The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
PaRedneckRiders

Re: 84/86 k10 trail rig

Got my new brackets all painted up, but dont have any pics. I just sprayed them with primer and then brushed the paint on and imo i dont like the look of them because the paint was brushed, I'm just going to deal with it because at the moment i dont have a spray gun that works.
Also today i picked up my cab from a buddies house, I'm also getting some other parts from him soon. The cab was pretty much free, i traded him a bumper for the cab and gave him a stock half ton open diff axle for all the other parts.
The cab need a little attention on the driver floor both rockers and cab corners. but theres no holes rotted through the floor and i already have new rockers. The underside of the cab is surprisingly nice.

PaRedneckRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #27
PaRedneckRiders

So the other day my buddy gave me a free hood, it wasn't in the greatest shape had some dents scratches and some rust but the dents are where they could be pounded out and the rust is not that bad.
So i got a little bored and had some down time i figured why not take some measurement and see what a cowl hood would look like.
After taking some measurements i said what the heck its a free hood, ill give it a shot.
Well this is where im at right now with it.

I havent really decided what to do about the sides, or what to do to fill in the space in the back yet but ill think of something.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
PaRedneckRiders

Sorry guys, the build has been really slow lately. I had a lot of stuff planned to get done but started other things and didnt do any of it yet. Today i cut the front spring mount brackets off my frame, and tomorrow im probably going to get the rear shackles cut off, i also still have to take the 4x4 steering box off and might as well throw it in the scrap pile because i need a 2wd one to run crossover steering.
Also i got my dana 60 all torn down just didnt post any pictures of it, i really need to start ordering some parts for that but want to get some other stuff first.
I sorta set the hood on the back burner for now because i haven't done anything to it yet and its not real high on my list of things that need done.
And yes i know my frame is upside down right now ha.

Last edited by PaRedneckRiders; 04-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
PaRedneckRiders

So in the last few days i was able to get the rear brackets off.

Got the frame cleaned some then primed and painted.

Then i got my new brackets on from Diy4x.I also decided to ditch the stacked coolers as a frame stand because there were a few times that it almost fell.

Overall i really liked the new brackets i just had one problem with them, the center holes on the backing plates. The front spring mounts lined up perfect with the frame but the plate that u bolt the part to did not line up with the holes on the frame/bracket. I may go back and oblong the hole with a drill enough that i can get it bolted in because both sides are like this but i dont think it will be that big of a deal.
Overall i will be buying from them again and am very happy with the parts i received.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
PaRedneckRiders

Today i decided to look for the leaf springs i need, and i found a few different things but not really sure what springs i want to run.
I know what springs i need just dont know who i should get them from and what would be the best.
Option 1
A set of 52" rear springs for the front, and a set of 56" rears for the rear although im not sure if they would sell just the springs.
http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_77-87_4.html
Option 2
52" fronts and 56" rears part numbers 19470 and 19471 under rear springs for chevy/gmc
http://www.tuffcountry.com/products/leaf-springs.html Im not too sure about running 6 leafs front and rear though, i think that would end up being to stiff.

Option 3
Lift springs from skyjacker, Im pretty sure i would need the CR14S springs and the CR24S springs but again i think they might be too stiff.
What do you guys think i should do, i considered looking into custom springs through a company like alcan but not sure if i really even want to price them, i started out looking for used lift springs locally but sorta gave up because i have yet to find anything i was looking for.

Also need some opinions on what to do with the D60 front. I really want to put a locker in it but dont want to run a full locker. I plan on running a Detroit in the rear but still not sure what to do with the front, i was looking into the selectable lockers like the Eaton e-locker or even an ARB air-locker but not really sure if its worth dropping that much money on it. I really like the look of this (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-T_locker/) but can not find any info at all about it so im sorta lost on what to do with the front end at this point.
Just need some opinions from people that have run this stuff in the past, what do you think i should do and why.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
PaRedneckRiders

Got the dash, steering column, and glass out of the cab today. Really havent decided what i want to do with the cab yet, i know im going to use this cab but i am considering building a roll cage just not sure if i want to yet.

Also another little update, the dana 60 is bare now, and i think i have made the decision to not run a locker in the front, i would really like to but at this point in time cant really see dropping 800-1100 on a selectable front locker when the truck is not together yet. After the truck is all together and running and if i still think i need it then ill worry about it then.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
Nothinghead

I'll be watching this. very cool

I liked the stacked coolers/tree setup you had.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
PaRedneckRiders

The build has still been pretty slow lately but i guess i have enough going on for an update.
I got the glass in the cab for now the windshield is just sitting in it because its cracked and im going to get a new one.

