The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #51
47thriftmaster

Re: '72 K5 Blazer CST = Yet another Build

Finally a little bit of an update, been hard at work and no time to work on the Blazer. Well Finally I've had some time, this past week, and was able to get some things worked on.

I made my decision on the wheels a while back, went with the 15x6 wheels, should look good. Out of the 5 wheels set I bought only 3 were good, they are cleaned and coated and waiting on 2 buddies to join them.

I cleaned up the front end of the frame, plugged some holes that were drilled into it for some reason. Got it back to the stock set-up for tow hooks.

The holes cleaned up.

Then welded.

Sanded, primed, and re-shaped the tow hook hole.

Frame is now off to be blasted then coated. I cleaned up all the front and rear axle parts so I could put them together. Got some bad news on the rear posi, one plate was cracked on both sides.

47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #52
47thriftmaster

So now I have to wait for some more parts to come in. Don't know if I had mentioned this before, but ratio's were off on the gears the front had 3.07 and the rear had 3.73. I figured I'll stay with the 3.73 and just need to replace the front ring and pinion, now I'll be replacing the rear as well. Not a problem, just wait for parts to come in then put them back together. I just need to have them done by the time my frame gets back. The housings are waiting patiently.

I also cleaned up my axles.

I got a few other small things cleaned up. Hopefully I will have some steady update for a while. Til next time.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #53
dujobu

Really nice work on those axles. I'm about to restore mine, and am curious…what method(s) did you use to clean then up? And what products did you use to paint them? Did you have the axles powder coated?
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #54
47thriftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dujobu View Post
Really nice work on those axles. I'm about to restore mine, and am curious…what method(s) did you use to clean then up? And what products did you use to paint them? Did you have the axles powder coated?
After seeing your question I thought to myself, why didn't I take pictures of each stage. I did that with the frame and all other parts. But anyway, first I cleaned them with a de-greaser in my parts cleaner. Then I taped off the axle shafts and sand blasted the heads of each axle, next was to clean them off again, tape them again then powder coat in iron grey. Once that was done I taped them off one more time, but this time at the 1/16" angle at the false hubs, light scuff and cleaning. Lastly I painted the false hubs with Rust-Oleum high temp blue paint, (It was the only color I could find here that matched the original color of the hubs, front and back, it also has better gas and oil resistance) then cured them with a heat gun. For the shafts, I just cleaned them, did not want to risk scuffing or mess up the balance even though its hardened steal, so they will remain bare.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #55
47thriftmaster

Frame is blasted, going to smooth out some imperfection then will be coated. It turned out nice, all the stamped codes on it were very clear. Not to much pitting on it at all, really just at the spring mounts.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #56
47thriftmaster

Little update to the Blazer. The frame is done and in the garage, now slowly putting it back together. Still looking for wheels, Have not had much luck with that, but still looking. May have to go a different route, again, like some 16x6.5 6 lug steels and see if I have better luck.

Only one picture today of the frame sitting on the floor with all the stuff being worked on around it.

Also a few for Randy, the work I did on the diff cover you sent me.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #57
47thriftmaster

One more thing to add, I've been working on the original hubs. I have two sets, they are not working the way I would like them to so going a different route on those as well.

Picked up a set of these, going to pull them apart and paint the inner knobs the same blue that matched the original plastic knobs. So at a distance they will look stock but have the strength of a modern manual hub.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #58
jaros44sr

youre attention to detail is amazing, thanks for posting up the pics

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #59
47thriftmaster

Thanks, it gets in my way sometime, I'm trying to do it right the first time and pictures explain things better than I do so they help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
youre attention to detail is amazing, thanks for posting up the pics
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #60
dujobu

AND you're a mountain biker (I see that yellow Specialized in the corner)?? Working on my Blazer and riding my mountain bike are two of my favorite things in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47thriftmaster View Post
Little update to the Blazer. The frame is done and in the garage, now slowly putting it back together. Still looking for wheels, Have not had much luck with that, but still looking. May have to go a different route, again, like some 16x6.5 6 lug steels and see if I have better luck.

Only one picture today of the frame sitting on the floor with all the stuff being worked on around it.

Also a few for Randy, the work I did on the diff cover you sent me.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #61
dujobu

Did you remove the rubber pieces where the leaf springs mount into the frame in when you powder coated? Or if you removed them, how did you get them out?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #62
47thriftmaster

Yes I removed them prior to blasting and coating. I dug them out in pieces until the remainder popped out, they are 2 pieces per side so you have to do the outside and inside of the frame for a total of 4 pieces. I think they are about 1.5" each bushing. Yes it was time consuming, some people just burn them out but I didn't want to make that much of a mess. Besides it was old rubber so not that bad. Yup, thats my bike but not much down hill riding here so it will go back in use when I move back to WA State.

