The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
subevo

Do I need this aux water pump?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  45.6 KB

Has anyone else got this type of auxiliary water pump on their trucks.if not why would someone fit it.
subevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Do I need this aux water pump?

My answer is no. Never seen such a thing done to these trucks and can't imagine why yours has it. These trucks have the best heat you could ever want. That set-up seems redundant. An online pump blocks the flow when not running. Maybe that's it. Rather than fox something in your heater controls (stuck on constant heat),the previous owner installed that to control water passage into heater?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
jeffro308

Maybe it had poor flow for some other reason and the previous owner installed an RV water pump. I'm thinking he needed to keep running the heat with the engine off while parked for someone. The engine temp might provide twenty minutes or so of warm water after shutting off.
jeffro308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro308 View Post
I'm thinking he needed to keep running the heat with the engine off while parked for someone.
That was my guess too.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
subevo

Thanks guys.
Another question: do you guys have an electric radiator fan as well as the mechanical engine driven fan.
Not sure I need this either.it doesn't get that hot in Scotland.even in summer.I've got a 350ci engine.

Thanks.
subevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

These trucks don't need anything to make better heat or to run cooler. They just need everything working as it should.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
burnin oil

It looks alot like an external block heater. We have something similiar to it on our tractor. Plug it in and it heats the water and pushes it through the cooling system. It works great on a diesel in cold weather. It really cuts down on engine warm up. I considered mounting one on my 72 as she is very cold natured. The only problem I see is that it should be mounted alot lower than that as most use convection to circulate the water. Being that high there is a good chance the element won/'t have coolant on it and it can burn it out.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
jeffro308

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
It looks alot like an external block heater. We have something similiar to it on our tractor. Plug it in and it heats the water and pushes it through the cooling system. It works great on a diesel in cold weather. It really cuts down on engine warm up. I considered mounting one on my 72 as she is very cold natured. The only problem I see is that it should be mounted alot lower than that as most use convection to circulate the water. Being that high there is a good chance the element won/'t have coolant on it and it can burn it out.
The center inlet, offset side outlet and round shape remind me more of a centrifugal pump. I had one in my airstream for the potable water system.
jeffro308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Post pictures of your fan set ups.

Some aftermarket fans claim they cool well, but the completely suck (which may be why your truck has both). The best fans to use for these trucks are the GM f-body fans, jeep, and Taurus 3.8L dual speed fan with full radiator width shrouds.

It depends on what you want and how the fan was wired (and if it's even a good fan). If they have everything automatic, they're nice to have, but if they have a switch you have to flip on and off in the dash... kinda defeats the purpose.

An OEM fan, correct sized and clean radiator (GM had 2, 3, and 4 row radiators for these trucks) and fan shroud will never overheat one of these trucks. Ever. If it overheats, something is wrong. I have a factory clutch fan, 4 row radiator and shroud, and even with the A/C cranked in SC's humid 95+ degree summers she doesn't overheat.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
tony58

Thumbs up Re: Do I need this aux water pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
These trucks don't need anything to make better heat or to run cooler. They just need everything working as it should.
Exactly
tony58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
burnin oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro308 View Post
The center inlet, offset side outlet and round shape remind me more of a centrifugal pump. I had one in my airstream for the potable water system.
It does somewhat resemble a sureflo pump. Most I have seen have a clear diaphram at the end though.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote