The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #101
CC69Rat

Re: need primer advice

Let's think about it another way. Think about the surface of an orange. Have you ever seen a shiney orange ?

There are high spots and low spots... just like the surface of your truck. The idea behind a good, straight and Shiney paint job is one thing. If it's not flat.. it will not shine very well. A rough surface just doesn't shine like it's wet.. (like you would want your car paint to look)

So, you asked about how to know when to stop sanding. When the high spots become level with the low spots. If the highs are high.. and you're sanding flat that's what will show up back when you sand through your primer.

That's why you want to use the guide coat. Guide coat will fill the low spots so as you sand you'll begin to see the lows.. then your high spots either blow through to the epoxy or even metal worst case.

The next step is sealer. Once the truck is flat and you have all the lows UP and the highs DOWN.. regardless of what color it is your sealer makes everything the same uniform color.

The paint job will only look as good as what's underneath it.

Take your time.
Chad

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #102
1968aj

thought I would update this. I stated with epoxy primer then I used high buid primer with a lot of sanding between. I have waited a long timedoing other projects but now I am back on this one.truck got all dirty sitting outside so I sanded it again and sprayed It with some more high build. I did practice paint job on another truck with single stage so now I am ready to paint this one . still not sure what kind of paint I will use but I am thinking single stage.
Attached Images

1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #103
1968aj

here is a update. put truck back together. go it running and driving after 2 years in my driveway. I think its ready for a final sanding then paint.THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE POINTERS.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #104
1968aj

thought I would update this. I have decided to paint it my self again. I did paint the cab of another truck gold. I used single stage paint. this one will be 2 stage because the single makes it too hard for a rookie to fix any mistakes. I have sanded truck then used epoxy primer. sanded it and used high build primer. sanded again and used high build again. now as soon as I figure out which color I will start again. looking for a light blue non metallic.i will add pictures of before and now and the gold I painted.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #105
CC69Rat

I usually use either a green scotch brite pad or 220 paper to knock the epoxy down right before the first coat of 2k primer. (High build) There's not really any need to sand the epoxy primer before 2k primer as long as it doesn't pass the 7 day window.

* Bare metal - 80 grit scratches.
*Fix any metal issues (dolly or filler, however you choose) make sure all areas wherr youve pit filler are sanded to at minimum of 80 grit
* Epoxy prime, 2 coats. I use Southern Polyurethanes and I'm very happy with it
* knock the epoxy down with scotch brite or 220 once it dries
* 2k primer - first coat
* guide coat
* block with 320
* fix any metal issues, low or high spots
* 2k primer - second coat
* guide coat
* block again with 500 if you're doing single stage, or solid color base / clear

* for metallics - one more coat of 2k primer and block again with 600. Metallics will lay into the sand scratches at about 400-500. I usually go to 600.

Base and clear to your liking.

I personally like single stage but I like blocking too,.. so.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #106
ratfreak8871

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74baggedbug View Post
It's not hard to do just gotta take your time to prep and tape it all up .. If your using a 2k primer I'd buy a harbor freight gun
This caught my interest. I'd like to hear why, I think I know the answer, just need to hear it from someone else.
ratfreak8871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #107
stevenfromtexas

good morning brother. i appreciate your post!!! thank you for all of your questions and thanks to the veteran paint guys that helped "aj" along. this has been a VERY good read!!!

i live in waco. not too sure our paths will cross, but maybe someday wel will meet at a car show haha
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #108
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas View Post
good morning brother. i appreciate your post!!! thank you for all of your questions and thanks to the veteran paint guys that helped "aj" along. this has been a VERY good read!!!

i live in waco. not too sure our paths will cross, but maybe someday wel will meet at a car show haha
I drive all over texas looking for trucks. I go to the swap meet up near temple so you never know.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #109
stevenfromtexas

when and where is the temple swap meet???
if i can ever figure out how to post pictures on the forum i'll start a build thread. haven't figured it out yet though.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #110
1968aj

ok I have picked out a color. it is a 1968 color . 506 MEDIUM BLUE. it is the color of the truck in the thread on PROJECT UNDERHAULING THREAD. WHERE AND WHAT BRAND OF PAINT SHOULD I GET?????. THE LOCAL AUTO PARTS MIXES PAINT SO I MAY GO TO THEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #111
stevenfromtexas

any luck on paint? I'm real curious to see yours. thats the same code i have
Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #112
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas View Post
any luck on paint? I'm real curious to see yours. thats the same code i have
not yet. my part time job has been full time lately and haven't had time. I will post pictures once I get back after it again.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #113
stevenfromtexas

hey there,

curious of how your painting adventure is going. i re-read all of you post and the help that was sent your way. as of your last post you and i are in the same spot. I'm fixing to scuff and re-epoxy and high build next week and shoot my 506 medium blue. hope the weather holds off for a little bit. i did the inside of my cab a few months ago. i was very pleased how it turned out (total rookie!!!)
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #114
1968aj

as far as this truck goes I sold it still in primer. somebody made me an offer I could not refuse. I have another one that I will soon be priming and hopefully painting myself. I learned a lot through this thread and gained the confidence to try it myself thanks to members of this forum.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #115
stevenfromtexas

ok...

well, when you get around to your painting on your new one please don't hesitate to post your progress. it sure helps out the rookie like me. thank you again for your help although you had no idea you helped me along my priming process. ill update mine as well,,,,, like i said, if the rain will chill out for a bit. hahaha took off a few shifts and now I'm thinking its gonna be for null if it keeps on like this