I also threw the doors on for now.

Today i went and got some parts for the 14 bolt the only other thing i need is wheel studs because no one has them they all had to order them so now this is what it looks like.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
SunSoaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRedneckRiders View Post
i also still have to take the 4x4 steering box off and might as well throw it in the scrap pile because i need a 2wd one to run crossover steering.
Why a 2wd box for the crossover steering?
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #35
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Why a 2wd box for the crossover steering?
Well i planned on using the kit from ord http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60crossover.htm and they say u need a 2wd steering box. I believe you need one any time you do crossover, i read before why but dont remember the exact reason off the top of my head.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #36
obijuan

it pushes left to right and not front to back. you can use your good 4x4 box and swap just the 2wd sector shaft if youd like.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #37
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
you can use your good 4x4 box and swap just the 2wd sector shaft if youd like.
Well i thought that would work but its a little late haha i gave my buddy one and scraped the other one ill just buy a new 2wd box.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #38
PaRedneckRiders

Went and picked up the rest of my wheel studs today, i got 7 yesterday and they ordered another box of them and they came in today.

Part number 610-228 they are shorter of the two version which should work good with a steel wheel, the other stud number is 610-301 which could be used with thicker aluminum wheels.

I also picked up a new set of weaver gold pads while i was there and they even had axle flange seals on stock, surprising because no other place carries them and they didn't think they could get them.

Here it is all together, i only have pictures of this side but the other side looks the same.

I dont have it completely together, i just have it so i can get it under the truck and roll it around. I just have one spindle nut one for now because i will have to pull the shafts again to put in a locker.
Thats it for now the next thing on the list is new leaf springs and possibly this http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/FUSH.htm but it might be a few weeks until i order this.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
obijuan

diy4x offers the same thing without the ORD ego price.
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=114
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #40
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
diy4x offers the same thing without the ORD ego price.
http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?rout...product_id=114
I didnt even see those on DIY's site i would rather buy most of my parts from diy since thats where i got all this stuff. Thanks man.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
MTCK

Cool build, I like how it's progressing.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #42
PaRedneckRiders

Okay so i guess i can start back into this build again.
But plans have changed a good bit, ill sort of explain it as i go.
So a few months ago i bought an 82 GMC that i was going to just run around and not do anything too, but now its getting torn apart.

Anyway the plan now is the take this cab and put on my shortbed frame.
I will take the rear leaf springs from the longbed and put them on my disk brake 14b and still use it on the shortbed frame.
The white truck has a d44 front axle which i will use under my shortbed now.
So i believe before i was going to have 8-9" of lift and now im looking a 4-5".
For now i am going to run one of my 350s with a sm465 and np205 (same plan as before) But in the future i want to replace that with a BBC and probably a th400.
As for the Dana 60 and some of the other parts that were supposed to be going on this project they will now be going on the 82 longbed frame to begin another project, but it will be a while till i start doing anything with that project.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #43
PaRedneckRiders

Got the bed off and sold it to a friend of mine.

Also got the motor out and started tearing it apart. This was the 355 that was originally in my shortbed truck then i put in this truck, oil pressure was starting to get low and she just doesnt run as good as it used to but its deffinitly taken a beating. Probably going to rebuild it and use for another project but not sure since its just a two bolt main block.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Car'n'Guitars

Very cool build I look forward to seeing more of this build.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #45
PaRedneckRiders

Got a little more done today. Learned a few things also.

Axle, leaf springs, and rear driveshaft are out.
Anyway i thought that almost all if not all longbeds came from the factory with 56" long rear springs, guess not. Anyway i pulled the springs out without ever measuring them put new bushings in them and put them on the back of my shortbed frame and the shackle angle was completely horrible. I then decided to measure the springs and found out that they were only 52" long and not the 56" springs that i needed. In the end i guess it works out though because i can use these 52" springs in the front since i already have them instead of running 56" springs on all four corners like i was going too.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #46
chevyboy73

any updates? sweet truck!
chevyboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #47
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy73 View Post
any updates? sweet truck!
No its been pretty slow lately, I picked up some 63" springs from a friend out of the rear of a 88-98 chevy but i think im still just going to run 56s instead so now i have to get them. The trans and t-case is out of the white truck and ready to go onto the shortbed frame. The front axle should be off within a week or so depending on weather. Since i already have leaf springs for the front all i have to do is put new bushings in them and bolt them on. Ill try and start getting some stuff done thats picture worthy and post some up.