The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
'67 Rookie

Rare '67 ?

Hi, I'm a new Chevy owner and could use some guidance. We have a '67 C10 4WD short bed, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. The guy helping me with body work says it's a rare truck because it has leaf springs in the rear instead of the coil springs. Apparently he hasn't seen this combination of truck before. He says its worth a lot of money (not my reason for owning it by the way) if it's done right. I've been told the gearing was special ordered with a final ratio close to or over 5.0! I also thought the 4WD made it a K10, but the id plate in the glovebox calls it a C10. Needless to say as a new Chevy owner and new to restoration I could use some suggestions on how to proceed. So far the exterior is shaping up nicely, interior as well. I would not call it restoration grade, but it looks great. Almost ready for paint. Engine compartment, drivetrain, undercarriage, have had no work done (except POR on frame). Some questions I would ask a seasoned Chevy guy would be: Should I spend a lot of money to fully restore this truck, or make it look nice and drive it with pride? Should I Convert to V8 with newer tranny? Should I paint it a cool color or paint it the original pale yellow? Is this combination really that rare, and is it really worth a lot of money? I don't want to think of it as an investment, but don't want to ruin a truck that is or could be special. I'll take any and all feedback. Thanks, Rick
'67 Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Rare '67 ?

Do your truck the way you want. Don't take someone else's suggestions and run with them. I know you're getting ideas, but if you're happy with the I-6 and the TOTT leave it. If you desire a V-8 with an auto... then go for it.

I don't think any 4x4's in the 67-72 years had coil spring rear ends... but I could be wrong. If your SPID shows a "C" 10 then someone converted it to a "K" 10. Posy a picture of the SPID on the glovebox door.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67 Rookie View Post
Hi, I'm a new Chevy owner and could use some guidance. We have a '67 C10 4WD short bed, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. The guy helping me with body work says it's a rare truck because it has leaf springs in the rear instead of the coil springs. Apparently he hasn't seen this combination of truck before. He says its worth a lot of money (not my reason for owning it by the way) if it's done right. I've been told the gearing was special ordered with a final ratio close to or over 5.0! I also thought the 4WD made it a K10, but the id plate in the glovebox calls it a C10. Needless to say as a new Chevy owner and new to restoration I could use some suggestions on how to proceed. So far the exterior is shaping up nicely, interior as well. I would not call it restoration grade, but it looks great. Almost ready for paint. Engine compartment, drivetrain, undercarriage, have had no work done (except POR on frame). Some questions I would ask a seasoned Chevy guy would be: Should I spend a lot of money to fully restore this truck, or make it look nice and drive it with pride? Should I Convert to V8 with newer tranny? Should I paint it a cool color or paint it the original pale yellow? Is this combination really that rare, and is it really worth a lot of money? I don't want to think of it as an investment, but don't want to ruin a truck that is or could be special. I'll take any and all feedback. Thanks, Rick

With over 200,000 made that model year no variant could be called 'rare'. Build what you want. If you do quality work nothing you do will lower the value of your truck.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

A 67 4x4 shortbed would be somewhat rare. Any shortbed 4x4 would be worth some decent money if "done right". I would guess the gearing to be 3:73 or possibly 4:11 were available. All 4x4 trucks were leaf springs front and rear.
If you could post a pic of the options inside the glovebox door we can break it down for you.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Nitis

to my best knowledge they were called C10s even until 1970 at least where the K came from is the vin number if there was a K in the begining of the Vin it was a factory 4x4 so then they started calling them K10s Even having C10 fender badges

Nope never seen a coil spring 4x4 but 2wd came both ways so thats probably where this guys confusion is stemmed
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
Blue GMC

Not taking 4x4 into consideration. Chevys usually had the coil rears and GMC had leafs atleast on 2 wheel drive trucks this could be different with 4x4 though
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I've never seen a 4X4 with coils in the rear,even converted. Most who convert,want to have off road capability and the leafs are much better for that.I would really be surprised if it were a factory 4X4 if it has a C code on the SPID. Keep in mind that you need to check the SPID against the VIN to make sure the GB door is original.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #8
72kool

I am by no means an expert on this and hopefully some of the other members will help here. But it is not so much a rare but a very nice desirable truck. Being a shortbed 4x4 is what makes it that way. The c10 part of it is either 1 of two options. It was converted to 4x4 or it could be factory. That doesn't help much but they did not call them k10 in till after '70. The inline 6 and 3ott was a common setup. Any rarity it would have will be in the smaller options listed on the spid. But what it comes down to is, how would you like the truck?? Do it that way. These are very popular right now and not much you could do to lower the value. Sounds like you have a really nice truck. Enjoy the heck out of it
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

The guy doing your body work doesn't know what he's talking about. That's why I didn't red any further than his coil spring comment. Was there a bar stool stuck to his butt? Or, is he just a person who professes his ignorance? You're in the right place now if you need accurate info. All 4wds had leaf springs front and rear.

EDIT: Ok, I read more. No 1/2t trucks came with such a low gearing and if it had any optional ratio it would be listed on the SPID. But, since it appears to be a C/10 on a 4wd frame that will not be the correct SPID...unless the glovebox door was retained. I have to wonder if the 4wd frame is a '67 frame or even a 67-72 at all. Do the rear shocks stagger forward and rearward or do they both face forward? I would need to see the front of the frame to know more. Are the radiator core support mounts riveted to the frame? If it's a '73+ frame the core support would have been moved back and mounts relocated or new holes drilled with some sort of bushings rigged up inward over the frame.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-22-2015 at 06:35 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
Chevymaster461

Look up the vin an model number because it might be a 2wd converted cause the c's are usually 2wd an there's a lot of them that's been converted a quick easy way is see if the frame vin matches the cab vin if it doesn't it indicates frame swap ... Vins located on driver side engine compartment frame rail ... Hope this could be helpful
Chevymaster461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
'67 Rookie

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback. I will check the VIN numbers and the info in the glovebox to see if there are discrepancies. I am excited to hear everyone say something along the lines of "do what you want with it", that will make it a lot more fun! I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to. Thanks everyone for the guidance!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
Vero67

2wd Vin started with a c, 4wd Vin started with a k. My 67 longed starts with a k. 67 Factory 4wd are rare. Build it how you want.
Vero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Theres been a lot if these "rare truck" threads lately. Aside from the very few 100% un touched low mile immaculate factory condition trucks that come up once in a while, these trucks arnt rare. Thats my .02. Do what you like with it and most importantly drive the heck out of it and enjoy it. I prefer factory style restorations but to each his own and i can appreciate ALMOST all tastes.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
'67 Rookie

Ok, we found the glove box, picture attached. So it is in fact a K model. Now a technical question: The transmission slips out of third gear, and the trans guy says the "fork" that moves from one gear to the other is worn out. See picture below. Does anyone know where we can find one of these? Can we make one, and if so what material would we use?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
WarMonger

I hope your tranny guy is smarter than your body guy?
1970 C20
-_--_--_- ______
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |_(0)|__|_(0)]
1972 K5
WarMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #16
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I'm going to go against the grain, and no offense to those above, but apparently they haven't paid attention to model specific production numbers.

According to your spid your truck is a KS10734, which is a FACTORY 4x4 SHORT BED FLEET SIDE. These trucks are ABSOLUTELY RARE. There was ONLY 1,046 shortbed fleet sides built and 1,229 short bed step sides built.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=104816

Now, does this make your truck valuable... kinda. I'd research what 1967 4x4's shortbeds are selling for (most will likely be conversions or cut down long beds) and add a few grand for being a factory truck. So, no, you're not sitting on any kind of gold mine, but it is more valuable than your typical 4x4 (again, most are either longbeds, or cut down short beds, or converted short beds).

Personally, I'd like to see this one done back original.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 06-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Being an actually '67 K10 SWB changes everything. You have a low production factory vehicle. By overall industry standards your truck is rare.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
67 chevelle

Looks like the consensus is to do a stock restore ,,, I agree ,, that spid changes everything ,, I was guessing you had a cut and paste truck , like so many are , but yours is original , and a great model to have original
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
44th Miss Inf

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67 Rookie View Post
Ok, we found the glove box, picture attached. So it is in fact a K model. Now a technical question: The transmission slips out of third gear, and the trans guy says the "fork" that moves from one gear to the other is worn out. See picture below. Does anyone know where we can find one of these? Can we make one, and if so what material would we use?
Can you post a picture of the outside of the trans side plate? I have a few Chevy 3 speeds, and if I have the part, will send it to you to get the truck back going.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Numbers don't lie. So when you have proof like that it makes it all the better. Lots of cats come and go with what the say are "rare" trucks that usually end up being a cobbled up hot mess.

Nice find... absolutely there are not many of those trucks around.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
deejaaa1

nice find. any pics of the body?
Posted via Mobile Device
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #22
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Glad someone else chimed in with production numbers, and that you found the SPID. I happen to have on myself, and might be able to shed some light if you have some questions. When I got mine, it had several items not correct, such as a step side bed, 68 fenders etc... but she's going back to her roots.. more or less. Unfortunately, my cab is pretty bad off, so i may just swap it with another one. (keeping the VIN tag of course)

Best of luck and hope you build it and make it your own!
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #23
leddzepp

I'd still build it the way I wanted, regardless of a sticker.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #24
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
This... 100%.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #25
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Rare '67 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
i'll catch some flack for this but i totally agree. save everything that is original to the truck in case you ever decide to go "stock" again. unless you cut/weld on it it can be put back to original. IF it was a CST loaded with factory options i would say build it stock but it is a bare bones truck so build it how you want.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote