The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
AcampoDave

Slowly Slowing Board

I've been a member here for over 7 years and it seems during the last 2 years or so, things have started to slow down. (It seems even more so lately.) I personally can't fault our moderators as I think they have been consistently good. I can't see it being our members or our vendors either as they almost always seem respectful and helpful. If a receeding of the tide is not simply my perception, then what has changed?"
Certainly there are fewer 60-66 Chevy trucks on the road with each passing year. Also, many topics have already been covered and a quick search of the archives may often negate the need to actually post a question. I've also noticed that many times an experienced member will simply post a link for a newbie to a previous discussion and there is little left to be said. (I've done that.) Have we archived so much information that we are falling victim to our own success?
Rapid expansion of social media has provided us with far more options these days and undoubtedly this diverts some potential posters to other sites, but I like it here. I still want to see "our little slice of the web" continue to thrive.
Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or is this really an elephant in the room?

Last edited by AcampoDave; 09-05-2020 at 10:30 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: Slowly Slowing Board

I am not sure as I haven't been an actual member for long enough to notice. Was a lurker for several years before actually joining

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:03 AM   #3
SkinnyG

Forums in general are slowly dying.

I am (clearly) old, as I cannot stand the apparent lack of organization that Facebook (which is now starting to die) and now Instagram provide. Or don't provide. I'm old, and I can't figure out how to find stuff. And get off my lawn.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:30 AM   #4
Warrens69GMC

And FB and instagram are now the same company.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:42 AM   #5
SkinnyG

Well that explains why FB has made changes that make even less sense to me.

I mean, what the heck was wrong with Windows 3.1, anyway?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:58 AM   #6
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Well that explains why FB has made changes that make even less sense to me.

I mean, what the heck was wrong with Windows 3.1, anyway?
Based on that comment , the best we could hope for was George and Gracie...
And you remember the WOPR from wargames?, it's now in the palm of your hand...
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #7
cru_zn_29

The world is changing and i don't think we are going to like it.
cru_zn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Based on that comment , the best we could hope for was George and Gracie...
And you remember the WOPR from wargames?, it's now in the palm of your hand...
I loved that movie!
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
roll_the_dice

To the original question...I, like Christian, have not been on the board long enough to really notice a decline. I do try to do searches for things before I post and there is a wealth of information on this board. When I do post a question, I don't appreciate someone saying do a search or posting a link to a thread that may or may not have what I am searching for...If you know the answer just post it. I would rather someone post the answer, then say I found it here and post the link. If someone new comes to the board and they are chastised for not searching it is going to turn them away from posting.

I don't do facebook or any social media and I love that I don't...I am old school and maybe just getting older and like forums over something like facebook. My wife does enough social media for the both of us. So I will never be a part of FB groups...

I think everything is cyclical...people come and go in any hobby...there is a core of great people here that have been here for a long time and post, but for the most part when a build is over people leave....until or if they have another build.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
bigmoe

I agree I think forums are slowing down and Facebook groups are growing. Can't stand the manic pace and disorganization of the Facebook groups I'm on. Someone will post a question and when I get home I look at my wealth of info in my file folder (yes I have file folders, lol). I then go back to Facebook and I can't find the post. Facebook is like someone yelling a question into a big crowd. Someone passing might have the info you want and yell it back.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
ACK

Echoing what was previously said, there's a reason rotary phones, manual choke, and SyQuest drives are extinct. It's to the point Craigslist is being overtaken by Facebook Marketplace and I'm panicking a little. Based on what the wife reads to me from her Facebook account, I'm way better off hanging around here until I'm 6 feet under, the forum closes, or it too moves to Facebook, so ... LONG LIVE THE 67-72 FORUM!!!
Old 09-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
blacknwhitedog

I think Covid and the current political environment have set everyone back a little. We used to be able to go to car shows, swap meets, meet-ups etc. and we are all severely restricted, and at least for me, I find it depressing. It's made me pull back on the truck and car hobby until things return to "normal" whatever that may be. We were not meant to be sequestered in our homes as we are now. Too, I have to agree with other posters that the FB and Instagram environment have changed the hobby and society....and not for the better. This is off topic, but I recently posted on CL and Facebook marketplace that I had free 12 by 12 pavers for anyone who wanted them. A craigslist guy got here first and took them. Very polite and a regular guy. I had several responses from FB marketplace during that time and wasn't able to respond immediately that they were already taken. Without fail almost every person on FB marketplace was rude, one guy getting back to me with a string of obscenities and other "threats" because he couldn't have them first. A very entitled and self absorbed mindset seem prevalent these days, and I don't like it. I was always taught to treat people with respect...very disturbing.
blacknwhitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
LEEVON

Competing platforms, aging enthusiasts, changing social norms (we don't talk to each other or hang out like we used to). Facebook and IG are crappy places to hang out for this hobby IMO though. Also the trucks and parts are not as easy to find and as cheap as they used to be. The parts and trucks for sale sections were much busier 10 years ago. I've been hanging out here (well the old message board) since 1996 or 97 when it was so exciting to find people and information online. Times have certainly changed!
Old 09-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #14
pdxhall

I've been a member for about ten years now but I took 3 years after I retired and went traveling. When I got back on I was stunned at how many people had left or were inactive. Since that time I have noticed a steady decline in followers and that sucks but I'm sure there are many that drift away after their project is completed. I'm sure the current situation in the US is a little to blame but we should try to communicate better and maybe we can revive things somewhat. I really miss the way thing were but I guess i will have to accept it.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #15
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I haven't read all the previous posts, but yes, this place used to be very active. And then yes, a few years back it slowed quite a bit. And again, yes, it has slowed even more.
I remember you'd get a repeat thread asking the same question sometimes as much as two times a week. And it would frustrate me. Now I'm glad when someone asks if they should put their truck body on a newer frame.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #16
chev-obsession

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately... in the 60-66 Era there aren’t a lot of those trucks left. They don’t come up for sale very often, you don’t see them sitting in fields and have the thrill of asking if they’re for sale, there aren’t a lot on the road these days, it sucks to not see them around like you used to. When they do come up for sale, they’re rough and need a lot of work.

Part of me wonders if it’s the goofy crap going on in the world now or if they’re just slowly coming to an end. They were/are affordable projects, do people have great big plans for their projects, tear them apart, work on them for a little bit and then loose interest and sell or scrap what’s left?

The old Chevy trucks are still ever popular, so I don’t see them going away or loosing popularity. Its the times changing, people not using the forum like they used to? This section was once thriving now merely a ghost town. Just like craigslist, I have 1 person inquire about an item I have for sale For every 10 people on Facebook marketplace, which if you have an item that’s reasonably priced you open up to a bloodbath of a bidding war. Which is new to me.

I’d rather have the forum to fall Back on which is a book of knowledge and I have a hard time believing anyone on Facebook and like the structure and control of the forum better. People are attention seekers, they don’t see 50 likes on a picture they post on the forum but do on FB, unless you check your email more than likely your not getting notification pop ups on your phone when someone responds to your thread where as your notified instantly with social media.

It’s a tough pill to swallow but the good ole days are behind us.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #17
jocko

Quote:
And get off my lawn.
that just made my day
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #18
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cru_zn_29 View Post
The world is changing and i don't think we are going to like it.
I’m with you
I already don’t like where it’s going
I liked it when only Dick Tracy had a talking watch LMAO
Old 09-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #19
richards72chevy

I was attempting to change careers a few years ago and it shocked me how much Facebook has took that over.Not much ads in the paper and when you go to the unemployment office they just tell you to go thier website and there isn't much on their site.I know a lot of older people setting Facebook's just to browse things for sale.Yard sales are pretty much a thing of the past.I have been on this website for awhile and hope it doesn't go anywhere.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #20
Lovett

You may not like what I have to say. I used this board for a 65 GMC project. In the beginning I would ask questions. I got a lot of just read the information in the threads replies. So it is like the users here are to busy doing nothing here to answer your questions. Having to pay to use this site for more then simple messages is also driving people away. Post that are so old the pictures do not show in the threads anymore. The only people that post things are talking about 10 year old projects they no longer own. I had a problem with a turn signal switch. The switch that was in the column was an odd backward design compared to the chevy switch. The 1st reply I got was from a GMC expert that told me it was not a gmc switch and showed me what the switch should look like. It was from 2 ton dump truck. When I question him about it. I got a bunch of grief that I had to be wrong and how dare I question the expert. I posted a picture of the switch. Which I had to pay to post here. Another person replied back he had the same switch and gave me the part number and company to get it from. problem solved. This place feels like the old guys club. Don't let or help the new guys. Then stand around and ask why no one is here anymore.
Lovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
SkinnyG

Lovett: I did notice the same thing when I got on here. This isn't as friendly as some other forums I frequent, but it is also not as bad as others I've been to. Early on I was reprimanded by a moderator for a comment that -was- helpful, but wasn't interpreted that way, and when I contacted them about it, was ignored and given no explanation. I follow a number of 60-66 groups on Facebook, and largely all that is posted is nothingness, and "side-shot-saturday" and the like. I use it for inspiration, but I come here for knowledge.

I also can do site searches for here through Google ("what I want" "more" -corndog site:67-72chevytrucks.com), and can usually find my answer without having to interact with the mouth-pieces, though for the questions I could not find answers to, I did get very helpful people.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovett View Post
You may not like what I have to say. I used this board for a 65 GMC project. In the beginning I would ask questions. I got a lot of just read the information in the threads replies. So it is like the users here are to busy doing nothing here to answer your questions. Having to pay to use this site for more then simple messages is also driving people away. Post that are so old the pictures do not show in the threads anymore. The only people that post things are talking about 10 year old projects they no longer own. I had a problem with a turn signal switch. The switch that was in the column was an odd backward design compared to the chevy switch. The 1st reply I got was from a GMC expert that told me it was not a gmc switch and showed me what the switch should look like. It was from 2 ton dump truck. When I question him about it. I got a bunch of grief that I had to be wrong and how dare I question the expert. I posted a picture of the switch. Which I had to pay to post here. Another person replied back he had the same switch and gave me the part number and company to get it from. problem solved. This place feels like the old guys club. Don't let or help the new guys. Then stand around and ask why no one is here anymore.

Not sure why anyone would have to "pay' to allow just posting a pic in any general forum here?

You have to have a subscription (pay) for the parts buy/WTB/sell/classifieds related for the site. They have to keep people from just using the site as a spot to off-load their goods/services w/o actually contributing to the sites membership. it's been that way since I got here. I've never had to pay though to post a pic for a question asked though so is there a possibility it was related to a 'want to buy' a part angle?

As for the site 'slowing' down? Facebook & IG are having an impact on most internet forums; not just this one. But, those that remain here & contribute are what make the site successful.

I'll be honest & say I don't do FB @ all. I would read some of the things that people I know personally write & think... Wow.

I do still check my IG account daily for car related stuff but even that's getting annoying w/all the BS of late. People say posting the pics to IG is easier & it might. But, there's minimal content/explanation w/just an image for most of it so it doesn't 'help' like a forum setting does.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #23
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Lovett: I did notice the same thing when I got on here. This isn't as friendly as some other forums I frequent, but it is also not as bad as others I've been to. Early on I was reprimanded by a moderator for a comment that -was- helpful, but wasn't interpreted that way, and when I contacted them about it, was ignored and given no explanation...
That happened to me once here a couple years ago, I was singled out etc. I did however PM the guy and give him what for. As it happened someone else complained and there was a shake-up of sorts from what I understood.
And now guess what? I are one (kind of).
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #24
SS317

I've been lurking for years. Now I still come and research stuff like crazy, but when every time I would post a question, sometimes for a different perspective from others, I got tired of the "Use the search function" comments. I'm still here quite a bit, but don't post as much as I used to.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #25
roll_the_dice

There was a build thread post recently that started from a new member. He posted 31 times in his build thread from start to finish in one day...people commented and he never responded to others posts and last time I looked hasn't been on the board since he started his post. All his posts are on that one thread in a span of 2 hours.

To me that is the epitome, my perception, of a FB post...show what you did look for praise or whatever and never respond or interact with others. IMO, that is a wasted thread...maybe that is the wave of the future...post not interact and not care.

I prefer to read, post, learn, and hopefully help others. I also have met in person a few people even during Covid and plan on meeting others in the near future. To me that is what it is all about...a community of like minded folks to shoot the breeze with and learn and help.

Quite frankly if others don't want that, then secretly (guess it isn't a secret anymore) I don't want them here. Nothing irks me more than when someone asks a question, then says I figured it out and they never post their solution to the problem...so that doesn't help anyone.

OK sorry off my mini rant.