The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #151
cebra

Re: 71 Cheyenne Rooftop Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertim View Post
Enjoyed reading through your build -- you have done a lot! Great ride and even cooler to see you are going to really drive it as a daily driver -- that's awesome!
Thanks, it has been trying to say the least not having a workspace but I am slowly getting there. Making a hard push to finish up metal work to paint it mid-September.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #152
cebra

I finally got around to pulling off the bedsides and welding up holes in the wheelwells and putting the original corners back in. This should be the last time the bedsides come off (fingers crossed). I have the Vintage Air half way in but I am struggling with the little rubber nutsert dealios for the condenser, about to just throw a couple pop rivets in there and call that done. I don't see how those nutserts would be any better than rivets tbh. Other than that, lots of cleaning and painting the underhood and hope to cut out the passenger side rocker (again) this Saturday if I can find electricity to borrow/rent. Note the generator in this picture as I have gone to 7 different friends houses and only 1 had enough juice to run my welder but this generator worked very well...if I had room to store it I would buy one and this would solve all my problems.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #153
TA_C10

Looking good. And nutserts certainly have their place. Do you have tool to make install easy?

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #154
cebra

No I don't have tools for them, they are not traditional nutserts they are some rubber nut things that VA came up with so that you don't have to pull the radiator to install the condenser. I am going to freeze and grease them and try to insert and if a no go on that I am giving up after fighting them for so long when a rivet will do the same if not a better job.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #155
cebra

I have been working on the truck every day but usually it is at night and I am always in a rush. I am putting this truck into paint on Sept 9 so I have a ton of metal work to do (DS Cab Corner, Drip Rail needs properly sandblasted, PS Rocker, both Door Bottoms, Finish up Bed Floor). I have started on the DS door, having a lot of issues finding good enough power to burn in my welds...popping a lot of breakers and such. Door weld looks like hell due to my inexperience coupled with the burning in issues but it will just make more grinder work and should turn out ok. I am going to pull the door off next time. Got the firewall mostly painted at this point and VA is mostly in less lines/wiring. The gravel lot is my trash dump/work space in the middle of downtown Durham....less a boatload of glass everywhere it has worked out pretty well.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #156
cebra

Still a massive amount to do to get it ready for paint and I need to fix my tune issues before I run it up to PA. I feel like I barely drive it but already put 5K miles on it since the LS was done, once I get it really right I think will probably put over 30K miles a year on it...I was thinking I could keep it near 20K but I don't think that will be very feasible seeing as it is sort of a weekend vehicle and I am averaging over 2K miles a month.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #157
cebra

Been working on a lot of misc things. I finally got a new ecu/tune and it seemed to resolve all of my issues less my e-fans now come on at 170 degrees rather than 210 but I will fix that. My S10 speedo swap now works which is great. I polished/painted some trim/emblems. I also got my tailgate on...only 3 weeks until paint/completion.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #158
notsolo

Looking good, whats your plan for mounting trim? bolt on or push on style or both. I did little of both, bolted the door trim, the problem bolt is 1st behind the hinge. Also the most important, if it is loose it will snag the front fender. Bolt was also 1/8" to long. Don't ask how I know!
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #159
cebra

I plan to do bolt on for the trim. The clips were stupid expensive to go that route but I already lost a door trim somewhere in VA so I plan to go pretty stout on the mounting. The thought of trim flying off on the highway on new paint makes my stomach turn. I plan to post the Audi on ebay once I get the truck out of paint and then it will officially be my sole driver. I put 240 miles on it yesterday so I feel pretty good about my new ecu/tune.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #160
cornerstone

Its been a tough journey for you since the rooftop days. Way back when it was driving under sbc power you shared a picture while driving behind the wheel. Any chance we can see and hear a walk around video and a cruise running that 5 speed through its paces?
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 08-18-2019 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added pic
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #161
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
Still a massive amount to do to get it ready for paint and I need to fix my tune issues before I run it up to PA. I feel like I barely drive it but already put 5K miles on it since the LS was done, once I get it really right I think will probably put over 30K miles a year on it...I was thinking I could keep it near 20K but I don't think that will be very feasible seeing as it is sort of a weekend vehicle and I am averaging over 2K miles a month.
Are you using a mig welder? If so looks like either no gas, the polarity is backwards, or you simply don't have enough heat. Them some cold welds

"It's only money".
Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #162
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
I have started on the DS door, having a lot of issues finding good enough power to burn in my welds...popping a lot of breakers and such. Door weld looks like hell due to my inexperience coupled with the burning in issues but it will just make more grinder work and should turn out ok.
I believe this is where the cold welds stem from.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #163
cebra

Yeah, not working in the best of conditions (high wind, lack of power, and high heat...doesn't affect the welds but it affects me). I have been to 4 different friends houses and even inside a garage and was unable to pull enough power to weld without popping breakers. Those welds were on "D" which is the highest setting and the highest gas setting too but wasn't working well due to the power/wind issues...ended up knocking a bunch of those off with the grinder. I took the door off and rented space in the shop, was able to turn the welder down to "A" and the gas down to 30% and got much better welds. The door bottom is done, the rusted out hinge is done (put a very thick steel plate on the inside of the door). I got my AC lines crimped and my intake tube modified to work with my top mount compressor. Next up, a bit more firewall painting, AC wiring, drill and tap a steam vent, wire up a fan controller, and cutting out the bottom of the PS door. 19 days until paint.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #164
cebra

I found this cupholder at a the junkyard when I went to get 06-11 Civic door weatherstrip. For $2, I will make a little wood box covered in something to put it in and set on the seat so I don't have to do the shift, catch drink before it tips thing since I take the truck on some pretty long drives. I didn't get a final picture after grinding but this is before it got dark last night....total of 22 hours in this door bottom. I probably could have done it in 1/4 of the time had the panel fit better and I started indoors with sufficient power. Will try to upload a video at some point but I would need to get out of the city as it is 1 (catch drink), 2 (catch drink), stop 1, 2 stop for 19 stoplights in a row.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #165
cebra

I have a few other issues I am working on. The never ending tune saga, I have a correct speedo and a tune that actually works but I can't seem to find a boxed tune that gets the e-fans to turn on/off correctly and I am too cheap to pay $400 for a live tune just to resolve that. BP Automotive has been a pain to deal with...they act like it is impossible to have issues with their tune. I got a 2nd ecu tuned off ebay and it resolved the not being able to drive with the TPS plugged in issue so I am sure it is the tune. Also, I have belt squeal going on with the VA LS top mount system. The good thing is they have been very helpful and easy to work with. I try to be as nice as possible to CSR's as that job kinda sucks but some companies are a real pain to deal with which is why I try to buy from companies like Summit and avoid one-off businesses.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #166
TA_C10

Jeez man, what a pain. But glad you got it figured out, keep up the good progress!

"It's only money".
Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #167
CarlsLQ9SS

I just read your build thread from the beginning and from roof top until now you have come a long way! The stumbling issue you are having could it be the VSS? Also I built a LS swap harness for my brother in law for a ls swapped 240sx, and he had the same issue with the MAF. His ended up being a bad MAF sensor.
CarlsLQ9SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #168
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsLQ9SS View Post
I just read your build thread from the beginning and from roof top until now you have come a long way! The stumbling issue you are having could it be the VSS? Also I built a LS swap harness for my brother in law for a ls swapped 240sx, and he had the same issue with the MAF. His ended up being a bad MAF sensor.
I have all the tune issues worked out now less the e-fans. I replaced the MAF and TPS trying to resolve issues but neither fixed the issue I was having. The BP automotive tune I got was bad is all I can say. The only thing worse than their tune is whoever they have answering the phone...that person is flat out rude which is disappointing coming from a fellow Appalachian but that is neither here nor there. I got a $50 ebay tune from "Gravel Road Tuning" that fixed all my issues less e-fans which I am currently trying to figure out.

I have moved on from the rooftop but not far, I work on it across the street in an abandoned gravel parking lot. Will have to snap a picture of my new workspace, it doubles as the inner-city dump I believe.

Last edited by cebra; 08-21-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: update
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #169
CarlsLQ9SS

Good to hear, Im glad you got it figured out. I always use LT1swap.com for my swap computer tuning and have never had an issue. Brandan is top notch and always gets my computers back in a week. Truck is looking good!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #170
cebra

Quote:
Good to hear, Im glad you got it figured out. I always use LT1swap.com for my swap computer tuning and have never had an issue. Brandan is top notch and always gets my computers back in a week. Truck is looking good!
Good to know, should have went with him and may give a whirl depending no what I get this time. I am starting to think the e-fans on these things are extremely difficult to get to work. Waiting on tune #4 to get back and see what I get.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:13 PM   #171
CarlsLQ9SS

The efans are just turned on in the tune, from my understanding. I have never had any trouble with them so far.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #172
cebra

Quote:
The efans are just turned on in the tune, from my understanding. I have never had any trouble with them so far.
They are, have not been able to get a tune yet (3 attempts) that get them to turn on at all or at the right temp. Still working on it, mailing computers test, mail out again....probably take a couple months to resolve.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #173
cebra

Friday I pulled the hood and painted it, ran out of paint so need to touch it up a bit and found some rust on the hood I need to weld up as well. Barely got it down in time for rain/darkness. Saturday it rained all day so I couldn't load up the welder and tools to take to the shop. I did do some misc things such as painting emblems, fixing horn, painting/installing chrome trim on marker lights. I also took it for its first oil change on the LS...5,200 miles on it now. I should put another 5K miles on it by mid-October....very nice to have a turnkey driver vs the old carbureted 350.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #174
cebra

Sunday I was able to get some good work in, I didn't plan to replace as much of the PS door but it was in pretty rough shape. I just kept cutting and cutting and then I decided it would be easier to just replace the whole inner door bottom as the top weld would be behind the door panel. I cut out 2 large pieces on the outer skin to replace as well. I had good power to work with finally as well. I also added 1/2" square tube to my bed floor end where I cut it down. This was a good solution for me as my tailgate used to rub the bed floor pretty bad (repop tailgate doesn't fit very well).
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #175
CarlsLQ9SS

Major props to you for not giving up on the truck, especially not having a shop to do it in. Moving your tools from one place to another it a major hassle...Good job!