The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Dodge68charger

Torque Converter Install?

How Much Should I Fill The Converter Before Install? its Brand New..

Any Tips Before Mating It To The Transmission? Also The Transmission Has No Fluid In It and Was Rebuilt..Thank You
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Torque Converter Install?

I used to drop the older style convertors in dry. With the new locking ones I dump a quart in.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Here are a couple links to a fairly elementary videos that may help depending on your knowledge level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFFIPyv2C_4&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_nr...eature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBecwkd1rPg
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I did this recently, I put a qt in the converter. Intended for 1.5-2 qts, but got sidetracked......Spin the converter after you've added fluid.

Grease where it meets the crank. Grease the seal, if it's not already. ATF on the shaft...Basically grease or use ATF on all contact points converter to shaft and converter to crank.

Slide the converter in nicely, maybe a jiggle, and spin. You should feel/hear 2-3 clicks. When it's in right you'll know it. It must spin freely, and you should be unable to fit your fingers between the housing and the converter from underneath. If it's installed right the converter nuts should be 8/10"-1" from the front of the housing. My stick said 8/10"ish, don't remember. Mine is a 400TH, but I think the others are the same or close. You can help lock the converter in place with some rags, though you wouldn't want to leave one behind (yikes).

When it comes time to bolt the converter onto the flex plate, the nuts on the converter should be approx. 1/8" from the plate. Spin it, should be nice and free. Then pull the converter to the plate, check spin and then bolt it on. 1-2 drops blue thread locker on the threads. You might look up the torque, I set mine at 40 ft. lbs (GR 5 flange bolts).

Look up info. on how to top off the trans. fluid. I have a total of 5 qts. in my transmission and converter. My 400 takes 9.5-11 qts., the rest comes during first start up.

Incidentally, a helping hand is nice. Pull your spark plugs and have someone work the crank so you can bolt it to the plate. From the front the crank spins clockwise. I installed two bolts on the damper to spin the crank with a bar. Should spin fairly easily.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-02-2019 at 04:53 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

My new Circle-D instructions said to put in 1 quart. Had to pour 1/2 in and then rotate the converter a few time, let it sit and then poured in the rest. Measure to make sure you have it all the way seated for the pump.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge68charger View Post
How Much Should I Fill The Converter Before Install? its Brand New..

Any Tips Before Mating It To The Transmission? Also The Transmission Has No Fluid In It and Was Rebuilt..Thank You
Posted via Mobile Device
When your tranny is mated up tight to the motor surface you should have 1/16-1/8" space/gap between the flex plate and converter to pull together. If not... your converter is not all the way seated, and never force or pull it together with the bolts.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
rjs53

If you don't have room between flex plate and convertor, spin the convertor and push. Sold a motor and trans to a friend whom I told I would help install. When I got to his house he has already mated them together. He said it was a little hard because convertor was sticking out to far so he synched it together with bell housing bolts. Then we took it apart and had a new pump put in it.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

What did your transmission rebuilder tell you to do?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #9
SeanB242

Make sure the snout of the converter fits into that back of the crank before you get it all the way in the truck. Got one once that had a thick coat of paint on it and wouldn’t go in to save my life. Had to pull it all out and sand the paint off
SeanB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Dodge68charger

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote