The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #1026
Hart_Rod

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Here's another one:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ighlight=CS130
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #1027
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Rok,

I had a similar problem until I installed a resistor to simulate the idiot lite in the OEM car. Here's a link that discusses it:

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cs-130.shtml
I read thru that page but the pics did not come up. I might be a little sleepy or maybe because I could not see a pic but is the kit a stand alone mini harness with the diods already installed? I am willing to spend the money if it works becaue with a full charge on my truck I can get about 45miles before it takes a sh!t since everything is electric and draws down quick.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #1028
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I read thru that page but the pics did not come up. I might be a little sleepy or maybe because I could not see a pic but is the kit a stand alone mini harness with the diods already installed? I am willing to spend the money if it works becaue with a full charge on my truck I can get about 45miles before it takes a sh!t since everything is electric and draws down quick.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I'm not sure about that kit, I was just referencing it for the resistor discussion. I just installed a Radio Shack light that had the correct resistance in it. Here are a couple of more threads that give some good information about installing these alternators.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157126

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref14.html

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-01-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #1029
Rokcrln

Sweet now that makes sence and no I do not have a resister in my system yet! Another 55min until the part store opens I will pick one up and add a small write up to this after I get it hooked up. Thanks again, I knew it had to be me and the 140amp alts must just need this more than the 124amps do?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #1030
Rokcrln

Ok my resister is comming in tonight so I can get it all squared away. Then I will clean things up a bit for our local (first Tuesday of the month) car show were they shut down mainstreet and it is nothing but cars. Then next weekend is a big show in Woodland on Sunday and on Saturday night their is a big Pot Luck at the president of the car shows house and that was a blast last year.

So here is a pic from last years car show. Boy things have changed a bit in a year. I took second place in the under construction class.

And two months ago!

Kevin
LFD inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-02-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #1031
Rokcrln

I know it is not very interesting but all the same it is needed work. Here is the part needed to keep the new alt alive when you do not have an idiot light and want your alt to last longer then the last 3 I put in lasted. I just cut off the tape that came around the diod and slpiced it into my exciter lead. I use cripm and solder conectors then sealed it up in shrink tube before wraping it back in to its loom and covering it up. Now lets hope this all works!

Keep in mind if all you want to do is replace your old external alt with a new hi amp internal alt then this is the harness to buy because all you do is plug it into your old alt plug and your new alt and call it done.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #1032
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Are all of the LT1 belts ribbed on both sides? I don't remember them being that way but I could be wrong If not is there a special reason yours is?

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #1033
ShowSS12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 View Post
Are all of the LT1 belts ribbed on both sides? I don't remember them being that way but I could be wrong If not is there a special reason yours is?
X2 why is it that way?
ShowSS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #1034
Rokcrln

No just the Vett's were double ribbed. The power steering runs on the "back side" of the belt and I guess they needed a bit more traction. SO every pully, idler and tentioner are ribbed.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #1035
djw32

Kevin,
The truck looks great! Did you ever finish the exhaust? I thought you wanted to put duals on it...i thought. Also, you are running sanderson headers, right? If so, how is the connection between the collecter and the exhaust pipe? Did you do something custom?

David
djw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #1036
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw32 View Post
Kevin,
The truck looks great! Did you ever finish the exhaust? I thought you wanted to put duals on it...i thought. Also, you are running Sanderson headers, right? If so, how is the connection between the collector and the exhaust pipe? Did you do something custom?

David
No I still need to re-do the exhaust but it will stay single just get raised up into the cross member. The headers are Sanderson's and I have zero complaints! The connection is just what they supplied with the headers and that was just a short connection flange. I also still need to get the bed Line-x'd and new tires and then she is done for now! I think I will add power windows down the road.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #1037
djw32

Short connection flange? I didn't get a short connection flange...Did you use the stock exhaust setup? Better yet, is your exhaust stock from the short connection flange back?
djw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #1038
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw32 View Post
Short connection flange? I didn't get a short connection flange...Did you use the stock exhaust setup? Better yet, is your exhaust stock from the short connection flange back?
Keep in mind I had these headers proto typed over 9yrs ago direct from Sanderson's and I may have asked for the flanges. The rest of my exhaust is what I had done in the early stages of this build when I had the old carb'd crate 350 in their. Then when I swapped to the LT1 I just scabbed the exhaust back together and that is one reason for having it re-done when I get around to it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-04-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #1039
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Quote:
No just the Vett's were double ribbed. The power steering runs on the "back side" of the belt and I guess they needed a bit more traction. SO every pully, idler and tentioner are ribbed.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Thanks for the info

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #1040
Rokcrln

I was practicing with my Tig welder today on Aluminum and made some BLING for the rear view mirror I am going to make a matching one on Saturday out of SS and hang them from the rear view at a car show I am going to on Sunday up in Woodland at the Fair grounds.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-07-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #1041
watahyahknow

nice one , think there shouldnt be too hard to polish

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #1042
GREASEMONKEY72

nice dice

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #1043
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

wow, low buck turn out super nice.. great job on it.. really nice shop truck...
Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #1044
RCbowtie69

just wanted to say hey from N.C. like the way you did the body mods, like to say to,that your truck trun out great, keep on truck'in
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #1045
Rokcrln

Thanks guys this truck did turn out great from a driver stand point. It get looks every were I go but it is just not custom enough. So I have a new truck on the drawing board (and in the rear driveway) that will be our all out show truck for my company. I will be getting started on it in about a month and figure about 1000hrs for completion. The sad part for you guys is it is not a But will be a bad A$$ custom all the same that I am sure even the pure die hard Chevy guys will like.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 07-05-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #1046
abadsvt

Quote:
Thanks guys this truck did turn out great from a driver stand point. It get looks every were I go but it is just not custom enough. So I have a new truck on the drawing board (and in the rear driveway) that will be our all out show truck for my company. I will be getting started on it in about a month and figure about 1000hrs for completion. The sad part for you guys is it is not a But will be a bad A$$ custom all the same that I am sure even the pure die hard Chevy guys will like.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
So what kind of truck are you starting next? How extreme are you thinking about going? Got to give us details!!!

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #1047
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
So what kind of truck are you starting next? How extreme are you thinking about going? Got to give us details!!!

Josh

I will give a small amount of info

Chopped,
Channeled,
Sectioned,
Shortened,
IFS,
IRS,
500+HP
I am building this for an all out show vehicle that will have a bit of everything I do to help promote my company. I have a business plan that Will go full time in 5yrs so I am starting to work in that direction now. This way when I pull the plug on my 9-5 job I won't have any down time getting up and going with the new shop.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #1048
abadsvt

Quote:

Chopped,
Channeled,
Sectioned,
Shortened,
IFS,
IRS,
500+HP
I am building this for an all out show vehicle that will have a bit of everything I do to help promote my company. I have a business plan that Will go full time in 5yrs so I am starting to work in that direction now. This way when I pull the plug on my 9-5 job I won't have any down time getting up and going with the new shop.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Sounds like a sweet project! Business plans are always a good thing. Eventually i would like to do the same. Building all out custom classics does sound like a good way to make a living. Good luck!

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #1049
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:

Chopped,
Channeled,
Sectioned,
Shortened,
IFS,
IRS,
500+HP

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Sounds like a wild ride.

And good luck with the business plan...I'm sure it will be a success.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #1050
Rokcrln

Well almost 10,000 miles since the motor went in and I thought it was time to finish it up. So I made a quick gas filler cover so it can go to Line-X in the morning. I just took some tag board and made the shape I wanted and traced it out on 1018 AKDQ sheet steel. Then after some knee bending and a bit of shrinking on the top and bottom corners to fit just how I wanted it to and it was ready to screw in. I decided not to weld it just in the off chance it ever needs to come off. It should spray in like it was one piece. The Line-X will come up on the rail and stop just before the outer edge (right were the Blue tape is).

I also finally put in a few inner wheel bolts

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-23-2008 at 09:43 PM.