Quote:
Did you remove the rubber pieces where the leaf springs mount into the frame in when you powder coated? Or if you removed them, how did you get them out?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #63
dujobu

Did you get replacement bushings to put in after the powder? Where did you find them?

Quote:
Yes I removed them prior to blasting and coating. I dug them out in pieces until the remainder popped out, they are 2 pieces per side so you have to do the outside and inside of the frame for a total of 4 pieces. I think they are about 1.5" each bushing. Yes it was time consuming, some people just burn them out but I didn't want to make that much of a mess. Besides it was old rubber so not that bad. Yup, thats my bike but not much down hill riding here so it will go back in use when I move back to WA State.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #64
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking good!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #65
47thriftmaster

I sure did, I got them direct from energy suspension their black poly bushings. Hopefully you will see that in my next update.

Quote:
Did you get replacement bushings to put in after the powder? Where did you find them?
Thank you Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Looking good!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #66
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I may have a couple rims here. what size hub hole are yours? I will check them out tomorrow and let you know.

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #67
47thriftmaster

Richard,
The hub holes on mine are 3.5". Thanks for taking a look for me. Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I may have a couple rims here. what size hub hole are yours? I will check them out tomorrow and let you know.

Richard
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #68
dujobu

Just checked out Energy Suspension's website and there seem to be a lot of options…what size bushings did you get?

Quote:
I sure did, I got them direct from energy suspension their black poly bushings. Hopefully you will see that in my next update.

Thank you Jonathan
Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #69
47thriftmaster

I will have to check in the morning, did you just want the upper shackle bushing number?

Quote:
Just checked out Energy Suspension's website and there seem to be a lot of options…what size bushings did you get?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #70
dujobu

To be honest, I'm new to this and not sure what I need. My Blazer is a '71 and I need to replace all the leaf spring bushings front and rear. That's all I know.

Thanks.

Quote:
I will have to check in the morning, did you just want the upper shackle bushing number?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #71
47thriftmaster

Ok, this is what I got for mine (all in black bushings, they are better than the red in my opinion) for the front part #3.2105 it will have everything you need for the front springs. For the back part #3.2106, it will have everything you need for the rear springs. Those will work for you as 71 and 72 Blazers are pretty much the same. Hope that helps you.

To replace the bolts, I just got zinc coated grade 8 bolts locally.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm new to this and not sure what I need. My Blazer is a '71 and I need to replace all the leaf spring bushings front and rear. That's all I know.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #72
richard2717

Monte,
I have a total of 4 rims here with the 3.5" hub but only one that I would feel comfortable saying is worth reusing.the rust on the back side of the rim appears to be just surface, no pits or flakes. The others have some pitting issues and one of them was a bit wider. I have attached some pics of it including the measurements. rim measures 6.5" outside to outside on the flange and backspacing apears to be 4 or 4.25" depending where you actually look. i dont know if there were two different sizes that close so I will leave it at that. I have no use for the rim so its yours if you pay for the ride. I would need your zip for a quote. Let me know if you want it.

Richard
Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #73
dujobu

Thanks I appreciate it. I got the bushings out of the frame and some of the leaf spring ones out no problem. But there are several that are a different design. They have a steel sleeve around them, and the inner sleeve has small teeth on the ends. I can't get them out. Any tips?

Quote:
Ok, this is what I got for mine (all in black bushings, they are better than the red in my opinion) for the front part #3.2105 it will have everything you need for the front springs. For the back part #3.2106, it will have everything you need for the rear springs. Those will work for you as 71 and 72 Blazers are pretty much the same. Hope that helps you.

To replace the bolts, I just got zinc coated grade 8 bolts locally.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #74
47thriftmaster

Richard,
Thank you for taking the time to check the wheels out. That is usually the problem, finding wheels that are still worth using at a reasonable price. Thanks for the offer but your only good wheel is not the same as what I have, My wheel mounting surface is the smooth type. It's funny, I have found more of the "rare" 15x8 wheels around here than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Monte,
I have a total of 4 rims here with the 3.5" hub but only one that I would feel comfortable saying is worth reusing.the rust on the back side of the rim appears to be just surface, no pits or flakes. The others have some pitting issues and one of them was a bit wider. I have attached some pics of it including the measurements. rim measures 6.5" outside to outside on the flange and backspacing apears to be 4 or 4.25" depending where you actually look. i dont know if there were two different sizes that close so I will leave it at that. I have no use for the rim so its yours if you pay for the ride. I would need your zip for a quote. Let me know if you want it.

Richard
Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #75
richard2717

No problem.