The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
dieseltech619

donor vehicle questions

I have a line on an 04 2500 hd 6.0 auto 4x4 wrecked in the rear, trans has been sold and wouldn't be usefull for me being 4x4 any way.

i have done alot of reading on this forum and others and can't seem to find concrete answers to these questions

I plan on pulling the valve covers and making sure the top end looks clean, I also plan on using a custom harness. Besides inspecting the engine what other parts should i be looking for? ecm, throttle pedal, tac module?

what is the tac module and where is it located?

I was also considering taking the fuel lines and trans cooler lines as i might be able to reuse a portion of them

Will i run into any issues because this was originally a 4x4 setup? not sure if there are any special provisions in the ecm or of the engine that are 4x4 only?

thanks for your time and help
dieseltech619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: donor vehicle questions

Things to get..ill just list it all..
Engine complete with accessories
Wiring harness (your going aftermarket)..if it comes free with the engine it can be sold ..
Ecm
gas pedal..if its dbw..the tac should be plugged into the pedal kinda like the pic below (I think)
maf and if you can use it the intake tubes and breather box
Grab anything you think you might use..better to have it than wish you had it
Might want to grab at least the front half of the exhaust with the o2s
Attached Images

Last edited by mongocanfly; 02-11-2017 at 07:37 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If the engine is still where you can crank it that would be a bonus..usually ls engines are extremely clean on the inside..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

one thing to consider... the ecm and the anti-theft stuff. IF you can run the engine. fire it up and let it fun for a moment and while it is running disconnect the three plugs on ethe body control module under the dash. this will bypass the anti-theft stuff that you will not have to fight or de-program from the ecm later if you want to bench run it.

get the trans cooler and at least a few inches of the cooler lines attached to the cooler, but, dont bother with fuel lines or the trans cooler lines from the trans. depending upon the trans you use the cooler lines may be different so.... dont bother.

I would use a set NPT to AN fitting adapters from the trans to the cooler lines depending upon what lines you use.

same goes for the fuel lines.

I am not certain, but the 04 might be drive by cable rather than drive by wire, keep that in mind, so your not fretting over the TAC if its not there.

4X4 ecm. I am not an expert so take this with a grain of salt. the ecm NEEDS to be re-program anyways so the difference between 2x4 and 4x4 is nothing to worry about.

I would also consider getting the wire harness as you could sell it to recover some of your $$ OR save yourself some $$ by getting your harness modified rather than purchasing a full custom harness. also get the complete under hood fuse panel/jct box, useful but maybe not necessary. there is a guy in L.A. that does harness modification for about 300$ shipped, thats the way i went and i think its a well worth while route.

get the drive line as well. you will need the front part of it.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
dieseltech619

awesome thanks for the quick and helpful responses
Old 02-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
dieseltech619

I just came back from checking out this truck, it's a drive by cable engine with cruise control, i was considering taking the cruise set up as well incase i wanted to try and get that to work in the future. I noticed there were 2 modules on the d/s fender next to the battery, i am assuming the ecm is in the big box under the fuse panel and the 2nd module mounted below and in front of it is the tcm? or is that the ecm and the fuse box is just that? if it is a tcm will i need that to run the 4l80e i plan on getting to swap in?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
72MARIO

Shoot me your number in a pm I would be happy to discuss all I have learned on my swaps

Mario
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
izzy_Britton

shouldnt be a TCM unless it is an alison or a 2007 and newer I THINK... maybe someone will chime in and correct me.

did you happen to snap a pic?

I would indeed take the cruise control module. if its FREE then you have nothing to worry about.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
dieseltech619

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
shouldnt be a TCM unless it is an alison or a 2007 and newer I THINK... maybe someone will chime in and correct me.

did you happen to snap a pic?

I would indeed take the cruise control module. if its FREE then you have nothing to worry about.
I did not get a picture but i did do some digging and found out it is the ecm and the anything i want that has to do with the engine swap is available to me for the same price so thats why i was thinking of grabbing it
Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
dieseltech619

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
Shoot me your number in a pm I would be happy to discuss all I have learned on my swaps

Mario
thanks but i got it sorted out