The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
egglestallion

3 on the tree conversion?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the group. I've had great luck with other forums in the past to help me figure some things out. I just bought a 1972 c-10 and I'm looking forward to making it mine... For starters, it was originally a 3 on the tree and one of the previous owners converted it to a floor shifter. It works ok, sometimes I have to wiggle it into 2nd, but the biggest issue is that the shift pattern is backwards.
r is right and down, 1st is right and up, 2nd is left and down, 3rd is left and up..
Not like any manual I have driven and sooner or later I'm going to end up throwing it into 1st instead of 3rd...
Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this matter?
Thanks for any assistance.
egglestallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
hamjet

Re: 3 on the tree conversion?

Hi, welcome to the forum. sounds like the linkage plates on the transmission are upside down, see if you can flip them and then readjust the linkage. that should take care of it...sounds like they have the wrong shift rod going to the wrong spot on the tranni also, just caught that....
Attached Images

Last edited by hamjet; 04-21-2014 at 09:22 AM.
hamjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
smoked68

yep what he said, done this a few times by accident myself. slide under and figure out which one ( have some one put in R and 1st whilst youre under) then switch them and adj. Put something in the lock out hole so youre in neutral on the shifter then adjust to the trans. Easy and good luck
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
smoked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
mr48chev

If you have it in neutral where does the spring move the handle? Towards the left or towards the right? I've never seen a shifter put in backwards but that doesn't mean it can't be done. The spring should push the handle to the right.

There should be a hole in the shift arms and housing to put a pin in to line up the arms so they are square with each other when you adjust the shifter. Then you do your adjustment by turning the piece on the shift rod so it slips smoothly into the correct shift arm.

The "universal" shifters like Hamjet showed are usually better at getting hung up and breaking gears than they are at shifting gears. I put one in my first car as a teenager and it hung up on me all the time.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
egglestallion

Thanks guys! Hamjet, the picture is very helpful. I haven't crawled under the truck yet to even know what to expect. Mr48chev, I don't think there is a spring because its sloppy and doesn't push to one side or the other when in neutral. As far as the actual shifting goes, the 2 "up" gears (currently 1st and 3rd) go in perfectly. The 2 "down" gears, particularly 2nd go in rough, and have even popped out of gear on occasion. I'm hoping that can be fixed with an adjustment when I try to correct the pattern.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
egglestallion

I just finished fixing the issues of a screwed up shift pattern. Thanks for your help fellas, it works pretty smooth now.

Next task... Brakes. Know of a good site to watch videos on righting crappy brakes? I've noticed my rear right tire skidding when I come to a stop.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglestallion View Post
I just finished fixing the issues of a screwed up shift pattern. Thanks for your help fellas, it works pretty smooth now.

Next task... Brakes. Know of a good site to watch videos on righting crappy brakes? I've noticed my rear right tire skidding when I come to a stop.

If one wheel is skidding, it could be a leaky wheel cylinder, which you should address ASAP!

When it comes to brakes on a newly purchased old ride, go through all 4 wheels and make it yours! I never trust other people's brake work when it comes to an old vehicle that someone else may have screwed up. I will usually do all 4 wheel cylinders and shoes/pads and bleed the crap out of it, flushing out all the old fluid. Do the master cylinder if there's any doubt as to whether it's good or not. At least you know it's your work and what's been done at that point.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote