The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
thump426er

SPID Paint Code Help Please

Hi there, I’m looking for some help to decipher the color of my 72 3/4t 4x4 custom camper. It looks like Ochre to me but when I look at the paint chips of Ochre it doesn’t look quite right but I also feel it doesn’t really look like any other color chips for 72 of the chip sheets I’m seeing anyway. I compare to somewhere the sun hasn’t faded like the inside of glovebox etc. It has never had a repaint either.

The SPID reads 4001BB Special Paint

On a similar note, can anyone explain what was included in 626 Parchment Trim?

SPID pic and truck pic attached
Thanks for any info. Had planned to change color to blue/white and have already bought new seat cover/carpet/dashpad/visors in blue for the change, but am having a hard time with myself to change such an original unmolested truck. So may have some interior parts for sale haha.

Thanks again
Attached Images

thump426er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
jocko

Re: SPID Paint Code Help Please

626 is the cloth (seating/back area) and vinyl custom deluxe trim level seat cover in off white. A very nice seat to have.

Does your truck have any “Husky” decals? If so, it’s likely Placer Gold, a Chevelle color that was special ordered. Search on this site for more info - a few members have had them and done some impressive research.

Are you certain it’s original paint on the exterior?
Sometimes special paint codes use stock colors in reversed two tone paint schemes. But not in this case and I agree - doesn’t look like ochre. Have seen this truck before and always liked it. What’s the firewall look like? Any crayon letters as clues? (Probably not)

Might search for a build sheet under the seat as well.
One more note - per the SPID, it isn’t a custom camper, would need to have RPO Z81 to be one.

Last edited by jocko; 04-02-2019 at 01:51 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
thump426er

Thanks jocko, good info. Right! Custom Deluxe (fender emblems), not camper.
There are no Husky decals, no build sheet under or behind seat. Was a neat tag attached to seat back stamped “Mar 8/72 Watts Enterprises Inc”. What are some other possible build sheet locations? I looked between cardboard and tank, but didn’t move tank from cab to look there. Can’t be many spots to put a piece of paper.

No crayon anywhere I can make out. I do know it has never been painted or changed other than the wheels I added, alternator, and a battery. My friends father is the original purchaser, my friend bought it from his dad in late 90’s, then I bought it in 2008. Took a better look at door jambs, seams etc and no sign of repaint that I can make out.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
thump426er

And any ideas what would warrant the “deluxe” tag?
Edit: well that’s hardly obvious by looking at the SPID. Oops. Was more looking for what is included in this group?
Attached Images

Last edited by thump426er; 04-02-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
72c20customcamper

The spid is not like mine. Dont think it's a husky. So far only one other husky placer gold truck had the exact same spid as my truck. And it would have this on the clove box. And to think I was going to to scrape this off when I bought it.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 04-02-2019 at 05:41 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
thump426er

Can’t imagine there are too many of those around, very cool for sure.
Seeing that gold color, mine is definitely not the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
jocko

Well, it would drive me nuts to now know the color. I think you should probably just sell it (and looky here, my PM inbox is practically empty! )

Ha. JUST kidding - I like the color a lot personally - and since it's original AND in good condition (a rare combo), I actually (personally) would consider selling the blue parts and keeping this thing original. It's a personal choice though - not important to some folks to keep it original, probably more important to some than it really needs to be (yes, that would be me, it's a stifling affliction...) But cool truck no matter what direction you go.

Special Paint code also often just meant a buyer chose from the same year of GM colors, but something not available on trucks. The closest match I can come up with (for this theory) is 72 GM "Turin Tan" (paint code 58) - a Vega color in 72 I believe.

BTW, here's what the original 626 parchment interior/seat would have looked like (in a dark yellow truck though):
Attached Images

jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If it isn't metallic, Turin Tan is a good guess. I was looking at '72 Corvette Warbonnet Yellow Poly as a possibility, but the on line paint chips leave a bit to be desired. That Turin Tan is an expensive color compared to most. I repainted my '72 Vega wagon (the one with the 305 V-8 in it) that color. It was about twice what GM #11 white cost at the time.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Special Paint code also often just meant a buyer chose from the same year of GM colors, but something not available on trucks.
It could be any color available in commerce, including:

* a GM but not Chevy Truck color
* a color from another OEM
* a fleet or industrial code (railroad, local power company, RCMP, John Deere, etc)
* primer only

The ordering process (specific to PMD, but you get the idea) as delineated by historian Eric White is shown below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric White
The procedure for getting a special-paint car ordered went like this:

• The customer (or dealership) determines what color is desired.

• An "All Series Special Equipment" order form is filled out.

The information required for a special-paint-request on this form is:
• Lower Color Paint No.
• Upper Color Paint No.
• Make of Car & Year Paint Used.
I am guessing that obtaining the correct paint no. would be left up to the ordering salesman/dealership paint department.

In the '60s and early '70s, before colored plastic/fiberglass trim parts became common, any color paint could be ordered, as long as the dealer could supply the paint formula no. on the S.O. form. After the mid-'70s when the crash-bumper fillers became common place, special order colors were phased out except for large fleet orders.

Several codes were used on the Fisher Body trim tag to indicate a special-order paint. Codes varied between the years and between Fisher Body plants. Some of the codes used were:
1= Standard GM paint, not a Pontiac color
2= Special Pontiac color. Sometimes offered a half-year "springtime" color.
3= Cadillac FireFrost color. This paint was not normally allowed on a Pontiac build because of the special processes required to apply this type of paint.
4= Body in primer
SPEC or ** would indicate a paint color from a source outside GM (Ford, Chryco, AMC, John Deere, International Harvester, etc.) Colors could also be ordered to match school or business colors. As long as a formula no. could be identified by the dealership just about any color hue could be specified.

• The order was then routed through the Pontiac Zone office, which then routed it on to the Central Office.

• Central Office then entered a request to the paint supplier, usually PPG/Ditzler, for the appropriate paint.

• The paint supplier shipped a quantity of paint to the appropriate assembly plant.

• The special-order build was scheduled and coordinated between the Fisher plant and GMAD or Pontiac assembly.

• Build was delivered to dealership with a quart of touch up paint in trunk.
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote