The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #26
oem4me

Re: Slowly Slowing Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Not sure why anyone would have to "pay' to allow just posting a pic in any general forum here?

You have to have a subscription (pay) for the parts buy/WTB/sell/classifieds related for the site. They have to keep people from just using the site as a spot to off-load their goods/services w/o actually contributing to the sites membership. it's been that way since I got here. I've never had to pay though to post a pic for a question asked though so is there a possibility it was related to a 'want to buy' a part angle?
For years now, I've been denied access to posting of any kind after my paid membership expired. I've been here for a decade and feel that I have contributed a fair amount to the sites content, especially in the realm of original type trucks. I'm being flat honest when I say it's kinda maddening to get "cut off" after letting a subscription lapse for a few days. Makes me feel like the folks that run the site are in it only for the money. That's reason enough for me to look for other venues, however flawed they may be.
As far as the rude "use the search feature" reply goes, I'll defend that one. You see, some people don't even know it's there to use. Others are just lazy. And then some feel it's a bother to wade through endless repetitive pulp about "what size tires can I run after my drop", while browsing for something interesting. Many, many pertinent questions have already been asked and answered effectively and completely with pictures to illustrate. It's all there for you .. that is, if you use the search feature.
Hmmm ... was that a rant? ...sorta felt like it .. but not really how I wanted ...

Last edited by oem4me; 09-08-2020 at 01:30 AM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #27
SCOTI

I also didn't like the classifieds 'pay to play' program but it is what it is. I don't sell enough to spend $$ just to have my name a different shade.

I try to contribute daily if/when I have the ability to possibly help someone. I feel thats worth something even if it isn't monetarily. And it is worth something.... just on a personal level.

This site is a good one in my book. There are far, far worse.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #28
62bagger

I don't mind the membership fee. The information I get from this site is well worth the price. I usually check every day or two and read what is posted although I don't always log in. I don't use FB. I hope to start posting some progress as soon as I get my garage completed.
Attached Images

62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #29
short&wide65

I joined my first forum in my 20's back in the late 90's. Now I'm in my 40's and I have seen a decline in most of the forums I am on as well.

I hate Facebook. I was on it for a few years but deleted my account 4 years ago. Its algorithms have ruined society and turned us against each other and I don't just mean politically but in all facets of life. For example, there are some Fords I like and some import cars I like but according to some I should only like Chevys and the rest are garbage. Tribalism will be the downfall of us all.

Unfortunately, I organize some autocross events and needed to be on it to answer questions and promote events since Facebook is where the people are. So I've back on for almost 2 years with a "ghost account" which means I have no friends and only am involved in a handful of groups. That's it.

The one issue I do find with forums, and it's certainly not just this forum, is that it's hard to find people building trucks/cars similar to mine. Don't get me wrong, I like the diversity and love seeing everyone's projects and trucks whether it's stock or modded. There is some fantastic information on the history of these trucks on here.

But I'm building a Pro-Touring truck and it can be hard to find answers to the questions I need. So when I try searching for something specific, I get a lot of information that while interesting, doesn't help me at all. So I will admit Facebook and Instagram are more targeted in that regard.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #30
nsb29

I was a high-octane member for several years but as the amount I was selling slowed I decided to be a premium member again as always soon as I am notified I made my payment but to my surprise I was immediately scale back to a premium member Before my High-octane membership had expired Not that it really mattered but didn’t feel it was right overall I have had no real complaints about the forum I have not been on the form as long as some but I have seen a considerable reduction or slowing I do have someone that trolls me on paint and body calls we are hack a few other choice things But I just figure he’s jealous ha ha
Old 09-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #31
1971 GMC SHORTY

I’ve Been Lurking for years I’ve always driven a 60s short bed or 70 short bed Being From Los Angeles Lots Of Trucks But All that’s Out There Are Projects. Lot of Over Priced Stuff. I’ve Built Lots of Trucks. I Could Be on here Reading About Peoples Project Follow project being done, original trucks; Last few years it’s Slowing Down I’ve Always paid My Yearly memberships Knot even thinking Anyone Profiting, Never Been into Selling! Just Really Enjoying Readying Looking! I’ll still pay my Yearly Hope it Gets Better!
145CI M/P Pro Street FXR
2002 FXDP
2007 2500HD DURAMAX. DD
Studio Teamsters / Mechanic
Retired GM Master Tech 20 Years
Retired Ford Tech 15 Years
1971 GMC SHORTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #32
5Tractorguy

I still frequent the forum almost every day to read through threads. The '64 GMC 4X4 in my pic was in the middle of being restored until I went into business for myself back in 2016, now it's been sitting ever since. Some day it'll be finished...

I check in on the 73-87 forum most days since the majority of the trucks I own are that style. But there has been a decline there, the Heavy Haulers side and here too unfortunately. Judging by what I see on the Facebook sites (though I don't participate in them) and for sale ads, I think the truck hobby is still alive and well, but guys aren't posting their projects as much. Same goes for the tractor world too which I'm more active in. Old garden tractor market is hot, but the online forums and pages are not.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #33
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

It seems the majority of us staying here is because we don't like Facebook.
A couple have mentioned how they felt their questions got blown off and told to search - I guess I've never had that issue because I really do search first. The reason I stay here is because I have always felt the members here were polite. I tried HAMB and another, but golly those guys can be brutal. Didn't happen to me, because I didn't post much over there.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #34
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
It seems the majority of us staying here is because we don't like Facebook.
A couple have mentioned how they felt their questions got blown off and told to search - I guess I've never had that issue because I really do search first. The reason I stay here is because I have always felt the members here were polite. I tried HAMB and another, but golly those guys can be brutal. Didn't happen to me, because I didn't post much over there.
Oh man I got hammered over there years ago because I built my 32 too clean. Never again will I go there.
I think many people come on here while at work too, so that being slow may have reduced the activity.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #35
jchav62
1962 C-10

I agree with the consensus... seems like FB and IG are the mainstream nowadays and the forums are slowly dwindling. I myself am guilty of not checking in daily like I used to. I've been a member for 15 years... this forum (6772chevytrucks) as a whole is still livelier than most! A couple years ago I signed up to a couple of Duramax forums, because I owned one for a short time... you can see the tumbleweeds blowing around!! Dang...

Same thing with the forums for Toyota pickups... my last project was an '88 Toy 4x4, similar to my high school truck... signed up to find parts and get advice... crickets over there as well.

At least here with still have some participation. I'll ride the wave to the end!

Be safe everyone... JC62
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #36
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I'm glad this subject was brought up. I was very active on here from '08 to about '15. I loved this site and found everyone respectful, knowledgeable, and engaging.

I then took a hiatus for a few years and started getting active again earlier this year. I too find the site now a little less active and posts go unanswered longer than they used to. But that's how life goes, right? Things change. Our world now has too many distractions, even compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

But it seems there is still a great amount of knowledge and expertise here; still a go to resource for accurate information on our trucks. Thank you to all the folks who contribute and make this place a gold mine of Chevy truck knowledge!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #37
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Also, as far as paying the premium membership dues goes, I've been paying $25/year for as long as I have been here I think. Kudos to the leadership on here for not jacking up the price every year to make another dime.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #38
plmadding

The general trend is people are transitioning away from Forums and message boards and going to Facebook Groups. Convenience drives this. Most people are accessing the internet from mobile devices and Facebook is of course formatted for that much better than Forums are.

The tragedy, in my opinion, is that Forums are searchable through Google and the Forum itself. The information is preserved as long as someone is paying to host the data and reserve the domain (maybe other things I don't know about also). Data on Facebook is buried so quickly, it is not easy to search, and as others have mentioned, it is all "check out my ride" posts. I am very sad to see Forums lose prominence.

I have enjoyed time on fountainpenboard.com (peaked 2016-now nearly silent), russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com (peaked 2016 still a core group of active members), bimmerfest.com. Forums have taught me a huge amount and allow people with focused interested to connect and help each other with projects.

