The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
'68 C-20

Trailing Arms for a C20

Hello all,
I have owned 3 67-71 Chevy/GMC Pickups over the last 30 years or so. None of them were particularly noteworthy but I liked them. I really like inline 6’s. As I get closer to my “Golden” years I have been looking for restoration possibilities. (Not me, trucks, I’m well beyond restoration) I stumbled across this forum the other day and decided to enlist.

My search for my first project in many years ended when I found a ‘68 C20, 292 CI 4 Speed Muncie, with 53K original documented miles. I'm the third owner, have the name of the first owner. Great shape, good wood in bed. No body/frame rot, very little rust. No interior tears. Original 17 inch wheels/hubcaps. Close your eyes, you get the picture. It was a good day!

First owner well into his 'Golden' years had it up until a year ago and literally, sanded out the rust bubbles and painted them with a spray can every year. Then he would rub out the spray paint with rubbing compound and wax it. In the sun it sort of looks like a weird (508) blue camouflage pattern. Any case, I pulled the wheels checked the brakes, replaced the front Brake lines from the Master to the Wheel Cylinders and put it on the road. One of the rear trailing arms was struck, damaged and is rusted through at the u-bolts.

Any thoughts on where I could pick up a new (or used) one? They seem to be hard to find.

And, if you have driven a Muncie you know that it has a huge variable in gears, 1st gear is granny super low giving only 3 usable gears if you will never work it. 4th gear really is not high enough for highway unloaded driving. I am contemplating a UNDER/OVERDRIVE™ kit from Gear Vendors Inc. Anyone have any experience with them or their kits?

Thanks in advanced
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.

Last edited by '68 C-20; 06-09-2007 at 08:45 AM.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Americanrider

Re: Trailing Arms for a C20

To our little world.

You trailing arm can be found under any 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, they are the same. Take a look in the local wrecking yards. They sometimes come up on the parts board here but mostly as pairs and shipping is expensive unless you find some close to you. As far as your tranny, hey it's a truck! not a sports car. Final tranny ratio is always 1:1 unless you go with a newer 5 speed or 4sp auto. Hit the search feature and you will find info here on Gear Vendors and overdrives.

Most likely you have a Eaton rear which only came in 4:10 & 4:56. Upgrading to a newer rear like a 14B FF with higher gears would help the top end. It just depends on your tire size and how fast you want to go. A rear end swap would be chaeper than a OD unit.

Now lets see some pics of you baby

Last edited by Americanrider; 06-08-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi!
You might wanna check out these guys for trailing arms http://www.musclemotorsports.com . Or if you want the stock look, subscribe (click the Support the Board link in my sig) and post a WTB on the parts board.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 06-08-2007 at 12:55 AM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
GREASEMONKEY72

to the board

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
'68 C-20

Hey Thanks for the suggestions, I will follow up, Have a couple of leads I am working on now, should not take too much to put it together.

As for the Tranny, I know it's a truck. It is far from the modified car chassis that were built in the 80's and called trucks, It is just that I will never haul with it, or in it anywhere near its hauling capacity. It has enough power to handle an overdrive and cruise nicely down the highway. I tend to modify the final drives on my Bikes as well. Full size Harley’s are built to handle 425 lbs of payload, since I run a solo seat and never haul a passenger, It does not take much to haul my 180 pound carcass around. I modify the final drive to lower RPM’s increase mileage and top end and actually be able to use all 5 gears.

I prefer not to deviate too far from stock, of course I could just hang onto the original rear-end and let it go with it if I sell it.

Anyway, I will take some photos and post them this weekend.

Thanks 'gain for the reply's

-Quinn
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote