The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #526
~Whitey~

Re: Project 69SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEINC10 View Post
Not sure if I missed it or not, but what did you use for the ac components?
I'm not putting AC on the truck, at least not until long after it's done and I have nothing better to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Come on man, spending money you don't have is the American way!
But seriously, I'm glad you're still at it. It doesn't sound like you're that far away(other than that part about blocking it out) It's going to be a KILLER ride when you get it finished. Can't wait to see it! Keep us posted
Oh I know, I owe money I don't have on my house, Camaro and Harley... But the 69 I am proud to say has been done with money earned and I'm going to keep it that way. I still hope to be driving it by next summer.

I did yank my dash and fix the circuit that I shorted out while changing bulbs with the lights on. (Don't do that!) I went ahead and put a ground wire from the gauge chassis to the dash. $50 oops. The ground on the temp gauge I did because it was pegged when running.

You can see the burnt strip on top ... barely.
Name:  cluster-burn.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  80.9 KB
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #527
~Whitey~

Just a few updates, saved up a few truck bucks, bought the header panel and rear sill which I needed from Mar-K and have sent all my bed parts off to be sand blasted, should have them back by the end of the week. Will be nice to get the bed on the truck, though the wood is going to have to wait a bit. I've also fitted the front fenders and hood (which I painted way back), but had to take it back apart to send the inners to the blaster.
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  45.3 KB

Also I've got the truck up and running real good, gas lines are ran to rear tank, brakes all done, engine is timed, did the alignment myself and it's close but I'll still take it in and have it done. I ran the exhaust part way back and stuck some Flowmaster HP2's on. It sounds really good and it's real nice to be able to pull the truck in and out of garage.

Right now I'm working on this original grill I bought from Scott Duckworth a while back, First I stripped it with Costic Soda. It had a good bend in it under the C in Chevrolet, but I've got it pretty straight now. There is also lots of pitting and several other small dents, dings in this grill, but I've been sanding, polishing, banging dents out of this thing for a week, just taking my time and not rushing it. FINALLY starting to make headway though I was in doubt for a while whether this was repairable... by me anyway.

The magic combination I've come up with is: 1 initial sanding with mini orbital using 240 grit until the pits are gone (or a dent I've banged out), then I've been wet sanding with 600, followed up by 1500, after that I hit it with a mothers ball several times though I am going to stop by Harbor Freight and buy their aluminum polishing kit to see how it does. After I get this all shiney and nice, I'll paint the letters and black lines then clear coat the whole thing.

You can see quite a bit of pitting, ugly even when shiny, no matter how much you polish it, still looks terrible. It's got to go.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  72.6 KB

So I went after it with the sander

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  69.4 KB

Looking pretty good, but there is still a few spots I think I can get out, I've got a long ways to go with this grill but it's coming along.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 10-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #528
sduckworth13

Wow! That grill is looking awesome.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #529
knomadd

My thoughts exactly!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #530
Low Elco

Wow! Nice work!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #531
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the polished grill!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #532
YJ_Aaron

Jimmy the truck is looking good man. Good to see pics of our old YJ in here when I read the whole thing. I'm shopping for 67-68 project truck to start. I'm sure I'll be dropping by for advice.
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote