The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
Chevy nutcase

GMC and Chevrolet interchangeability

In my search for a c10 project I've always searched Chevrolet first over their GMC counterparts. My question is, excluding the emblems and badging of course are body parts interchangeable between a Chevy and GMC of the same year? If not, are GMC parts harder and more expensive to get?
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: GMC and Chevrolet interchangeability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
In my search for a c10 project I've always searched Chevrolet first over their GMC counterparts. My question is, excluding the emblems and badging of course are body parts interchangeable between a Chevy and GMC of the same year? If not, are GMC parts harder and more expensive to get?
Front fenders on GMCs are not interchangable with 69 - 72 but will fit 67-68 Chevy trucks
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Other than 4 headlights vs 2, keeping the MY '68 fender shape thru to '72, obvious grille differences, and badging, they are pretty much the same underneath.
In the 67-72 era, these trucks were all built on the same line, with every 6th or 8th unit becoming a GMC.
GMC trucks were sold at Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac dealerships, and usually had a higher price on the window sticker.
This gave rise to the joke, that the initials stood for ''Government Model Chevrolet.'' Right after the public expose that the US Gov't was paying $570 for a Mil-Spec toilet seat, when the same piece from the hardware store cost $5.70. Rumors that GMC assemblers were screened to have high school diplomas, while Chevy assemblers were hired if they could both draw breath and an X on their contract form, were patently untrue. It was the same people, on the same production lines, illiterate or not.
GMC had been making their own engines, and also used Pontiac motors, until this vintage series. The GMC big V6s were phased out, and Chevy engines installed.
Internal components are identical. Badging and trim details differ. GMC had some exterior colors the Chevy line did not.
Some GMC body parts -- tailgate, grilles, badges -- may be more expensive because they are more rare than the same Chevy parts.

I have one of each and love them both.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-15-2021 at 06:34 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Other than 4 headlights vs 2, keeping the MY '68 fender shape thru to '72, obvious grille differences, and badging, they are pretty much the same underneath.
In the 67-72 era, these trucks were all built on the same line, with every 6th or 8th unit becoming a GMC.
GMC trucks were sold at Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac dealerships, and usually had a higher price on the window sticker.
This gave rise to the joke, that the initials stood for ''Government Model Chevrolet.'' Right after the public expose that the US Gov't was paying $570 for a Mil-Spec toilet seat, when the same piece from the hardware store cost $5.70. Rumors that GMC assemblers were screened to have high school diplomas, while Chevy assemblers were hired if they could both draw breath and an X on their contract form, were patently untrue. It was the same people, on the same production lines, illiterate or not.
GMC had been making their own engines, and also used Pontiac motors, until this vintage series. The GMC big V6s were phased out, and Chevy engines installed.
Internal components are identical. Badging and trim details differ. GMC had some exterior colors the Chevy line did not.
Some GMC body parts -- tailgate, grilles, badges -- may be more expensive because they are more rare than the same Chevy parts.

I have one of each and love them both.

Thank you for pointing out what I was hoping for. I figured they were the same body parts. I do know though the first year 67 must have had some differences than later years as searching parts on lmc always has a 67 selection and then 68-72. Reason I asked is a gentleman here sent me pics of his GMC for sale and I like knowing a GMC isn't any harder to source parts for. I do like the double headlight look tbh
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

MY 1967 fenders are the same, except for badge hole placement.

'67 GMC grilles are different from the later ones. No GMC badge on hood. Letters are prominent in center of grille. Grille not chromed, but painted body color.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-15-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Off topic but in line with the alleged government spending on "toilet seats". The item in question was a stainless steel spatter shield meant to be placed around the toilets in submarines. Given that the submarine design in question was a run of ~100 units, and given the non-recurring engineering costs, plus them having to be made from the right kind of stainless, which a complete beeyotch to stamp, it's no surprise at the cost. Proxmire made a bad pick on that one, and it made him famous. There is plenty of government waste, for certain. But if the urine was allowed to seep into the structure, it would have threatened the seaworthiness of said submarines...which cost way more than that "toilet seat", which wasn't even a toilet seat!.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
lux

67- 72 GMCs were also more likely to have leaf springs in the rear.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:59 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Off topic but in line with the alleged government spending on "toilet seats". The item in question was a stainless steel spatter shield meant to be placed around the toilets in submarines. Given that the submarine design in question was a run of ~100 units, and given the non-recurring engineering costs, plus them having to be made from the right kind of stainless, which a complete beeyotch to stamp, it's no surprise at the cost. Proxmire made a bad pick on that one, and it made him famous. There is plenty of government waste, for certain. But if the urine was allowed to seep into the structure, it would have threatened the seaworthiness of said submarines...which cost way more than that "toilet seat", which wasn't even a toilet seat!.
And on the old U-Boats they used to stuff sausages and baguettes in the Enlisted head until half way out... Thanks for the actual history, Steve. I was about 16 when I heard that story. I never knew the details. The numbers I used were arbitrary, perhaps allegorical. Having worked on aircraft in the military, I saw some expensive stuff.