The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #26
Irish1941

Re: Wrecked K5s: a case study

Remember the seat & belts are only as good as the floor it's bolted to. Big plates on the underside should hold it in.
Found a photo online of the factory rear roll bar. There are plates that go underneath and sandwich the floor pan and wheel tubs.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
swissarmychainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy79 View Post
I stuff my kiddo's in back of my K5 when the weather is nice. We have talked about taking it on Vacation this summer.... This makes me cringe to think about the what ifs.. etc

I've had thoughts about a station wagon... maybe its time to think more heavily on that for a family cruiser?
For this reason, I went with a Suburban. Love convertibles, but not so much with my 5 year old in the back.

So far, the BURB has been awesome too! It's old chevy goodness in a monster truck package!
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I don't consider them dangerous. How many convertible Mustangs are sold every year, or full convertibles? I am much more mindful of my driving when kids are in the back, but I'm not going to sell them or cage them or stop driving them with the top off - its not a death sentence. Use common sense and enjoy.
Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more, use of common sense with old trucks goes together like PB and Jelly. You can have one with out the other, but they go so much better together
Not being a smartass,but you guys talk like you're the only one on the road. All the common sense and sensibility is moot when it comes to all the other fools out there with their heads up their ying yang,not to mention unforeseen variable,such as a blow out,or any numbers of things. Being fully aware can help you avoid more things,but it can never eliminate all possibilities. Hey,I'm not a worry wart and not afraid to take certain risks in life. Just sayin'...

Like I said,I travelled from Maryland to the Grand Canyon,all around northern NM,SW CO,SE NV,and northern Z,and back to Maryland,s well as countless beach and mountain camping trips from Edisto Is.,SC to Cape Cod with my kids in the back in a box made of 2x2s covered in aluminum siding. And,our family car was a '90 K5 for 18 years.

Another point about a k5 vs Mustang or other car convertibles,which should be obvious,is they are far less prone to roll over than a K5 by a large factor. Add taller sidewall tires and some lift...you can figure out the rest. The only vehicles I have ever laid on the side were both lifted with tall tire 4wds and both were due to a tire issue. And yes,the tires were fairly new in tip top condition

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #29
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Tim, all good points. My comment about convertible cars was only meant to point out that new cars are sold every day with nothing to keep the car off your noggin except a windshield pillar, so the half-cab shouldn't be discounted so quickly. You've got me beat on the years of service, but between my first two K5's they were my only means of transportation for 11 years. Like you said, you can't plan for idiots and I met a few. For what it's worth, I'll share the three that come to mind.

In an 83 K5 that my parents bought new and gave to me in 87, I was on a four lane highway going low 60 mph when a car didn't see me and pulled out in front of me. I had to yank the wheel hard left to avoid a collision, there was no room at all to brake - that would have been a certain rear-end collision. All four tires yelped, but I changed to the left lane and missed hitting the car. It was all stock and needless to say I was pretty amazed.

Second time around it was the early 90's and the 83 K5 was gone but I'd brought home another one, a 76 that was still stock. The wheels were 15x8 white wagon wheels with 31x10.50 Cooper Discoverer tires and the same incident as above happened except with two buddies riding but with the same result - I had to change lanes so fast the tires hollered but I missed the guy that pulled out of the gas station on to the four lane in front of me. All this without running off the road into the median or rolling, but when the tires protest that loudly you know you pushed the limits further than you'd ever want to.

About three years later in the same 76 K5, I'm driving and my toddler daughter was in her car seat belted in the rear center of the back seat. I'd added a 2.5" Rancho lift and RS5000 shocks and new replacement rear leaf springs with new bushings over the rear block lift. The plans were for 33x12.50 tires on 15x10 wheels, but it was still riding on the 15x8 wagon wheels and 31x10.50 Cooper tires since they were brand new when I bought the truck and still had tons of miles left on them. This was another 4-lane incident and similar to the first two but with a twist. I was coming up on a slower moving Jeep Cherokee at low 60's mph, so I checked my mirrors to change lanes and when I looked up the Jeep was on the brakes and I was about to hit it. We've all been down 4-lane highways and seen the houses that line them very sporadically, and this Jeep was turning into the driveway of one. So for a third time I yanked the wheel hard left but this time the right front tire blew. I can't explain why the truck didn't roll, you'd think it should have. I guess He had bigger plans for me and my daughter.

But anyway, however you slice it, I've had three more very close calls in a K5 than I want to have had but they handled better than you'd expect. Maybe I should have said we're not talking about CJ5's or CJ7's. Or maybe I got it right the first time, enjoy them and use your common sense and you should be fine. I definitely recommend replacing or upgrading the springs, shocks, and bushings. I've done all the above to both of mine with the exception of rear bushings on the rear of my CUCV, but I have the bushings and will do the job. Even mildly lifted, they handle better than you'd think. I'm not against anyone upgrading for safety at all, but the tone seemed to be describing them more unsafe than I think they are.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build

Last edited by 68Timber; 03-15-2014 at 09:56 PM.
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #30
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
There is an optional rear roll bar that was from '76 to '80 or so. Never seen a factory installed after '81. Another member, JeffinCo, install one in his '89 for roof off safety.
Maybe they were an option for a few more years though. My first Blazer was an 82 and it was equipped with the factory rear bar. I've seen very few Blazers with the factory bar and was surprised to see it in mine. It was probably rarely selected as most might see it as more in the way than anything. How many people plan on a rollover, right?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I wonder what the cost was for that option? It's a chunk of meat right there,and I'm sure GM wasn't giving them away. That,and the concept of "safety" these days goes far beyond what it was years ago. You wonder how we all survived. Thing is,I don't believe any less are dieing on our hiways than before. The safer they make them the worse people drive. Like what Bruiser is saying,the car won't save your life,that's up to you (as much as is in your control)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #32
Boog
laying low

I never did any offroading with my Blazers. Just daily commuting. They are fun vehicles. We loved driving in the snow with them. While mine were all stock suspension and tire sizes never at any time did we feel unsafe in them. A lot of highway miles were put on them too. The Chalet, now that one I'd be leary off rolling over. Looks to me she's top heavy.
Common sense or lack of has a lot to do with how dangerous any vehicle can be. And then there are the unexpected things like John experienced, 3 times no less.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #33
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

On my military Blazer I've installed new bushings on the front leaf springs but not on the rear, and you can tell a big difference between front and rear as you go over bumps. The bushings lock up to the spring and bushing eye bolt sleeves as age and rust mate them together and they quit articulating like they should. As long as they're fresh enough to operate as designed, a square K5 handles pretty dang well. Replacing spring eye and shackle bushings is necessary though.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Wouldn't it be nice if there could be bearings in the spring eyes rather than bushings? Or,how about just some space age composite bushing or coating. I always slather with anti-seize,for what it's worth. I figure I'll be back into it on my older stuff before it's all galled up. It's a maybe on higher mileage stuff. Heck,even some crazy semi-permanent lube that lasts forever (figure of speech) would be nice. There are greaseable shackles. I'd like to have those

Tim

Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #35
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

That would be nice. I hate spring eye bolts almost as much as bumper bolts. I'm using the Energy Suspension lube that comes with the bushings. It is very tacky, hopefully it'll last.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #36
Irish1941

When I bought my current '89, it was a butt pucker ride home and I've driven some real junk. Bone stock, no lift but just plain wore out and junk mis-matched tires. Drove it 70 miles and it was all over the road. Rear end was so wobbly felt like it was going to go over in a gentle turn.
I installed grease-able shackle bushings and it was night and day difference. Just need to stay on them or they start to squeak but one problem I noticed is the bushing sleeve is sloppy on the bolts and there is no serrations to bite it to the shackle plate. Ended up making my own sleeves from DOM tube for a better fit.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #37
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I forgot to mention, I order new spring and shackle bolts from Husky Spring. One of those, as long as I've got it apart, may as well...

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #38
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
When I bought my current '89, it was a butt pucker ride home and I've driven some real junk. Bone stock, no lift but just plain wore out and junk mis-matched tires. Drove it 70 miles and it was all over the road. Rear end was so wobbly felt like it was going to go over in a gentle turn.
I installed grease-able shackle bushings and it was night and day difference. Just need to stay on them or they start to squeak but one problem I noticed is the bushing sleeve is sloppy on the bolts and there is no serrations to bite it to the shackle plate. Ended up making my own sleeves from DOM tube for a better fit.
When I pulled the front shackle bushings out of the frame on my green truck they were so egged out they couldn't have been doing much of anything, but you can't see them behind the shackles.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

I hate the pulling old springs part. After that,I love doing suspension and axle work. I figure on cutting the shackle/spring eye bolts,and have all new hardware,shackles,and bushings,any time I pull original springs. Usually,it's the rear that gives me trouble. When I pulled the springs off my Suburban for the Jimmy it was a breeze,since I had installed them 8 years earlier and slathered the anti-seize. And,that had been new hardware

Tim

Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #40
Ski-me

Quote:
I run my truck all over California with 4" lift and 33". Solid as a rock and I fixed all the problems with K5s at speed. Tires @ 40psi, stiffer shocks, rear sway bar, bigger tie rod, all new front parts...even managed to get rid of the common K5 brake pull problem.
They act weird over 75. Get very light in the front end.

We have the baby in a Simpson baby seat made the race car seat belt co. but she is rarely in the truck on the highway.
There is an optional rear roll bar that was from '76 to '80 or so. Never seen a factory installed after '81. Another member, JeffinCo, install one in his '89 for roof off safety.
Well, since you mentioned it.....

I found an old, factory roll bar and installed it in my 89'. It was a direct bolt in and even the footing plate below still matched the ridges in the floorpan.

I got probably 1/2" plate steel (maybe thicker) and sandwiched the connections together with Grade 8 bolts. Turned out great! I had it sandblasted and then I hit it with some paint to match a little better.

I did also pick up a front roll bar out of a 74' but the floor height is different. I'm still deciding if I want to modify that, install and then tie the two together with some horizontal bars at the top. Safer than nothing I figure!
Attached Images

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #41
Ski-me

And the final shot....
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #42
eighteenninetytwo

Is there a reason why people fit these things OVER the carpeting or is it just expediency? I was planning on doing it before I fitted floor covering is all.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #43
Ski-me

I didn't want to cut holes out of the carpet and figured if I was sandwiching the two together, it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

I believe factory wise, they did put it metal to metal though....

Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #44
special-K
Special Order

Nice! I'd like to find one

Tim

Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #45
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Agree; nice - although it doesn't look like it would take much to make one from scratch (or from a kit).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #46
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Agree; nice - although it doesn't look like it would take much to make one from scratch (or from a kit).

K
Yeah. I have nothing,so that's what I plan to do...a hole cage (unless I run across one first)

Tim

Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #47
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Quote:
Agree, but man around here, its like finding a unicorn
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #48
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
I hate the pulling old springs part. After that,I love doing suspension and axle work. I figure on cutting the shackle/spring eye bolts,and have all new hardware,shackles,and bushings,any time I pull original springs. Usually,it's the rear that gives me trouble. When I pulled the springs off my Suburban for the Jimmy it was a breeze,since I had installed them 8 years earlier and slathered the anti-seize. And,that had been new hardware
Can you get a sawzall blade in-between the shackles and hangers on the rear to get to the spring eye bolt? I've always taken them off with a socket on a breaker bar.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #49
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Quote:
Agree, but man around here, its like finding a unicorn
Ya so found my unicorn... Make some phone calls and you can find about anything.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #50
Irish1941

haha! That's awesome! What...8hrs later you have one. Cool