The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Notes

Yet another door latch question

'72 C10. Driver's side door. New latch. If I hold down on the door handle button & spin the wheel with the gear-like teeth (whatever you call it) the door shuts fine. If not, it will either begin to latch or won't latch at all. Suggestions? Or just lead me to other posts where this was discussed. Thanks
Notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Davidf

Re: Yet another door latch question

So, if you shut the door, it simply bounces back open? And the next time, it might shut fine? If so, my drivers door does/did that. upon refurbishment of my truck and complete disassembly of the door, I noticed that the spring on the latch remote control (i.e interior handle mechanism) was broken. My assumption is the broken spring is preventing the door latch from returning the proper position to allow latching (or said differently, the door latch thinks you are still holding the interior handle in the open position because the broken spring is not returning the lever (not the handle) to the neutral position).

Just a thought.

Last edited by Davidf; 05-06-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Notes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how to check that out, though.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
bigmac73

you will have to remove assembly from door and investigate.
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Notes

I gotta fix this! If I remove the inside handle assembly will anything else fall out? Also, if I find a broken spring, can I just replace it or do I replace the whole latch assembly? Thanks
Old 07-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
cj847

the window crank is called a window regulator and has nothing to do with the door latching.

The inside handle is the door control. It opens the door when you pull up on it. it locks the door if you push down on it. It should be in the center position to shut the door.

Not sure what you are referring to "the door handle button?"
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
cj847

here are the videos for assembly/disassembly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY3yXCjqkZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zay64xBOgD8
Old 07-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #8
Notes

Thanks for the offers to help. Most of the time when I shut the door it just bounces back open. No indication of latching. I replaced the door latch. If I depress the outside button on the handle & spin the geared wheel on the latch, it will eventually shut. It latches fine when I do that. That makes me think the striker plate is lined up okay. I'm wondering if I need to replace what is labeled as part #3 in the attached.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #9
Astro-Balls

#3 is the door control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #10
Notes

Thanks for the replies. More info: Passenger side works fine. Latch wheel (like a gear with cogs) turns by hand one click at a time. Meaning I have to push a bit and it moves, then catches, then I can move it another click. Latch wheel on the problem driver's side will not move unless I push the open button on the outside door handle. The original latch was the same. I replaced it with a new one. Is the new latch bad also, or is there something else going on inside the door?
Old 07-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #11
cj847

This is a little hard to explain. When the door does shut (sounds like you can get it to shut if you tinker with it), are you sure it is completely latching?

The "gear teeth thingy" actually catches by two teeth. The first one is when a door latches but you can still rattle it and the second is fully shut. If the door or latch is not adjusted properly when the door opens it leaves the gear "in between" positions and the net time you close it it just bangs and falls back open.

I know what is happening now, but I don't recall exactly how I fixed it as it has been about 30 years since I've been in that situation. Sorry i can't help. But, i don't think you need new parts, i think it is an adjustment.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
Notes

Thanks cj847. From what you said, it sounds like it's catching (sometimes) on just the 1st tooth. I've messed with the striker plate a bunch, but I must not have the touch. I still wonder why I can't move that gear wheel at all unless I depress the open button on the outside door handle. I can on the other side. I dunno. Maybe it's haunted. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:29 AM   #13
gmc684x4

Been a long time since i played with my door mechanism
Try disconnect interior handle from latch assembly with widow open try close the door see if it latches

I think there is a spring in item 3 to return to neutral position after releasing
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #14
Notes

Messed with the striker plate some more, and it works! I love this list. Always someone willing to help out. Thanks