The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
63inoz

New guy in Melbourne Australia

New guy at posting here, new guy at owning a pickup, not so new at life ( 60ish ) and not so new at owning chevys.
I'm an electronics engineer working in live music for 40 odd years.
Building cars has been the thing that totally distracts me from that life and I prefer to build it than buy it, mechanical or electronic.
I've had a lot of GM cars, but mostly Holdens ( Aussie GMs ) but with small block chevys, a Jag with 350 chev, and currently a 71 Camaro 350.
Been to the US several times, hardly ever see classic cars while there, but cant help notice the pickups everywhere. Seems to me a lot of pickup guys are just like hotrodders, making their truck individual to them in looks and/or function. I was hooked.
I recently bought my 63 long fleet from Los Angeles. I have a buddy there who checked it all over for me.
Its ship is about to unload here, so very soon all the pictures I have will become a real lump of metal.
Part of my decision to do this was based on what I have seen on this forum for 6 months or more. These trucks, and owners, are not a common thing around here, so the knowledge base here, experience and willingness to share info is going to be important for me to make this thing happen.
I hope I can learn fast and help pass on some of the knowledge I gain.
I'll begin a build thread shortly, mainly to help me document the journey.
I'd be happy if anybody has a read, picks on me for doing stupid stuff, throws in a bit of advice, or just gets some entertainment from it like I have been doing for a while.
Cheers for now
Tony
Attached Images

63inoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: New guy in Melbourne Australia

Welcome to the forum!
there is a pretty large international contingent here, some from down under, some from the U.K, Germany France, etc...and of course there are quite a few us Canucks as well.
Looks you have a '63 there with a fair amount of patina on it.
The are a lot of great things about these older GM trucks that draw people in including their historical reliability...probably due to their simplicity.
On top of that they are a lot easier to restore than a car and much more forgiving.
That said, you can pretty much put any engine or drivetrain you find from anything in these vehicles and they will fit...which means you have a lot of options and with options comes an opportunity to save money...lol, if you need to.
GM had a great following with these vehicles and a lot of people had (have?) some very fond memories of great days and projects that these things were a part of.
Regardless...welcome to the forum and we will all be interested in watching on how your project progresses!
all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
63inoz

Re: New guy in Melbourne Australia

Thanks Coley,
yeah the simplicity of a distributor with points and carburettors are all part of the attraction. And I'm looking forward to the "forgiving" nature after nearly 10 years on my Camaro. Definitely into the survivor look.
cheers
Tony
Old 06-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
geezer#99

Welcome!!
You gonna keep it left hand tiller??
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
63inoz

Thanks Geezer,
I dont have to, but I would like to switch it over, it wouldnt be too hard, but I'm looking into the legal side of me doing it. Sure wont be doubling the budget so someone else can do it for me.
Theres always plenty of opinions on either side of the fence.
I've driven lefties here and dont really feel safe and a few guys I know who have lefties admit that they dont feel that great about it either. Might have to HTFU.
cheers
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
geezer#99

I hear ya!!
I've driven left tiller in NZ in a buddies 67 Chevelle.
It's a real thrill overtaking something big on a narrow road.
It felt strange to me even though I'd only been driving right tiller for a month.
We've been to Melbourne. Were there for xmas in '99. Nice place!!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
63inoz

Yep nice place. Born here, still here. Travelled all over the place but love getting back here. Just gotta watch out for the killer wildlife.
How was xmas here for you. A lot of northerners, especially if they're used to a white xmas, dont quite get the xmas barbeque pool/beach party in 40c heat. I'd like to go the other way and actually have a white xmas for a change. Got family in the UK so it could happen yet.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
geezer#99

It was strange for us!
Decorated xmas trees, some xmas lights, people wearing santa hats and singing xmas carols!
And no snow!!
Sister lived on Dandenong Road at that time. Went for xmas dinner with some friend's of hers and then down to Brighton Beach and sat in the surf on our chairs and drank beer.
We were only in Melbourne a few days then went to Adelaide and to Sidney for the new years fireworks.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
CountofMonteCarlo84

Welcome! Cool looking truck to start with. I sure wish we had Holden's here. How hard would it be for you to grab an LsX from a Holden and plop it into the truck? That would be my choice. I would love to hear some of your stories about working in live music if you get the chance.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:45 AM   #10
63inoz

Hey Geezer,
sounds like you have a few fond memories from your travels.
I say I'd like to see a white xmas, but not sure how I would cope if we were snowed in and not able to get out to visit family and friends over xmas new year. And you got to see how the weather here encourages a beer on the beach. I reckon its great to get out and travel and see how the other half live.
We live in Bentleigh, next to Brighton. Theres a Brighton dog beach there so we get over there a bit with the big feller. And I often take Dandenong Rd into the city where I work, its a very busy commuter route. So, small world huh.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 AM   #11
63inoz

Thanks Count,
you actually have Holdens there, Commodores and Monaros ( 2 door ) were made here for export and badged as Pontiacs for a few years around 2010. My son hired one in LA a few years ago and thought it was long way to go to hire an Aussie car. So if you see a 2010 Pontiac GTO around your way, its a Holden Monaro with the steering wheel on the wrong side. If you watch TopGear ( UK ) they raved about the Monaro.
Sad note, the last ever Holden rolled off the line a few weeks ago.

And yes Holden used lsx motors in a few of their models and can be picked up quite cheaply. I'm not into them for my old cars. I still love the look of the good old sbc. I'm an electronics guy, but I dont want to touch it in my playtime. Not even car audio, which is pretty lame anyway when you play with 100kwatts ++ at work. Happy to listen to the 8 piece orchestra out front.

Our hire company supplies audio equipment and instruments for concerts, festivals, tours etc. If you are a muso, and played around here, youve most likely used our equipment. I look after all the maintenance. Not a lot of juicy stories to tell really. Occasionally meet some big stars, met Booker T recently, he's pretty big historically.
These days if I'm at a gig, that means something has gone bad, so its stress and not a lot of smiling. The audience is waiting.
If you have a specific interest, feel free to ask.
cheers