The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Electrical Question

I remember taking the ignition switch out and replacing it, maybe with a new one some years ago (10+?). Maybe it was the old one going back, not sure. Ever since then the windshield wipers and AC blower (dealer installed under-dash unit) have not worked. I've looked and there are no loose wires. Bad Switch? I hate to throw parts at a problem. The wiper fuse looks good. Probably the switch right? Thanks, -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: Electrical Question

Get a test light and check it. See if you have power to the switch and then out of the switch.
If no power to switch check fuse to wire feeding it.
If nothing out of the switch then it's the switch itself.
Hope it helps.
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you are talking about the wiper switch possibly being bad there is no power going to it. The power goes to the wiper motor. All of the wires going to the wiper switch are ground wires....

Here is a thread on testing the wiper motors.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413551

Our trucks have the 2 speed wiper motors.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

Thanks guys. Sorry, I meant the ignition switch since that is the part that was last messed with before the problem started. If there is a circuit from the ignition switch which feeds the wiper motor and the blower motor, then it would make some sense.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I be checking the Fuse panel as well
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
dmjlambert

On a plastic connector such as the one that plugs into the ignition switch or into the wiper switch or the fan switch or motor, sometimes when you plug it in it is possible for a terminal to push out the back of the plastic connector instead of sliding onto the spade of the switch. Check it out to make sure that is not happening to you.

Get one of those test lights that has the sharp pointed end and the alligator clip that connects to ground. Connect the alligator clip to a good clean metal ground point, and poke the pointy end where you want to check for voltage. You can press it against terminals, poke it into the back of connectors to touch the terminal metal when it is still connected, and you can poke through wire insulation to contact the wire inside.

You can't see if a fuse is good, you have to test. I recommend testing by checking for voltage on the actual clips that hold the fuse, on both sides of the fuse.

You get the best results when checking for voltage if the item you are powering is turned on and the item is drawing current or trying to draw current. So turn the blower and wipers on when testing. See if the voltage tester reads differently when the blower or wipers are turned off, which would indicate a high resistance connection such as a corroded terminal or wire will give.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

Thanks. I did purchase a new Ign. Switch just in case. I'll have to look closely at the back of the connector as you suggest and crawl under there to poke it with the pins of my multi-meter. Also the fuses will be checked.
I'll post up my findings in case they help another. -BA