The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
jwinspear86

transmission problem with my diesel k5 blazer

I have a 82 chevy k5 blazer with a 6.2 diesel with a 700r4 trans.. what would cause the 700R4 trans not to go in R,D,3,2,1 The fluid is red with no burnt smell any ideas??? Im trying to find out what is a good trans to put with a 6.2 diesel, i was thinking about putting a rebuilt heavy duty 700r4 trans in it but not to sure... ?? any ideas
jwinspear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
jltait

Re: transmission problem with my diesel k5 blazer

A lot of things could cause this but would typically leave some functional range and be accompanied by burnt fluid...Almost sounds like the forward sprag clutch except you do not have reverse either..Therefore I would tend to lean toward the torque converter...Stator roller clutch inside it not holding..This could be verified with a pressure test of the transmission following a good manual. Good pressure='s bad converter....bad pressure='s something else.
A good 700r4 should work good behind a 6.2 but only if it is not used to tow heavy and has the correct diesel boost valves etc. If you are towing heavy stay away from the 700r4, unless you have a lot of money to beef it up.
JLT
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
4pilgrim4

Re: transmission problem with my diesel k5 blazer

Been there, done that several times with my 83 diesel Jimmy.

First, pull the pan. If you see lots of metal, e.g., pieces of Torrington bearings, shavings and the like, your 700r4 is likely toast, but it still might go a ways. Likely the filter will plugged with the debris, so if you stick a new filter in and it goes, you might be surprised how far it will go!

Several years ago I had mine go out several hundred miles north of Los Angeles. With a new filter and fluid change I successfully got to a recommended shop in Pomona pulling a camper. This place dealt mostly in off-road, rock climber type vehicles. Once apart, the clutches were like new, but all the hard parts including the case were toast. The owner figured it was either the fourth gear planetary or a loose vane in the torque convertor that went first.

Anyway he built up a beefier unit with a special valve body for the use I put it to and it has been just fine.

If I had been home I would have opted for a NV4500, but that would have been a stretch on a trip.
4pilgrim4 is offline   Reply With Quote