The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
Ryanz

Courtesy Lights

Can anyone tell me if both driver and passenger side courtesy lights are supposed to come on when you open one door? I've just installed mine and have it wired so that only the light in which door you're opening comes on. Not sure if that's how it was from the factory?
Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
pound41

Re: Courtesy Lights

both should come on when either door is open
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Both.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Ryanz

Thanks guys - I thought so. I must have missed a step. Will go back and look at my wiring. I was going to tie them into my interior lights on my hard top but I know that's not how they came from the factory, so I think I'll leave them stock.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
pound41

If you have lights in your top you have a single wall. I owned a single wall top years ago so I cannot remember. My double wall tops no lights. My courtesy lights are wired to the headlight switch. I would assume they would all be tied together
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
cleszkie

All interior lights should be tied together, and run through the headlight switch. When I open a door, all under dash and hardtop lights come on. They also all come on when I twist the headlight switch knob all the way clockwise with doors closed.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
Ryanz

I didn't think they came that way from the factory? I'm pretty sure I read on a previous thread that you had to turn the dome lights on manually. But clearly I must have something wrong. I just have them wired into my fuse box.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
All interior lights should be tied together, and run through the headlight switch. When I open a door, all under dash and hardtop lights come on. They also all come on when I twist the headlight switch knob all the way clockwise with doors closed.
And if you want more light, a rear view mirror from an S-10 with map lights would really help. It's the same as the one I have in my Z-28 (it's a convertible, so no dome lights) and it really helps at night. I'm planning on adding that to my build.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanz View Post
Thanks guys - I thought so. I must have missed a step. Will go back and look at my wiring. I was going to tie them into my interior lights on my hard top but I know that's not how they came from the factory, so I think I'll leave them stock.
If you have a single wall top with the dome lights chances are your k5 was not equipped with underdash lights from GM as these were on double wall top k5s. I believe (maybe I'm wrong) the dome lights superseded the underdash lights, which are never the less a nice add.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
Ryanz

Yes - that seems to be the consensus. So, if wired to factory specs, I should wire it through the light switch as well as into the fuse box? If anyone has done this can you please explain how you did it. Thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just tied together by a common 12volt wire. Whenever either door opens, the door pin grounds the circuit and passes 12volts to the lights.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just tied together by a common 12volt wire. Whenever either door opens, the door pin grounds the circuit and passes 12volts to the lights.
Yes, but each is their own separate ground to the door pin so how is it possible to get them both to come on at the same time? Run a wire to connect both grounds - as in from one pin to the other?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

No, I believe they just share a common 12volt wire between the lights and the fuse box. I may be wrong, it's been 8-10 years since I rewired mine. No need to wire for sharing ground as the body of the truck is the common ground for both door pins.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #14
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook View Post
No, I believe they just share a common 12volt wire between the lights and the fuse box. I may be wrong, it's been 8-10 years since I rewired mine. No need to wire for sharing ground as the body of the truck is the common ground for both door pins.
Yes, that's how they're wired - with the common wire. For some reason they only come on individually and not together.