The trucks we like are old enough you can't go down to the local garage and have the old boy there tell you the tricks to solving some weird issue you are having. I hope valuable forums, such as this one, keep on well into the future. But, I imagine naturally the sub-forums for newer generations will get more active and older generations will become less active.
plmadding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #39
LT1 Burb

I deleted my FB account last month so am active here, I never left, but my truck is finished so my questions are answered. When I build my square body pro tour truck with an LS I will most likely ask questions there again.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #40
SCOTI

As long as people stick around here & contribute, the site should survive. Peaks & valleys of attendance & contributions will always fluctuate. Part of life....

For those that find FB groups better? I scratch my head.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #41
raylube

This thread reminds me of how I got into this forum. Back before the internet the trucks hobbies window to the world was the truck magazine. I would look at them at the store and not much applied to the classic truck and then as the hobby grew so came the classic trucks mags. Eagerly I paid my subscription and kept it until in my opinion looked like one big advertisement with little help for non advertisers products. Then my brother told me about this website and because of the content the only time I look at the truck magazine is if I can find one when I am bored while waiting for my wife to shop. I asked questions and posted with good responses and 2 years ago I started a thread about a project on how I received it from the po. The po had done some things that may look sketchy or illegal but were done legally at the time. And it is all taken care of legally now.Only 2 people gave me any positive comments but I posted updates any way until last month a moderator closed my thread based on something a po did 25 years ago. I still enjoy this forum and all the helpful things people give but am hesitant to contribute from now on. It used to be my first go to site but now I don't know.
raylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #42
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylube View Post
This thread reminds me of how I got into this forum. Back before the internet the trucks hobbies window to the world was the truck magazine. I would look at them at the store and not much applied to the classic truck and then as the hobby grew so came the classic trucks mags. Eagerly I paid my subscription and kept it until in my opinion looked like one big advertisement with little help for non advertisers products. Then my brother told me about this website and because of the content the only time I look at the truck magazine is if I can find one when I am bored while waiting for my wife to shop. I asked questions and posted with good responses and 2 years ago I started a thread about a project on how I received it from the po. The po had done some things that may look sketchy or illegal but were done legally at the time. And it is all taken care of legally now.Only 2 people gave me any positive comments but I posted updates any way until last month a moderator closed my thread based on something a po did 25 years ago. I still enjoy this forum and all the helpful things people give but am hesitant to contribute from now on. It used to be my first go to site but now I don't know.
This is difficult to read. PO (previous owner)? A moderator, from this site, closed your thread (build thread?) based on something "a po did 25yrs ago"?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #43
raylube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
This is difficult to read. PO (previous owner)? A moderator, from this site, closed your thread (build thread?) based on something "a po did 25yrs ago"?
Previous owner, a moderator from this site closed my build thread.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #44
SCOTI

Quote:
Previous owner, a moderator from this site closed my build thread.
???
What was the title of the build thread? What section (I don't want to assume)?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #45
LostMy65

I don't know all the facts, but posts that talk about illegal stuff I don't think would be allowed no matter how long ago it was. I would see if they could delete/edit the posts referencing illegal stuff and reopen your thread.
I apologize if I had seen your thread and didn't post my appreciation for it. I look at a lot of build threads but rarely post in them. I'll let that be a reminder to me - to at least post from time to time about someone's progress.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 09-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #46
LostMy65

Here's one I found.
I posted in it:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620864

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 09-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #47
raylube

I Don't want to get into a pissing match on this thread. But there are numerous threads with the same content that are still open. I would be fine with deleting said post as it has nothing to do with the goal my build just showing previous owners sins on my truck. PM me if you really want the details.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #48
LostMy65

Sorry. Didn't mean to start anything.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 09-09-2020, 02:55 PM   #49
raylube

Your fine. Appreciate your input. Thanks for posting on my other thread.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #50
The Rocknrod

Quote:
I Don't want to get into a pissing match on this thread. But there are numerous threads with the same content that are still open. I would be fine with deleting said post as it has nothing to do with the goal my build just showing previous owners sins on my truck. PM me if you really want the details.
If you would report any of those threads they would be considered by the staff for closing. That's the little triangle under the posters name.
Attached Images

The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote