The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
Vince M

Anybody ever remove ALL the rivets from a frame..?

Got the 68 down to the bare frame and will probably end up powdercoating it, but I was wondering if it would be better to completely take the frame apart and then use bolts to reassemble. Anybody ever do this or have an opinion why it couldn't be done.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Crank

I think it'd actually look better, because you can't exactly make those rivets look good if you don't get down and dirty with them. Lets hear it everyone.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
hobby67stepside

I removed some of the rivets (those little re-inforcement bracket ones toward the rear of the frame) but not all. However, if you are going to powder coat (I did not) I would highly consider the extra work of the removal. I think the end results will be worth it to you. I would recommend using grade 8 bolts for reassembly.
    '78 K20 4X4 400 eng
    '70 Boss 302 (owner for 27 years)
    '57 Ford shortbox 383 stroker TH350 tranny
    '23 T-bucket (built in '78)
    '02 Explorer
    '67 C-10 short step
NW Iowa
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #4
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

It sounds like over-kill to me. I just talked to the powder coater last week. He told me to start with the frame sandblasted. Then they would use a detergent to do a final degrease and cleaning. Into the oven for drying after which they would be able to see if there was any remaining grease or oil. If there was it would be cleaned again and dried in the oven one more time.

I don't think you will get a far better job by taking it apart rivet by rivet. But if you do, plan on drilling out each and every hole so it will snuggly fit your replacement bolts.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Bowed

I bought a 2WD blazer a few years ago that had every chassis rivit replaced with bolts , I mean everything , Even the spring perches , body mounts , small brackets . The truck was not restored or refinished and I never did figure out why someone made that change. Chassis rivits are soft steel ( made to crush ) and equal to a grade 5 bolt in strength .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
hobby67stepside

I figured for powder coating it would be best to get all the rust and crud out that "grows" in the spaces between the frame and brackets and crossmembers, but if powder coaters don't think its necessary, I'm not going to suggest otherwise then. I romoved those small brackets because I could see bad crud and couldn't get it out any other way. As far as bolt strenght I stand corrected, but on the front end cross member it is recommended to use grade 8 - of course they are bolts to start with.

Last edited by hobby67stepside; 02-11-2003 at 03:24 AM.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

And FYI. I was quoted $25 per foot for powder painting. Unbolt every piece that you can. That would make it about $475 to do a truck frame. I was expecting more so I was pleasently surprised. This doesn't include the sandblasting.
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #8
Vince M

I've had a lot of stuff powdercoated before and worked in the business somewhat. The problem with my frame is that the heavy laminations like at the rear spring perch is rusting real bad between the laminations and I can't see any way a sandblaster is going to get in between the members. I have some bolts in the frame already where the truck must have been in a accident so I figured why not strip it completely..get a better cleaning and then replace it all with some good high test bolts or even stainless. I'm just curious if anyone else has done this. I can't see why it couldn't be done. Cutting off the rivets, drilling out holes etc is not a problem. I wouldn't think of doing this if this frame didn't have all this build up between the frame members.