The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Ipafrank

LM7 swap in 66 C10

Hi, I'm replacing the 250 i6 in my 66 C 10. Purchased a donor 2004 Silverado crew cab with a 5.3 4l60e.
The motor plate, perch, mount info is a little unclear to me.
Do I need to purchase new plates,mounts ( clam shells) and perches.
Is there anything that can be reused?
Any recommendations as to best fits.
Ipafrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
61K10

Re: LM7 swap in 66 C10

have this moved to the ls swaps on the eng & drivetrain page

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
66 C10 383

I'm doing the same swap and yeah, it can be confusing. There are several ways you can go about this.

Some decisions to affect the final choice are, do you want to run electric fans or the stock LS mechanical fan. The engine needs to be back a little farther if using the mechanical fan.

Some guys can also place the engine so they can reuse the stock driveshaft. May have to redrill the frame to reposition the tranny crossmember.

Some frame perch/mount options will allow you to run the stock 5.3 ac compressor in the lower position. These can be retained without cutting the frame although the lines from the compressor get mighty tight in there.

Depending on your choices, you can use the stock frame perches and mounts by using adapter brackets or the slider brackets. Some of these will allow the LS bellhousing to be in the stock bellhousing location. They also let you move the engine forward different amounts by varying amounts depending on which adapter brackets you choose. Depending on your fabrication skills, the can also be made yourself.

You can also purchase aftermarket frame mounts if you want. There are several different companies who sell these. Some use the newer style 3 bolt Chevy motor mounts (with the bolts that go thru the mount rather than under the mount like stock).

Early Classic also sell a setup that uses the clamshell style motor mounts. These require you to narrow the top frame rail a small amount for the frame perches to sit properly (when the early 70's trucks came out with the big blocks, the frame was narrowed a small amount for exhaust manifold clearance so this small amount of narrowing shouldn't be much concern safety wise.) These mounts, from what I've been told, move the engine forward which requires running an electric fan due to lack of space for the mechanical fan.

I know this isn't/wasn/t the definitive "use these" answer you might have been looking for. Use it kinda as a guide for your choice. Your requirements will determine the final option.

Myself, I'm looking to shoot for the stock location bellhousing location for a farther rearward engine. That will allow me to run either a stock mechanical fan or electric fans. So I'm going to use the stock perches in the stock rear frame holes and an adapter bracket.

Old Build Thread - 383/T56
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=540838

Updated Build Thread - Modern Relic - 66 C10 536 Dark Aqua
5.3/4L60E - BTR Stage IV Truck Cam - Vintage Air - Dakota Digital
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=778784
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
theastronaut

The engine stands/perches for a 250 are the same as a small block, and they make small block to LS adapters so I'd go that route. It's best to keep the engine as far back as possible, trucks are already nose heavy. If you're adding AC to the truck the 5.3 A/C compressor is variable displacement and isn't compatible with Vintage Air or similar unit so it's not worth trying to make it fit in the stock location. I used brackets for a Sanden compressor from Qwik Performance when I added AC to a truck I 5.3 swapped, pn K10163.

Engine mount adapter plates:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/ICT-B...ne,381861.html

Compressor brackets.

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Ipafrank

Thanks for the info, I can't wait till the new set up is in my 66.
Gonna be a blast. I currently have an aftermarket a.c. system in the truck,loud but works great. Was in the truck when I bought it.
Ipafrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
scoot_mcgrute

For mine, I used the 250 frame stands, Energy Suspension poly mount for the 66 and then the ICT Billet motor mount adapters. Mine is in the forward most hole on the adapter plates and it is still tight on the firewall at the passenger valve cover but I love where it is at.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
raidmagic

I cut my cross member and used stock Vette mounts. I was able to fit the factory compressor in the factory spot on the engine this way. Everything seems to fit well.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote