. They are not strong enough to use as a drop spacer.

Once that is done, your t-case angle should be parallel with your axle yoke angle. That's with the stock driveshaft. With the lift and tcase drop, your driveshaft is also going to be too short so you may have to lengthen it too. Just have to see once installed.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote