The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #26
mr48chev

Re: Tech Tips and Tricks-Post your favorites!

Not an actual on the vehicle tech tip but a solve the does it exist in the aftermarket tip.

I'm in belief that there is no possible way that they can or do actually stock all of the parts that they show and delayed shipment on a park light lens for my 77 dualie shows that but if you are hunting for an odd ball AD part and want to know if it exists checking the Filling Station catalog will usually show if it exists in the aftermarket. https://www.fillingstation.com/index.htm I've found that the more vague the description is the better chance you have of finding the part even though you may have to do a lot more scrolling.

It's not a suggestion to buy from them necessarily but a resource to use in your searches.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #27
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you're adding sheet metal to a panel, like a longer piece to add length etc, those little butt joint clamps are great. if you use a long length of key stock the same size as the little piece in the clamp it can help keep things lined up by connecting 2 of the clamps on the same key stock length, one on each side of the inserted repair panel. see pic for better explanation.
when doing welds on large panels ensure to keep the heat down by doing short welds and also plannish each hot spot, right after that spot has been welded, to keep shrinkage/warpage to a minimum. don't do another weld until the whole panel has cooled off enough to be room temp. I use compressed air from a distance to cool the whole panel after it has had a chance to initially cool naturally first. it's a good idea to have another project on the go at the same time so you're not temped to weld again too soon. this is a pic of my roof panel.
That longer length of Keystock trick is something that I would have never thoght of. McMaster-Carr shows it on longer lengths https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-key...e-key-stock-5/

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #28
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you're adding sheet metal to a panel, like a longer piece to add length etc, those little butt joint clamps are great. if you use a long length of key stock the same size as the little piece in the clamp it can help keep things lined up by connecting 2 of the clamps on the same key stock length, one on each side of the inserted repair panel. see pic for better explanation.
best tip so far!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:31 PM   #29
mr48chev

I know some will say that you can use a tape measure but I've found that it is a lot quicker and far more accurate to use a bolt circle gauge when wheel hunting or brake drum checking.

The top two images were snagged off Ebay but I have all three styles.

The slide gauge is about 12 bucks or less and you set it to the size you want and use it like a go/no go gauge. It covers about all the bases for car and light truck too.

The larger plastic one can often be found at the cheap tool vendors at swapmeets or car shows. Prices are all over the place on EBay. Works great for checking the stud pattern on hubs or axles along with checking wheels.

The bottom one is one I picked up a few years ago and is aluminum and fits in a hip pocket in a pair of jeans but does take a tad more thinking to use.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #30
daveshilling

Some good tips in here so far! I started grouping some of them together up top so they're easy to find categorically.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #31
daveshilling

How to find the right shape hose for your project at the parts store
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote