The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2021, 11:01 PM   #1
External

New external regulator

I need some help. I'm having fits.
I had a whine in my truck after installing a new alternator. It is externaly regulated.
Wired it up just like the diagram. See pictures.
I isolated the whine to my voltage regulator.
Ok, bought new one. And watched it closely as I cranked up the truck.
It started to smoke. Now I'm guessing it will burn up and begin to whine just like the old one did.
What have I done??!!
The alternator i got is a powermaster 60 amp.
Do I need a higher amp regulator?
Is it that simple?

Now if I unhook the white/blue pigtail from the alternator the regulator stops smoking. I think it also stops working. But I don't know. I ran the truck for a few days and my battery went dead. Thats why I think its not working.
Does anyone have any ideas? See pictures for reference.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: New external regulator

Well I thought you would have some replies by now but not so far so I will
put in my 2 cents.

The whine you are hearing is probably the points inside the regulator. They are closing and opening so fast that it makes a whining noise. I thought at first that you had a digital regulator but it looks like it may be a points type.

You may have the wires reversed in the alternator plug. The no. 1 or F wire in the regulator goes to the F terminal in the alternator. This is usually a blue wire in the harness. The no. 2 wire from the regulator goes to the R terminal in the alternator, usually white, The no.3 three wire from the regulator usually 12 gauge Red, goes to the main terminal in the harness, a soldered junction.
The no 4 terminal goes back inside the cab to the key switch this is usually a 16 gauge brown wire. It changes to a 10 ohm resistor wire inside the firewall terminal which then goes to the key switch to the accessory terminal.

One important thing to be sure of is to ground the voltage regulator and the alternator I think I see the ground wires in your pictures.

If your wiring all checks out then I would take the alternator back and get it checked.
You will probably get advice to convert to an internally regulated alternator which many here on the forum have done, and it is a good idea for those that can't get the external ones to work.

There is nothing wrong wit the external regulators for the original trucks but when we add accessories like electric fans and stereos then they are underpowered. There are other reasons to go to the internal regulated alternators as well. But for the older stock vehicles the external regulators work well.

In my FAQS thread at the top of this forum there are several threads on electrical problems and doing the conversion. I would refer you to those.

If you have any questions please post back.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Here fixed the first pic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
...You may have the wires reversed in the alternator plug. The no. 1 or F wire in the regulator goes to the F terminal in the alternator. This is usually a blue wire in the harness. The no. 2 wire from the regulator goes to the R terminal in the alternator, usually white, The no.3 three wire from the regulator usually 12 gauge Red, goes to the main terminal in the harness, a soldered junction...
Attached Images

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 04-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
External

Hello gents, thank you for your reply.
I really think the wires are plugged into the right places. See picture.

The regulator is grounded to the rad support, the alternator is grounded to the block.
I could pull the wires out of the pigtail on the alternator and switch them, I'm going to take it to a local alternator shop. It has to be something super simple.
I will let you know what they say.

And yes sir you are right. I am this close to an internally regulated alternator.
I read your write up. Very thankful for that.
It is just, dangit. Its right there, whatever the answer is.
When its straightened out, ill let you both know.

Thank you again!!
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
External

Ok. Fixed.
The new Powermaster 7102 alternator has a rotor in it that does not work with the points style regulator. I had to get the other kind. The circuit board type. Sold me one for $18.
My local alternator shop guy, which I didn't knew existed, tried to educate me on this. He says he sees it all the time. Companies like Powermaster and Tuff stuff regularly put these new style rotors in their externaly regulated alternators. He says that those rotors are made for internally regulated alternators. And will always burn up the points style regulators.

I'm just happy the wiring harness was actually built correctly.
Very happy to have met a guy that is like us. He had six of these trucks in his life.

On another note, he said that Powermaster isn't what it isn't what it is supposed to be. Showed me a pile of the gear reducing alternators on the floor in his to be rebuilt pile. Gave me his best wishes it lasts for me. I also just installed a new Powermaster starter...

Thank you both again for your help. Now, on to the exhaust!!
Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

That's good info. I'd like to know what the difference is.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote